Sponsored by:

[Z06] From M3 to Z06 (possibly)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 12:21 PM
EOD_M3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: From M3 to Z06 (2002 Z06)

Great post. I've tried to drive a Z06 a few times, but the dealers around here won't let you test drive one unless you've done the papperwork and our serious about buying. I understand their position, since you can't drive an M3 unless you do the same. I have NO doubt that I will be nothing short of *thrilled* by the performance and exhaust sound. 12.1's? Wow! Hopefully I'll be able to drive one one of these days.

That really is an amazing price that you paid for your car. That's significantly less than MSRP, is it not? You CAN'T get an M3 for less than MSRP (well maybe a few hundred dollars here and there, but you know what I mean). When I "built my own" Z06 on the Chevrolet website, the car was around $52,500.00 before taxes and fees. Plus, the mods are so inexpensive it blows me away. JohnC5 wrote in a earlier post that you can upgrade the interior on the C5. I went to the website and saw that the "Executive Package" runs for $1,125.00 minus shipping. So I could conservatively use a figure of $1,200.00 for a far nicer interior. With the price you paid for the car, plus the mods, plus the interior upgrades, it would still be app. 11k less than my car. *VERY* impressive indeed. Now, do you have to pay for tune-ups and oil changes if you don't do them yourselves? I imagine most 'vette owners perform the basic maintence themselves (I would as well if I owned one), but it's a LOT more difficult to perform the basics on an M3. Especially when you have to get your oil (10W60 synthetic) from the dealership already. One thing that's nice is that with BMW, all maintenance is free for 4 years/50,000 miles. The only thing you pay for is new tires.

Another question for you guys (or Peter); why is the resale value so bad with these cars? I would think that all 'vettes would hold their value better than any other American production car, and be at least comparible in resale to the German cars. According to Peter, the resale value is "horrible". Why is that? (serious question guys, not a flame on the Corvette in any way whatsoever). Thank you all for the great input. I knew what I was asking for when coming to a Z06 Forum to ask about switching from an M3 to a Z06, but most everyone here has been very unbiased and honest. I really appreciate that.

Scott

I have had my '02 Z06 for one year now and in two years I will have a second one sitting side by side next to it in my garage. M3 owner, have you ever drove a current Z06. I know you would be VERY impressed with the performance and surprised by its ride quality. I also owned a '99coupe Z51 and the Z06 actually gives me a more compliant ride around town. Probably due to the lack of run flats. Anyway, my car exhibits no rattles, no squeaks, no vibrations and one of the most killer exhaust sounds you will get from a stock production car. Yes i agree the interior could use some work. But on a Friday night i would drive down to Raceway Park with the AC blasting listening to my favorite rock CD in 90 degree weather, clip off 12.4-12.5 et's
at @ 116 bone stock and then drive 45 miles all the way back home smiling
getting 28 miles to the gallon. This all for the 46,095 I paid for the car.
P.S. Since i have added an x-pipe ($259) and vortex ram air ($249). I am now running 12.1-12.2 @118(everything else stock including tires). All this for a total of 46,603. Now is there any car on the planet that could compare?

:nono:
Old 05-20-2003, 01:14 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Default Re: From M3 to Z06 (rbartick)

They offset the losses in car line by profits from truck/SUV sales.

As for gaps - check the space between doors and dash. This is my second C5 and the gaps are still there

How in the world could GM stay in business if the only car they make a profit on is a Corvette? This post sounds very wrong to me. Where are you getting this info?

No car is perfect but I think you would be a lot happier in an M3. I never even noticed "huge panel gaps" in my Z06.

[Modified by rbartick, 11:02 AM 5/20/2003]
Old 05-20-2003, 01:28 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: From M3 to Z06 (EOD_M3)

I think that, the vette's resale value suffered a big hit recently due to two factors: overproduction and 0% financing.

Another factor might be the fact that the long term reliability is shady - my 99 had 15 dealership visits in the last two years of ownership. All of the problems were minor e.g. power steering leaks, rear axel leaks, some sensor going out. But chevy service exacerbates them by not able to fix it the first time e.g. my steering pump was fixed only on the forth attempt.
Also these fixes are temporary - e.g. faulty part is replaced with the same faulty part.

