Sponsored by:

Can you powerbrake in "Competitive Mode?"

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Busa196
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can you powerbrake in "Competitive Mode?"

I tried to bump up the RPM's in my car for a good launch yesterday and was surprised to see that my car wouldn't let me do it- it would just retard itself. With the t/c and AH turned off, it was no prob, but I'd really like to keep the AH on to help me with the 500rwhp.

I swear I've powerbraked it before in Competitive Mode......No?

Any thoughts?

-Jason-
Old 10-12-2004, 02:39 PM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No reason why you cant.

It only turns off Traction Control so the wheels can slip and it wont reduce your engine power. Other than that you can drive the same as you do.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:15 PM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

I don't think you could do that in a pre-2001 or 2002 Vette. I know I can't do it in my 2000 - bogs down when I try to do a burnout. I'd have to turn everything off, which is not what I want to do - Active handling is everything its supposed to be.

I'm sure someone else will chime in, but I'm pretty sure they fixed it in later C5 years.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:20 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

What kind of tires are you using to plant that kind of power to the pavement? I can't imagine why power braking is necessary with 500 RWHP.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Busa196
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TOBASCO
I don't think you could do that in a pre-2001 or 2002 Vette. I know I can't do it in my 2000 - bogs down when I try to do a burnout. I'd have to turn everything off, which is not what I want to do - Active handling is everything its supposed to be.

I'm sure someone else will chime in, but I'm pretty sure they fixed it in later C5 years.
Finally, someone else who has experienced the same thing. Thanks for the reply, and I hope someone chimes in and confirms what you've said. I agree- having to turn off the t/c and AH on the dragstrip kind of defeats the whole purpose. I'd really like the comfort of knowing the AH was there.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Busa196
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by StevieB
What kind of tires are you using to plant that kind of power to the pavement? I can't imagine why power braking is necessary with 500 RWHP.

295/35/18 BFG Drag Radials 10.5 inch rims. I don't need to power brake it a lot- just enough to get under a little boost for a solid launch. I need all the help I can get with the 2.73 in my car. From a dead stop, with the BFG's on and no power braking, it will barely chirp the tires....and I mean barely. It's a lot worse from a 35mph role- it's almost undriveable without the AH on.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:01 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for the Active Handling. First Generation was 97-00. Second Generation was 01+.

I've been able to spin my rear wheels off a launch in competition mode in first, but having a manual tranny, street tires and a Z, I don't need to power brake. All I would do would be waste a lot of miles on my street tires.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:43 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Busa196
295/35/18 BFG Drag Radials 10.5 inch rims. I don't need to power brake it a lot- just enough to get under a little boost for a solid launch. I need all the help I can get with the 2.73 in my car. From a dead stop, with the BFG's on and no power braking, it will barely chirp the tires....and I mean barely. It's a lot worse from a 35mph role- it's almost undriveable without the AH on.
Wow, those tires must really have grip. My car has an A4, 3.15 rear end, and stock run flats. The only performance mods are Stinger air intake W/cool air mod, reprogramed/torque management removed, and GHL bullet cat back. From a dead start with no powre braking it will smoke the tires and go sideways all the way through 1st and 2nd.It's a 98 with active handling. I do those burn outs in comp. driving mode. I don't race, I just do that once and a while for fun.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Busa196
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by StevieB
From a dead start with no powre braking it will smoke the tires and go sideways all the way through 1st and 2nd.It's a 98 with active handling. I do those burn outs in comp. driving mode. I don't race, I just do that once and a while for fun.
My car did the same thing when it was bone stock. There's no comparison between the stock EMT's and 295 BFG DR's with 20 psi on a 10'5 inch rim.....not to mention the 2.73.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:24 PM
srchief100
Burning Brakes

The A/H is doing what it is supposed to do while trying to power brake; helping you to maintain control. With it turned off, or into competitive driving mode you can power brake the rubber right off the tires. I suppose you could power brake with A/H off and then once out of the hole push the button back on if you feel like you can drive with one hand for a second. Man, that is some good pony's on the ground
Old 10-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Busa196
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by srchief100
The A/H is doing what it is supposed to do while trying to power brake; helping you to maintain control.
Actually, that's the t/c that does that, not the AH- I think.

With it turned off, or into competitive driving mode you can power brake the rubber right off the tires.
Nope- that's my prob. It won't- the T/C is shutting down the motor.

