Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Just got my Z06 back from Chavy after a week!!!

Old 02-08-2001, 12:58 PM
koopdaddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the Z back. It has 2700 miles now. It had these problems: Center console had to be replaced due to it being unopenable. Parking brake was installed incorrectly, this resulted in an awful rattle in the rear of the car. The Column lock was replaced, due to failure and an inability to be jumped externaly, this was shown as (service column lock on the DIC). The BCM was replaced and reprogrammed due to (service active handling) warnings that appeared on DIC.Get this I am going home (after a week of service at chevy) and I hit the horn, it honks once and then is no longer working!!! I am VERY UNHAPPY with the quality of this vette. I really think that I might have a LEMON. Has anyone else had ANY of these problems???

Old 02-08-2001, 06:33 PM
Rapid
Instructor

None of those problems. Only issue with mine is a rocking driver seat. I can't imagine all those problems, I'd be more than unhappy.I doubt at this time if it qualifies as a lemon. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2001, 07:24 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Zero problems after 2 weeks...knock on fiberglass .

Old 02-08-2001, 07:25 PM
PJRACING57
Instructor

To Date: 02-08-01
Red 2001 Z06
Mileage: 12,248.
Problems:
Excessive Oil Consumption, Approx. 1qt every 500 Miles
Oil Pump failed
Left Rear Axle Seal leaking
Rocking Driver Seat
Clutch Petal Not Returning to Proper Position
Harmonic Balancer Broke
Harmonic Balancer Bolt Broke

Only God knows what is going to be next...
Old 02-08-2001, 07:46 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 740 Likes on 291 Posts

No problems since Sep 22.

Old 02-08-2001, 07:47 PM
koopdaddy
Instructor

PJRACING57, are you going to try to get GM to buy it back, you are having SERIOUS problems with yours. I am in the same boat, I wish that GM could build a car with a little better workmanship. They need to go to Japan and get some ideas from: Toyota, Nissan, or Honda. They seem to make indestructible cars, evidentally GM can't even make a car that is reliable for 2,000 miles.
Old 02-09-2001, 12:43 AM
PJRACING57
Instructor

If you have had the same problem occur two or more times, then you can use the lemon clause. As for my situation, there always seems to be a new problem and never the same problem twice, or more. Therefore I can't use the Lemon clause and am stuck with a piece of S@#t that spends 2 weeks in the shop for every week on the road.
Old 02-09-2001, 11:43 AM
cr133r
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Build quality starts on a piece of paper.... Unfortunately, GM hasn't quite figured this out yet, and probably never will.

If the car is designed with many simple failure points, no matter how good the people assembling it are, its gonna have failures. I've only owned the Supra for two months, but I have to say I'm impressed with the little things about the car. I took the dash out to do the stereo/gauges. In a hurry to put it back together, I skipped putting the screws in and just used the 'clips' to hold it together. It doesn't even have a hint of a rattle missing nearly every screw and its been like this for a month now.

Are japanese cars [built] 'better'? I'd like to think not, but it seems their design engineers are as much in touch with the little things as they are with innovation(the innovation of the hydoformed chassis on the Vette is second to none, but what good is it if you can't drive the car because they won't fix a known column lock defect?).

Old 02-09-2001, 01:10 PM
davidmax
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear KD
After speaking with you on the phone yeterday I realized you bought your car lightly used with 500 miles on it.IM FAIRLY SURE IF THE car has been previously titled to a first owner you may have as much recourse as the kid that buys the 3,000.0081 civic @ugly duckling.Check it out and let us know.
See you and our supra friends @ the Pavillions 6-8 weeks when I get mymonster back from Lingenfelter.I sure hope Dick over@ courtesy can make your baby better soon CALL THEM it can only help.
Y.TRULY DAVE
Old 02-11-2001, 01:47 AM
koopdaddy
Instructor

Well when I was racing my buddy in his 99 A4 vette, I had yet another problem with my Z06. Now the supposidely fixed (service active handling) light on the DIC is now coming on again. Just 25 miles since it was fixed. This car is something else!!!! I hope that it doesn't get more unreliable the older it gets!
Old 02-11-2001, 02:52 AM
98ISGR8
Instructor

To all.
The lemon laws apply also to the amount of time the car spends in the shop. I think in Fl it is something like a total of 30 days.
Old 02-11-2001, 08:37 AM
Z06Scott
Burning Brakes

Zero problems here after 3 months and 1,300 miles.

Old 02-11-2001, 12:45 PM
ArizonaZ06
Drifting

Received 579 Likes on 313 Posts

8400 miles without one problem.

My Z06 was pulled for QC. Didn't leave BG for 14 days after production. BG should do this to all Z06's.

Old 02-16-2001, 02:01 PM
Batman's
Advanced

Sorry to hear that.

And I thought the RX7 has problems.

