Sponsored by:

Opinion on Neoprene seat covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 07:11 AM
vette99coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on Neoprene seat covers

I really don't want my black leather seats to start to show wear and tear or become stained.

I also don't want to spend a ton of money to cover them.

I've been ehecking out the neoprene seat covers that many of the vette catalogs sell for around $250. They appear to look very nice and fit well.

Is anyone using this type of seat cover on your vette? If so, give my your feelings/opinions
on how you like them.

Thanks

(we have a black interior trimmed with some red highlights (see my pic gallery).

Would solid black or black with red look better??
Old 11-12-2004, 07:26 AM
NJblackrose92
Instructor

I'm not a big seat cover person, but I think black with red might look nice on your vette - it would tie in with your armrest cover and the rest of the accents. I've seen the neoprene covers at shows, they seem to fit very well.

Old 11-12-2004, 07:35 AM
CROWVETTE
Racer

I have the Wet Okle covers which fit very well and IMO look pretty good for a seat cover. I have the black with grey piping. It takes some time to install because you don't have a lot of room under the power seats to fasten the seat straps. If they get dirty, put them in the wash and they look like new.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:38 AM
BT-01-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a set of Wet Okoles that I use mostly in the summer months. They are great covers but don't come cheap. Just make sure if you decide to cover the seats, you take them off from time to time to treat what very little leather that is actually on the seat and the vinyl and you'll do well. My seats have about 39k miles on them and they look new. The other factor is that I have a static cling sun reducer for my glass top to help keep some of the rays out of the inside. The only bad part about the covers is that your covering up the beautiful sport seats.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:40 AM
KMeloney
Drifting

Originally Posted by vette99coupe
Is anyone using this type of seat cover on your vette? If so, give my your feelings/opinions
on how you like them.
Well, I have Wet Okoles on my Jeep, but not on my Vette, and there's a good reason for that. Aside from the fact that I just don't think they "go" in the Vette (I think the neoprene was designed to handle rain and whatnot -- and it's not going to rain in my hardtop), the fact that you're adding something (with some thickness to it) over the seats really takes whatever "bucket" aspect there is to the stock seats out of them.

We all know that the stock C5 seats aren't great, support-wise. Adding covers makes the bolsters even less effective. I can get away with this in my Jeep (since I don't rely on the Jeep seats' bolsters to hold me in the seats, and since my seats DO get wet and muddy and take a lot of abuse), but not in my Vette.

Maybe you could consider buying some factory skins from someone who's having his seats redone...

Good luck!

-Kirk
Old 11-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Old 11-12-2004, 10:24 AM
georgec114
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KMeloney
Well, I have Wet Okoles on my Jeep, but not on my Vette, and there's a good reason for that. Aside from the fact that I just don't think they "go" in the Vette (I think the neoprene was designed to handle rain and whatnot -- and it's not going to rain in my hardtop), the fact that you're adding something (with some thickness to it) over the seats really takes whatever "bucket" aspect there is to the stock seats out of them.

We all know that the stock C5 seats aren't great, support-wise. Adding covers makes the bolsters even less effective. I can get away with this in my Jeep (since I don't rely on the Jeep seats' bolsters to hold me in the seats, and since my seats DO get wet and muddy and take a lot of abuse), but not in my Vette.

Maybe you could consider buying some factory skins from someone who's having his seats redone...

Good luck!

-Kirk

Take your $250 cover money and save it for a seat replacement if
needed. If you need something to cover in an emergency, throw a towel
under you butt. Black replacement skin sections are relatively cheap
and still look better than any cover I've seen.

...George
Old 11-12-2004, 10:27 AM
T's
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin

Old 11-12-2004, 10:30 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My car had some on it when I bought it and I took them off! Yes my seat shows wear and yes I'am going to have to redo the bolsters but that is just a fact of life!
Old 11-12-2004, 11:14 AM
vette99coupe
Burning Brakes

Good advice...thanks Kirk
Old 11-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Quick story..
I bought Oklies for my car.. I hated the boring black interior,..,. all my friends convinced me they looked cheap..
you can by similar neopprene seat covers at pepboys or jc whittney for 29 to 89 dollars... I payed 300 dollars for my wet okolies with shipping..
I thought I liked them but after a while I has to agrree they looked cheap with a cheap silk screened crossed flag logo,.,, from 20 feet away they looke good but close up they looked cheap.. I had a lot of negative comments from people..
I bought a complete new interior from MidAmerica seats, shift boot, ebrake boot,consol cover,active handling accent , and door grips... I could Not afford Ken Kings interior.. living on a fixed income... although Kens stuff is the best. I bought an interior that was superior in all aspects to the oem interior.,.. it cost me 1000 dollars and change.. I sold my old Black seat skins for 400 dollars...which made my new interior 600 dollars,.,, If I had saved the 300 I wasted on the Okolies I could have had a new interior for 300 dollars more..

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 11-12-2004 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,226 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I don't have seat covers on mine (except for some homemade ones), but I have seen several Vettes with the Wet Okoles on them. The covers looked great and fit very well. Talking to the owners revealed they really liked them.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Cessna172
Instructor

Have the Wet Okoles' also. Great fit, durable, and look good. Some colors match the C5 colors - the Millenium Yellow does not.

Drawback: They can be like trying to shove a nightcrawler up a wild cat's butt to install. Many have even resorted to removing the seat for installation. I was not one of those and my hands look like a surgeon's sampler for my efforts.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:42 PM
80&09vettes
Instructor

I bought and installed the Wet Okolies in my 04 coupe. I really like them but they do take away some of the available seat space. If you are a big person then they might not be right for you. I get a lot of compliments on the looks and I find them very comfortable, but I'm a skinny guy so works well for me. They also add a nice bit of extra cushioning which feels good. Good Luck
Old 11-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Monster231
Safety Car

Ive got the wet oaks too, they look nice, i dont miss the pleather at all
Old 11-12-2004, 02:35 PM
SilverMN6
Pro

[QUOTE=Evil-Twin]Quick story..

...I thought I liked them but after a while I has to agrree they looked cheap with a cheap silk screened crossed flag logo,.,, from 20 feet away they looke good but close up they looked cheap.. I had a lot of negative comments from people..

I agree with Evil. I think they look cheap. They have a cheesy ghetto look. Look around at ghetto or rice cars - you'll see many ticky tack accessories that people stick onto their cars.

Besides, why save the factory seats for the next owner? If you wear out your seat surfaces on the driver's side, you can replace that side for not too much more than the Okoles.

If I were to glamorize the interior, I would go Evil's route, but I happen to like the plain and understated black factory interior.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:01 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have no experience with the neoprene seat covers, but the reluctance I would have against them is what are they like to sit on after the sun has baked them in the sumer time? I'm pretty sure that neoprene does not breathe very well, and I would think your shirt and your pants - not to mention your underwear, would be sticking to you like stink on Sh*t!

My driver's seat is ripped slightly and the bolsters on both seats are pretty worn. I love my car, but the quality of the material that Chevrolet uses OEM is not the best.

My plan - a full Vette Essentials re-do in the spring......I can't wait!
Old 11-13-2004, 05:28 AM
Face
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of Wet Okolies for sport seats for sale if you're interested. They're black with red centers. They're really comfy, but I removed them b/c I didn't want the red/black theme anymore.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion on Neoprene seat covers

Quick Reply: Opinion on Neoprene seat covers