Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Water is getting into my blower fan!??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 11:25 PM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help! Water is getting into my blower fan!??

Has anyone had this problem before? I pulled the fan out but couldn't find anything wrong. I then stuck some coat hanger wire up in the drain tube but there doesn't seem to be any blockage as I had the car idle with the a.c. on max and it would drain out. When I drive the car and make a right hand turn I can hear water getting in the fan. Any ideas?
Old 07-31-2004, 12:22 AM
sebringsilver97coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure about this car's set up, but i have heard of heater cores leaking into the case doing the same thing in some other vehicles...have u checked ot make sure u dont have a water leak from outside leaking water inside somehow? good luck, and let us know in case we have same problem..
Old 07-31-2004, 12:34 AM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Well it hasn't rained in awhile and when I felt the water around the fan and smelled it,it didn't smell like antifreeze so I think it's comming from around the coil.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:09 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

That's a new one. Let's hope someone here can help you out. Whatever the case let us know what you find.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:22 AM
Tombone
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car use to be parked out side by the previous owner. There are as I remember a couple of drains on both sides of the car behind the front wheels. They are shaped like cow udders and held a ton of junk.
Good luck, Tom.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:47 AM
pletner
Burning Brakes

I didn't know the a.c. had two drains. I'll have to check the driver's side.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:51 AM
Pipes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember reading that some guy dismantaled the section just in front of the firewall and found all kinds of stuff, like carpet fibre, clogging up the works. So, maybe it will take more than the coat hanger.

Anyway, before water gets into the computer below the passenger's floor board, pop the computer out, put it in a plastic bag, and pop it back into place. This may help prevent an expensive computer replacement.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (09-11-2017)
Old 07-31-2004, 10:35 AM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by pletner
Has anyone had this problem before? I pulled the fan out but couldn't find anything wrong. I then stuck some coat hanger wire up in the drain tube but there doesn't seem to be any blockage as I had the car idle with the a.c. on max and it would drain out. When I drive the car and make a right hand turn I can hear water getting in the fan. Any ideas?
The blower motor is mounted in the evaporator case next to the evaporator and will fill with water only if the evaporator case is not fully draining.Best thing to do is cut the hole in the drain tube to make it bigger.It is also possible that you have some debris in the evap case that is dirupting the flow of condensation to the drain itself. If you remove the blower motor you will be able to reach around in the case to remove any debris.You should then use compressed air to clear out the drain path...
Old 07-31-2004, 10:39 AM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Tombone
My car use to be parked out side by the previous owner. There are as I remember a couple of drains on both sides of the car behind the front wheels. They are shaped like cow udders and held a ton of junk.
Good luck, Tom.
These drains are not for the A/C,they are for rain water that enters the wiper cowl area If they were plugged,water could in fact enter the cabin through a body seam,but not likely through the evaporator
Old 08-01-2004, 03:51 PM
pletner
Burning Brakes

I was able to use a long plastic tie to get up into the drain hose and when I did water gushed out! Apparently there was some dust+water=mud blocking the drain. Oh well alls well that ends well!
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (09-11-2017)
Old 08-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Good news!! I'll have to try that myself just incase things build up in there. Thanks for the post. Not enough guys tell the outcome of their problems. Great post!!
Old 08-01-2004, 09:27 PM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

FYI: They finally got rid of the "cow teet" evap/AC drain in 2004. It is just a molded piece with a big hole. Glad GM listens and makes improvements.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Y2KVert
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor 06

Originally Posted by pletner
I was able to use a long plastic tie to get up into the drain hose and when I did water gushed out! Apparently there was some dust+water=mud blocking the drain. Oh well alls well that ends well!
You are really lucky. I had the same problem last weekend. Long story short car went to the shop on a roll back, the new BCM ( Body Control Module) will be here this week.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:55 PM
gt1racer3
5th Gear

I have the same on going problem.
I took the blower out and ran a vacuum hose in the hole about a year ago. I got a lot of leaves out.
I clean all the drains 3 times a year and still I have water getting into the AC blower and killing it.
I have filter mesh material over the cowl induction under the hood and I'm still getting leaves in the system.

(Oh yes the drain hose on the blower goes up from the blower. Great engineering GM)

Any other ideas as to how to fix these problems?
Old 09-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Daypoblue
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

There is a small drain on the firewall.
Mine was clogged. Took a piece of coat hanger & was able to get it opened.

I had to get the car in the air to have access to it.
Impossible to reach from the top... Having small hands would help to.
Water gushed out of mine once I inserted the wire. No problems since.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There are a few things here that are not being identified properly.

The windshield cowl well (TROUGH) area does a couple of things. It collects rain/water run off and directs the water to the left and right fender well areas away from the body.

YES, The trough UDDERS can and do become clogged. If all FOUR become clogged, that trough will fill full of water and that water WILL enter the AIR BOX! It will also flood out the windshield motor controller and cause it to do all sorts of weird stuff!

The HVAC OUTSIDE AIR enters the air box from under the small metal plate on the passengers side of the cowl well

The small opening under that metal plate near the passengers side of the cowl is where the HVAC System gets its air. Its also where the MICE get in!

Here is the HVAC Air Box fresh air opening:

There is ONE large drain tube on the passengers side and THREE on the drivers side:

PASSENGERS SIDE HOSE (disconnected from cowl):

This is the part that sticks shut and where the crap collects to clog up the hose:

The small RUBBER HOSE on the HVAC Motor is there to help keep the motor cool. It takes a bit of the cool air from the air box and pushes it through the motor. I've actually had that hose condensate and drip water onto the BCM on my 98. I wrapped some bubble wrap around it to keep it from forming condensation.

If you can hear water SLOSHING around the air box and into the fan housing, the HVAC Air Box is NOT draining. When the AC evaporator cools it develops condensation. Condensation water sometimes develops a SNOT LIKE SLIME and that crap can plug up the air box drain. You can use compressed air and blow it back into the air box and remove the fan and retrieve it and any other debris by hand. The small rubber 90 degree boot that fits onto the fire wall drain can also get clogged up and or stick shut. IF, you remove that tube or cut the end completely off of the tube, you will allow a significant volume of nice cool interior cabin air out to cool the engine compartment:

Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Curlee:
Davcruz (07-07-2023), knewblewkorvette (09-11-2017), Pounder (09-11-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Water is getting into my blower fan!??

Quick Reply: Help! Water is getting into my blower fan!??