On the other hand M3 resale is remarkable. My friend bought of the first M3s in 2001 and sold it two and half years and 19K miles later for just $5K less.
A 01 Z06 had similar purchasing price but 2.5 years later and with 19K has a market value of about $35K which is about $15K loss.

Another question for you guys (or Peter); why is the resale value so bad with these cars? I would think that all 'vettes would hold their value better than any other American production car, and be at least comparible in resale to the German cars. According to Peter, the resale value is "horrible". Why is that? (serious question guys, not a flame on the Corvette in any way whatsoever). Thank you all for the great input. I knew what I was asking for when coming to a Z06 Forum to ask about switching from an M3 to a Z06, but most everyone here has been very unbiased and honest. I really appreciate that.

Scott

I have had my '02 Z06 for one year now and in two years I will have a second one sitting side by side next to it in my garage. M3 owner, have you ever drove a current Z06. I know you would be VERY impressed with the performance and surprised by its ride quality. I also owned a '99coupe Z51 and the Z06 actually gives me a more compliant ride around town. Probably due to the lack of run flats. Anyway, my car exhibits no rattles, no squeaks, no vibrations and one of the most killer exhaust sounds you will get from a stock production car. Yes i agree the interior could use some work. But on a Friday night i would drive down to Raceway Park with the AC blasting listening to my favorite rock CD in 90 degree weather, clip off 12.4-12.5 et's
at @ 116 bone stock and then drive 45 miles all the way back home smiling
getting 28 miles to the gallon. This all for the 46,095 I paid for the car.
P.S. Since i have added an x-pipe ($259) and vortex ram air ($249). I am now running 12.1-12.2 @118(everything else stock including tires). All this for a total of 46,603. Now is there any car on the planet that could compare?

:nono:
Old 05-20-2003, 01:59 PM
johnC5
Burning Brakes

Compare the interior (instrument cluster) of the 996TT (no HUD option) to the Corvette.

Compare to the Z06 with HUD:

When you're driving, what do you look at most of the time (other than the road) ;) .

More pics of the 996TT interior here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2415409796

(I've checked out the 996TT in person, pictures don't show all the quality differences). Does the 996TT have a higher quality interior: Yes. Is it $50,000+ better quality. No. However, like most things you have to pay exponentially more for incrementally better quality (unless you are willing to do the work/upgrades yourself in which case the resulting work is priceless).
Old 05-20-2003, 02:22 PM
johnC5
Burning Brakes

Default Re: From M3 to Z06 (PeterK)

I think that, the vette's resale value suffered a big hit recently due to two factors: overproduction and 0% financing.

Another factor might be the fact that the long term reliability is shady - my 99 had 15 dealership visits in the last two years of ownership. All of the problems were minor e.g. power steering leaks, rear axel leaks, some sensor going out. But chevy service exacerbates them by not able to fix it the first time e.g. my steering pump was fixed only on the forth attempt.
Also these fixes are temporary - e.g. faulty part is replaced with the same faulty part.

On the other hand M3 resale is remarkable. My friend bought of the first M3s in 2001 and sold it two and half years and 19K miles later for just $5K less.
A 01 Z06 had similar purchasing price but 2.5 years later and with 19K has a market value of about $35K which is about $15K loss.

Scott
:iagree:

[Modified by johnC5, 11:25 AM 5/20/2003]
Old 05-20-2003, 02:45 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

As for gaps - check the space between doors and dash. This is my second C5 and the gaps are still there
That gap does not bother me at all. I would not expect the door to sit flush with the dash. No car is perfect and I still do not believe that GM does not make a profit on any other cars.

[Modified by rbartick, 2:46 PM 5/20/2003]
Old 05-20-2003, 03:17 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: From M3 to Z06 (rbartick)

Well, somehow these gap are not present in all other cars I've driven, including hynday elantra rentals. I really don't expect to see any gaps on a car with a $50K price tag.

