Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rusting, peeling rotor hats, can they be painted?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 06:49 PM
master blaster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rusting, peeling rotor hats, can they be painted?

rusting, peeling rotor hats, can they be painted?....center of rotors are in need of something. any ideas?
Old 10-31-2004, 08:08 PM
Larry_Yerton
Pro

This was a topic about a week ago some had them painted black and some silver. I thought the silver looked really nice. I'm thinking of doing mine that color.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:15 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely!

Check out my page on "Painted rotors". It was really about the calipers but I painted the rotors as well with high temp black paint. They turned out a dark gray and I think that's just fine.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=937910

Mine were rusted and crappy looking too. I used brake cleaner and denatured alcohol and a toothbrush to get them smooth again before the paint job.

Last edited by JACKAL0PE; 10-31-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:15 PM
Kudzu
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'08-'09

Yes they can. I helped a friend do his recently. We put the car on jack stands and took the rotors off the car. Then we used a scotchbrite pad from Home Depot paint dept to thoroughtly clean them. It does take some elbow grease and time to do a good job.I have seen some say they used 000 steel wool. We taped off the hats as carefully as possible. Right before painting we used alcohol to thoroughtly clean the area. Then we spray painted 2 coats of high temp black paint. Worked great. I have also heard that you can use a foam pad paint brush to apply the paint.
This does not address the slots or holes but we were not concerned with those from a cosmetic point of view.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:25 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by master blaster
rusting, peeling rotor hats, can they be painted?....center of rotors are in need of something. any ideas?
Yes, I did mine about 8 or 9 months ago. I used a small wire brush to scrape off the scale and rust then cleaned the surface thoroughly with a parts brush and 100% mineral spirits. After the mineral spirits had completely evaporated, I then brushed on a coat of the Rust-Oleum High Heat paint according to their directions on the can. Wal-Mart had the Rust-Oleum Bar-B-Q Black in 8-oz cans which would work fine straight from the can. Or, you can mix in a little of the Rust-Oleum White which only comes in spay cans. I sprayed the white into an empty glass jar and mixed 1 part of it to 9 parts of the black. I found this mix to be a very close match to the factory color on the rotor hats. I used a 1/2" brush being careful not to get any paint on the wheel studs or the surface where the wheel mounts. I also tried to be careful around the pad-mating surface of the rotors, but the pads will take care of any small miscues here. I allowed the paint to dry 24 hours before driving. I was very pleased with the way the job turned out and the way it has held up so far. Hope this helps.

Rust-Oleum High Heat Paint
Old 10-31-2004, 09:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Yes, they can be painted. Sand them down with some very fine sandpaper or some steel wool and then get some caliper paint and paint away. Should turn out nice.

Get notified of new replies

To rusting, peeling rotor hats, can they be painted?

Quick Reply: rusting, peeling rotor hats, can they be painted?