I suppose you could power brake with A/H off and then once out of the hole push the button back on if you feel like you can drive with one hand for a second.
You can only engage, disengage AH from a roll in '01+ models.....I have a 2000 :

Man, that is some good pony's on the ground :thumbs
Many thanks my friend- it is a bit fun to drive

Last edited by Busa196; 10-12-2004 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:02 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default power brake

Originally Posted by Busa196
I tried to bump up the RPM's in my car for a good launch yesterday and was surprised to see that my car wouldn't let me do it- it would just retard itself. With the t/c and AH turned off, it was no prob, but I'd really like to keep the AH on to help me with the 500rwhp.

I swear I've powerbraked it before in Competitive Mode......No?

Any thoughts?

-Jason-
I have a 03 coupe, I can power brake in competative driving mode. But with Active Handling on it will bog the engine. Active handling off, and comp driving mode power braking is possible.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:31 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shurite44
I have a 03 coupe, I can power brake in competative driving mode. But with Active Handling on it will bog the engine. Active handling off, and comp driving mode power braking is possible.
Isnt Comp Mode Active Handling on and Traction Control off? I am confused by your last sentence.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:35 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WWK888
Isnt Comp Mode Active Handling on and Traction Control off? I am confused by your last sentence.
I do not feel like going to the garage to get my owners manual to get the wording. But if I push the button once, I can powerbrake, if I push the button and hold it for five seconds I can power brake. If I leave it alone in active handling on, no button pushes it will cut power to the engine if the wheels spin.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:40 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Default setting= AH on and Traction Control on
One push=AH off, Traction Control off
Hold button for 5 seconds= Comp Mode AH on, Traction Control off

Old 10-12-2004, 06:44 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WWK888
Default setting= AH on and Traction Control on
One push=AH off, Traction Control off
Hold button for 5 seconds= Comp Mode AH on, Traction Control off

And I was out getting my owners manual. "why I ahhta"
Old 10-12-2004, 06:56 PM
CarsRFun
Drifting

my cluth wolnt let me.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you powerbrake in "Competitive Mode?"

Old 10-12-2004, 07:09 PM
strokster
Instructor

I posted a similar question sometime back. My '01 coupe would not allow me to power brake with TC/AH on, off or in comp mode. Regardless of settings, if I stood on the brake to load the converter and then let off a little to let the wheels spin, it bogged down. I believe that it is the torque management working to prevent "abusive manuevers". Unlike TC and AH there is no control over Torque Management from what I have read.

The good news....if you don't press the brakes too hard and ease into the throttle to get the tires spinning, there is a point around 2200 rpm it seems that the car stops fighting. Then you'd better hang on and be ready to peddle and drive cuz the revs are going skyward, the tires are becoming molten masses of spent rubber, the smoke is threatening to obscure all visual aids within a quarter mile and the the rear end wants to lead. Wooohooo, I get excited just thinking about it.

P.S. I've learned to respect the AH so I use comp mode, especially at the track.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:14 PM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Got a question with no flame in mind. I love the AH feature GM incorporates in the vette. It gives an added sense of security to my inability to control the car when I mess up.

However, what's the big deal with AH at the track? Millions of cars drive down the 1/4 track and not one has AH except the vette. They never seem to have problems... what's the big deal?

Like I said, no flame, I just don't see the need for AH on a straight line 1/8 or 1/4 mile track. I could see if we were running on the salt flats in Michigan trying to obtain top speed or something.

Just wondering?

Mark
Old 10-12-2004, 08:23 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MyBlueC5
Got a question with no flame in mind. I love the AH feature GM incorporates in the vette. It gives an added sense of security to my inability to control the car when I mess up.

However, what's the big deal with AH at the track? Millions of cars drive down the 1/4 track and not one has AH except the vette. They never seem to have problems... what's the big deal?

Like I said, no flame, I just don't see the need for AH on a straight line 1/8 or 1/4 mile track. I could see if we were running on the salt flats in Michigan trying to obtain top speed or something.

Just wondering?

Mark
I run the qtr in competative driving mode. I spun sideways with AH and TC off once and thought things would go better in that situation with competative driving mode on. I really am not sure how much it helps but I have never went sideways again. But with AH & TC on you can really screw up your run if you spin, the engine power shuts down and you just lost. I do not think it is a good idea to drag race with AH & TC on. Not if you are trying to win anyway, if you just want to stay safe and get a qtr mile time it is OK.

Quick Reply: Can you powerbrake in "Competitive Mode?"