I also have gripes against GM weatherstrip quality, which even in B/N cars doesn't looks as good as in my 10 years old mazda 626. The weatherstip on my coupe completely deteriorate at the top joint points and was leaking badly - not acceptable for a 4 year old car with 25K miles on it. And yes I did use GM silicon lube.

I've heard on business analysis that currently GM looses money on their car fleet with exception of corvette and caddies. In fact they say that the reason GM sells cars at such a loss is because it has to maintain certain average MPG for its entire fleet of cars + trucks.

That gap does not bother me at all. I would not expect the door to sit flush with the dash. No car is perfect and I still do not believe that GM does not make a profit on any other cars.

[Modified by rbartick, 2:46 PM 5/20/2003]

[Modified by PeterK, 2:18 PM 5/20/2003]
Old 05-20-2003, 05:25 PM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a hard choice that I also had to make when it was time to get rid of my 99.
I've looked into M3 and really liked it - very nice interior, the best resale value, decent power.
I've taken Z06 because it was much more fun car to drive. I do regret the horrible resale value and overall assembly/fit quality is very poor compare to BMW.
So honestly - unless you really need to feel the explosive power - stay with the bimmer.
[Modified by PeterK, 7:18 PM 5/19/2003]

If your going to race, go with the Z. If your not, stay with the M3, and live happily ever after.

[Modified by tlaselva, 5:27 PM 5/20/2003]
Old 05-20-2003, 05:59 PM
rwd
Burning Brakes

Even Z06 are selling $4-5K off MSRP.
Not everywhere. Not even close.

There is no mystery about vettes in general and Z's in particular. You can find out everything you need to know about them in less than an hour on the internet.

If you don't like the interior, the gaps or anything else that is obvious either from that or the first time you look at the car, don't buy it.

They are what they are. If you want more, spend more.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:48 PM
fstvette
Burning Brakes

I just bought a Z06 and I have a diffrent OPINION about the interior. I love it, I think it is a lot better than the M3. I didn't like the orange digital displays in the M3 and I thought the interior looked too plain (especially without the GPS). I really didn't like the fact that the engine recall on the M3 is being done by the local shops. The power of the Z06 and handling(especially at higher speeds) is superior.

On the M3 plus side I think its exterior styling is far superior, and it does have a GPS option but that's about it. The back seat isn't very practical so that isn't really a plus unless you have small kids.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:30 PM
EOD_M3
Instructor

Default Re: From M3 to Z06 (fstvette)

FWIW, the engine recall is only for late 2001 to mid 2002 builds, not the new ones. Also BMW has given all 2001 and newer M3's a 6 year/100,000 mile warranty on the engine. I guess it's their way of making up for some of the problems of the past. I appreciate that you like the Z06's interior. Not the norm from what I've seen, but I appreciate it nonetheless. And yes, the power and handling of the Z06 is superior. There are very few cars that it is not superior to in those categories. As far as options for the M3, the back seat will fit average-size adults (under 6'0) comfortably, no problem at all. And there is one option that you forgot to mention, and it happens to be one of the main reasons I bought my car. SMG II. It's absolutely incredible. I can't say enough about it. Thanks for the response.

Scott

I just bought a Z06 and I have a diffrent OPINION about the interior. I love it, I think it is a lot better than the M3. I didn't like the orange digital displays in the M3 and I thought the interior looked too plain (especially without the GPS). I really didn't like the fact that the engine recall on the M3 is being done by the local shops. The power of the Z06 and handling(especially at higher speeds) is superior.

On the M3 plus side I think its exterior styling is far superior, and it does have a GPS option but that's about it. The back seat isn't very practical so that isn't really a plus unless you have small kids.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:37 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: From M3 to Z06 (fstvette)

Just shows one more time that tastes are different.

