Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 08:47 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Weather stripping Emulsion.

A month or two ago there was a post asking what to use on the weatherstripping. I posted a pic of the GM emulsion that I use. Instead of what a lot of people here use which is dielectric grease.

Someone said the emulsion had been discontinued. Well I was at the dealership today and bought some more. New label and part number. I just thought you would like to check it out. I think this stuff is great. It actually puffs up dried out weatherstripping. Without being greasey.

The old container is on the left. New one on the right.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:35 PM
Jody19SebringGS
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Stock Man, this is perfect timing. I was the one that asked you a couple of months ago about the silicone emulsion. I showed the photos and part number to my friend that works at a GM dealer, but they were never able to find it in the system and order it for me.

Well, I went to search for the thread you posted with pics, so I could try a different dealer, but it must not have been transferred from the old software. I did find this thread, and with new photos and part number as well!

Thank you, your help is appreciated.
Jody
Old 07-24-2004, 06:22 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jodys98Torch
Hey Stock Man, this is perfect timing. I was the one that asked you a couple of months ago about the silicone emulsion. I showed the photos and part number to my friend that works at a GM dealer, but they were never able to find it in the system and order it for me.

Well, I went to search for the thread you posted with pics, so I could try a different dealer, but it must not have been transferred from the old software. I did find this thread, and with new photos and part number as well!

Thank you, your help is appreciated.
Jody
Jody,

I've tried several different GM dealers in my part of the country with out any luck. Seems as many of the GM dealers have quit stocking it for whatever reason since it went from a GM label product to the AC/Delco label. Most have suggested checking with the larger suppliers or distributors of the AC/Delco brand in my area which I haven't done yet. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:30 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

2015 C5 of Year Finalist

You would think with the part number they would order it in!!! It's $5.00 up here which means it's about $3.50 down there. Not a major item to keep your customers happy. I wonder if Ken Fichtner could get some and sell it here on the forum?
Old 07-24-2004, 06:33 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is this stuff designed for? I ask because the dielectric grease is what is recommended by GM.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:59 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stock Man
You would think with the part number they would order it in!!! It's $5.00 up here which means it's about $3.50 down there. Not a major item to keep your customers happy. I wonder if Ken Fichtner could get some and sell it here on the forum?
I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. What the GM dealers here have told me is that not all AC/Delco part numbers show in their GM ordering system and when they check, the one for the emulsion does not. I also checked GMpartsdirect.com and they're not showing it either.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:54 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Shylor
What is this stuff designed for? I ask because the dielectric grease is what is recommended by GM.
About 10 years ago when I bought a Bonneville the dealer turned me onto the emulsion for the weatherstripping. I've been using it ever since and it works wonders on even older weatherstripping. Puffs up old weatherstripping like new. And I just thought I'd past it on if anyone here wanted to try it. But it sounds like everyone here is using the dielectric grease for their striping and seem to be happy with the results. But I just though some would like to try this as a change of pace. And it' pretty cheap and is a GM or AC/Delco product. So that's what's up with the emulsion. Hope that helps.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:35 AM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

About 10 years ago when I bought a Bonneville the dealer turned me onto the emulsion for the weatherstripping. I've been using it ever since and it works wonders on even older weatherstripping. Puffs up old weatherstripping like new. And I just thought I'd past it on if anyone here wanted to try it. But it sounds like everyone here is using the dielectric grease for their striping and seem to be happy with the results. But I just though some would like to try this as a change of pace. And it' pretty cheap and is a GM or AC/Delco product. So that's what's up with the emulsion. Hope that helps.
You can buy a tube of dielectric grease for a couple of bucks. Work well but you must use it sparingly.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:04 AM
Jody19SebringGS
Burning Brakes

GrayC5,
Thanks for the info. It appears I may still have some difficulty finding the emulsion, but I'll give my usual channels a try. Then if I have to, an AC Delco supplier.

Stock man,
I agree, it seems like a simple thing for a dealer to stock, or at least find. Ken Fichtner or Fred Beans may be able to find it.

FWIW, I know the manual recommends the dielectric grease and a lot of people have good results with it, and that's fine. I just don't like using it, and wanted to try something different....easier to spread, and no greasy residue. It's all good.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:54 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Okay but again I ask, what is this stuff for?
Old 07-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I missed the original post. I use dielectric grease on my weather-stripping.

You need to be careful with some sprays, make sure the propellant is good (compatiable) with weatherseals. If it "puffing up the gaskets" I woud be concerned.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:05 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

........ Instead of what a lot of people here use which is dielectric grease. ......
I just use dielectric grease as specified in the Owner's Manual.

Seems to me GM is going to specify what is best for the seals. Why use something different? The dielectric grease works well, is widely available, and is inexpensive.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,284 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for sharing. I need to do something with my weatherstripping. I'll have to give the parts department a call.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

I'm going to try this one more time. What is the emulsion stuff designed for?
Old 07-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Jody19SebringGS
Burning Brakes

I'm going to try this one more time. What is the emulsion stuff designed for?
I don't know what the official description says, but if I come across that info, I'll let you know.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:22 AM
GrayC5
Race Director

Stock Man can better answer this as he's used it where the rest of us haven't. But if my memory serves me correctly from his original post, one of the suggested uses for this emulsion is for conditioning and preserving of weather stripping without the greasy feel of the dielectric grease. You might send him an IM.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:21 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Stock Man did not say this product stated it was used for conditioning and preserving weatherstripping. He said that he used it for that. I want to know what the intended purpose of this product is, not what people have used it for.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:31 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

2015 C5 of Year Finalist

You got my attention!!!! Here's what the label on the back states.

ACDelco Silicone Emulsion has been developed to meet General Motors engineering specifications. Use it to keep weatherstripping soft and free from sticking. Paint on stripping and let dry.

That's it!!! And that's what I have been using for about 10 years now. I don't put it on very liberally. I spread it right out and found it works great. Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:13 AM
GrayC5
Race Director

Stock Man did not say this product stated it was used for conditioning and preserving weatherstripping. He said that he used it for that. I want to know what the intended purpose of this product is, not what people have used it for.
Gosh Shylor. Sorry to see you're having such a bad night. Try slowly reading again what was said. Don't think anyone said Stock Man said that. I said "if my memory serves me correctly" that was "one of the suggested uses" (in referring to his other post). I also suggested that "You might send him an IM."

Last edited by GrayC5; 07-26-2004 at 03:48 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Weather stripping Emulsion.

Quick Reply: Weather stripping Emulsion.