I am jealous at the Supra and NSX friends.

They do some stupid mods and driving off the track and road and almost never visit the shops.

Old 02-16-2001, 09:11 PM
MiZ06
Intermediate

PJRACING57 and alcon,

Check with a lawyer in your state that specializes in "Lemon Law". It doesn't have to be the same problem more thatn three times. It can be several problems together will in affect bring the lemon law provision into play. However, you really need to consult a lawyer in your area to find out how to proceed in your state.

Many of these guys will give you an internet consultation if you email the details of problems you have had and what the dealer has done to fix or not fix/resolve the problems.

I found several by doing a search on Lemon Law from my browser and had responses within a couple of days. Although in my situation I didn't have a case. I felt as if I did get competent and consistent advise so it was worth my time to zip off a few e-mails.

Old 02-17-2001, 02:33 PM
shredder44
Intermediate

I just ordered a 2002 Z06. I am getting scared( In regards to the mechanical problems). Should I be???
Old 02-17-2001, 04:36 PM
Z06Scott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shredder44
I just ordered a 2002 Z06. I am getting scared( In regards to the mechanical problems). Should I be???[/color]
NO! Having problems with the Z06 seems to be the exception. Look at how many people posted that they owned Z06s (3pages worth) vs. how many people answer posts about what problems that they have. These seem to be isolated incidents. Most of the people who have problem free Z06s (which appears to be most of the Z06 owners on this forum) don't have any incentive to post. I love mine and seem to be with the majority on this one.

Get notified of new replies

To Just got my Z06 back from Chavy after a week!!!

Old 02-19-2001, 05:37 PM
NGTI
4th Gear

In September, my business partner and I bought 2 2001 Z06's. The one he drives is red and mine is quicksilver. After about a month, mine would not start because the DIC said "No oil pressure". I called the dealer-Ed Rinke Chevrolet- and had it towed in. After 8 days they finally figured out it was a bad oil pump. It took them 3 more days to put it in. So a month later I heard this tapping in the engine compartment and a somewhat massive amount of oil on my driveway. I took it to another dealer-Matthews Hargraeves Chevy- and they said whoever worked on it last did not tighten the Harmonic Balancer enough. They had to replace the seal. They said that should do it. WRONG. The next day I took it back for the same tapping but they said it was a "normal sound". Two days later I heard it again and pulled over to the side of the road and popped the hood. There was the bolt for the Harmonic Balancer tapping against the frame. I took it back to the dealer again and they said "Well look at that". Their fix was to put Lock-Tight on the bolt. 2 weeks later, more oil in the driveway. I took it back again and they replace the Harmonic Balancer, the seal, the bolt, all belts, etc. They apologized and sent me on my way. Last week while shifting lightly, the clutch stuck to floor. I could not shift in or out of gear. I took it back to the dealer, they kept it over night, and said it was propably just a fluke. They sent me on my not so merry way. Last Friday, it stuck to the floor again, oil in the driveway again, and the same tapping in the engine. They are currently trying to replace the Release Bearing in the clutch. I have no faith. By having 2 Z06's, one being a POS and the other rock solid, I know it is not a design problem. It seems that it is a manufacturing issue. I called GM Customer Support but they are "Unwilling to replace or repurchase my car". I am utterly disappointed in GM as a whole and will never buy another GM product again. In the meantime, to answer your questions about the Lemon Laws. My attorneys say that it has to be 3 times for the same problem but even then you have to notify them in writing letting them know they have one more chance to fix the problem, or it has to be in the shop for 30 days total in the first year for any combination of problems, or the safety of the vehicle has and continues to be in question. Needless to say my problems meet all of this criteria but GM simply says "So sue us". I am.
Old 02-23-2001, 04:37 AM
Zapper
Drifting

You guys do sound like you have a couple of lemons. I am on the second one, first one was just not with the right options, but aside from a small water leak through the roof/windshield car was fine. It would be a great learning experience for everyone on the forum to follow all of your efforts with the dealers and GM to see how they deal with your issues. Please keep us all posted because this is valuable information for all. I am truly sorry you have a yucky product - the sticking down to the floor clutch is just plain dangerous in my opinion. Find better dealers who love Corvettes and lets see if they get onside.

I hope you keep us all posted.

Old 02-23-2001, 09:43 PM
achiu
Heel & Toe

NGTI,

I got the same problem "No Oil Pressure" on startup. The car is sitting at the dealer now and they have informed me that they will have to pull the oil pan out to see what the problem is. They suspect it's the pressure releif valve or a bad oil pump. Hopefully this will be the last of my problems and the engine was not dammaged. I'll keep the list posted on the diagnosis when I get back from Australia in 3 weeks. Off to see the F1 race next weekend and not worry about the car...

Alex

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Just got my Z06 back from Chavy after a week!!!