I'm the oposite - I think that M3 looks a bit too plain outside and very nice inside.
I also didn't think that rear seats are any different from say a 3XXC models e.g. they will support an adult - not like a stang for sure.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:05 PM
pk2401
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 102 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

If your looking for great interior for a sports car in the ~$50,000, pick your poison. You can have a: Boxster nice interior, not superior performance. Same goes for the SLK32 AMG; awesome interior not superior performance numbers. Or you can have b: Z06 so, so interior but superior performance numbers. If you want the best of both worlds you are gonna have to look for a ride near the 75K mark or even higher. True they are overpriced, IMO, but that's what's out there.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:25 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: From M3 to Z06 (pk2401)

I've heard that these AMG CLKs will run mid 12s with just a pulley change. But I've never looked into that car due to the fact that it only comes with a slush box

If your looking for great interior for a sports car in the ~$50,000, pick your poison. You can have a: Boxster nice interior, not superior performance. Same goes for the SLK32 AMG; awesome interior not superior performance numbers. Or you can have b: Z06 so, so interior but superior performance numbers. If you want the best of both worlds you are gonna have to look for a ride near the 75K mark or even higher. True they are overpriced, IMO, but that's what's out there.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:09 PM
JACSZ06
Instructor

I too looked at an M3 before buying my Z06. I think the M3 is a beautiful car inside and out. I drove one and really liked the handling and all around feel of the car. But then I drove the Z06. It felt like a monster compared to the M3. Power everywhere. I didn't even think about how spartan the interior is not that it really bothers me anyway. The future C6 no one really knows the power numbers but it has been rumored that the Z06 might have 500hp, six speed manual, even less weight, and an upgraded interior to reflect the price. If you want to test drive a current Z06, find a used one on a dealer lot. Act VERY serious about trading in your M3 for one. Tell the salesperson you've heard the Z06 was very fast but you're not sure it's better than your M3. Dress nice. They'll let you drive it. :thumbs:
Old 05-20-2003, 09:28 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: From M3 to Z06 (JACSZ06)

I too looked at an M3 before buying my Z06. I think the M3 is a beautiful car inside and out. I drove one and really liked the handling and all around feel of the car. But then I drove the Z06. It felt like a monster compared to the M3. Power everywhere. I didn't even think about how spartan the interior is not that it really bothers me anyway. The future C6 no one really knows the power numbers but it has been rumored that the Z06 might have 500hp, six speed manual, even less weight, and an upgraded interior to reflect the price. If you want to test drive a current Z06, find a used one on a dealer lot. Act VERY serious about trading in your M3 for one. Tell the salesperson you've heard the Z06 was very fast but you're not sure it's better than your M3. Dress nice. They'll let you drive it. :thumbs:
Old 05-20-2003, 10:38 PM
2002 Z06
Instructor

Peter, Absolutely not true, I don't know where you heard that but an AMG CLK55 would have a VERY difficult time even breaking into the 12's with just a pulley swap. I have a friend who races one and at best it is a mid 13 second et car. Tranny needs the work and more pull at high rpms :nonod:

Get notified of new replies

To From M3 to Z06 (possibly)

Old 05-20-2003, 10:53 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: From M3 to Z06 (2002 Z06)

I'm actually talking about supercharged CLK32 - which come stock with like 345HP.
I've heard this on a BMW forum so you might be right. I've never looked into this car simply because it doens't come with a stick shift.

Peter, Absolutely not true, I don't know where you heard that but an AMG CLK55 would have a VERY difficult time even breaking into the 12's with just a pulley swap. I have a friend who races one and at best it is a mid 13 second et car. Tranny needs the work and more pull at high rpms :nonod:
Old 05-20-2003, 10:56 PM
2002 Z06
Instructor

Hey Scott,
That price of $46095 was with a $5300 discount off the sticker and since I traded in my '99 coupe, I only paid tax on the difference. It truely was an exceptional deal. Yes I do ALL the maintenance on my car including the air and exhaust mods. I know there has been alot of chatter about resale, and like all the vintage vettes, there are many variables to consider when purchasing one. I do not think the resale of the vette is as bad as everyone portrays it to be. First alot more vettes are produced than M3's so availability is greater and second the price on an M3 is inflatted tremendously. I can't imagine paying OVER sticker for any car.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:59 PM
2002 Z06
Instructor

Peter, Do you mean SLK32?

Quick Reply: [Z06] From M3 to Z06 (possibly)