Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] What the hell am I going to do....$6k off an '01 or just buy the '02

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 06:42 PM
Silver TT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure is nice to buy a new car for $6k off MSRP, but having a car with 405 HP from the factory (better gearing and better suspension) with full factory power warranty is pretty damn appealing too.

Three reasons to go for the '02:

1. 405 factory warrantied HP is enough to tide me over. I will do headers and intake (adding about 35hp) while staying completely under warranty.

2. Everyone from now till '04 will say, "Oh you have a Z06...the 385 HP model or the 405 HP model." causing nothing but further detoriaration in the price of the '01. According to some people, the '03 will stay at 405, leaving the '01 to be an ugly duckling.

3. The '02 has slightly better gearing, better brakes, and slightly better suspension.

Then again...you can do 10x the mods for the $6k savings, but you lose factory warranty which is pretty important to me since I might want to trade up to the '04 C6.

Any opinions are appreciated. Looking to join the C5/Z06 crowd....

Thanks,

Dan

Old 07-19-2001, 06:54 PM
MooseSG
Instructor

I think you may be very disappointed if you are estimating 35 HP gain with the intake and headers. Good luck on your final purchase, sorry you think the '01 is an ugly duckling, prefer to think of her as a "gorgeous older sister"!

Old 07-19-2001, 06:58 PM
Silver TT
Racer

Originally Posted by MooseSG
I think you may be very disappointed if you are estimating 35 HP gain with the intake and headers. Good luck on your final purchase, sorry you think the '01 is an ugly duckling, prefer to think of her as a "gorgeous older sister"!

[/color]
MooseSG- I guess you might be right about the 35 HP gain from an intake and LT headers, but that is what the f-body guys get pretty regularly....maybe more like 25-30 HP.

As for the ugly duckling comment...I definitely didn't mean it in a negative way since I am considering an '01 my self...I just meant in terms of resale value. Have you ever heard of $6k off before on a normal model year change?
Old 07-19-2001, 07:10 PM
jerboa
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I just meant in terms of resale value. Have you ever heard of $6k off before on a normal model year change?[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm missing something. The model year for Corvette changed in June when the 2002 models started rolling off the assembly line. $6K seems like a lot, but the car has easily depreciated more than that. I say buy the '02, get the hp and goodies and drive the depreciation out of the car for a year.

jerboa

Old 07-19-2001, 07:34 PM
maxievette
Pro

Then again...you can do 10x the mods for the $6k savings, but you lose factory warranty which is pretty important to me since I might want to trade up to the '04 C6.

Any opinions are appreciated. Looking to join the C5/Z06 crowd....

Thanks,

Dan

[/B][/QUOTE]

I want get into the debate 01 vs. 02 bbut I do want to clear one thing up. These cars are brand new with full factory warr. The same as the 02.
Thanks,
Rick

Old 07-19-2001, 07:42 PM
Jhodel
Racer

$6k is a pretty good savings. It depends on how much you want the latest and greatest. There will always be faster cars coming out. Will you be disappointed a year from now when the new Vette, Viper, or something else is faster then an 02 Z06?

It's a game you can't win unless you trade your cars in all the time.

Jim

Old 07-19-2001, 07:53 PM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Ugly Duckling? I think not.

Old 07-19-2001, 08:05 PM
Z06Scott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silver TT

As for the ugly duckling comment...I definitely didn't mean it in a negative way since I am considering an '01 my self...I just meant in terms of resale value. Have you ever heard of $6k off before on a normal model year change?[/B][/color]
Old 07-19-2001, 08:06 PM
NickS
Advanced

In the end you can't go wrong either way. These are two of the finest cars ever built. Short term comparisons fade quickly to low level details. In the end it is up to your personal preference.

In my case I opted for an '02... temptations for more immediate access for less money weighed heavily upon my decision.

In the end, I don't think their will be significant depreciation bias for the '01 owing to the fact that it is a limited production car and one with some mighty compelling performance. This one is definately NOT your father's Oldsmobile as they like to say.

Good luck with whatever you decide... you are sure to be happy either way.

Nick
Old 07-19-2001, 10:32 PM
KellyZ06
Instructor

Maybe I have had my head in the sand----but I haven't heard about any better gearing for 02?
Old 07-19-2001, 11:49 PM
VelvetteC5
Racer

The 405HP ZR1 was supposed to be faster then the original 385HP ZR1's. A lot of people say the earlier cars actually are as fast or maybe faster.

For me this would be a no brainer. So what if there is a slight performance gap? A few bolt-ons (like intake, exhaust, Powerloader) will narrow that a bit. With the '01 you wouldn't have to wait, and you'd have the 5K to put towards a C6. The only reason I can think of to spend the extra cash is if you have your heart set on Electron Blue.

Old 07-20-2001, 12:58 AM
DLSCWBYVT
Drifting

It was an easy decision for me -
I wanted a White one!

Old 07-20-2001, 03:19 AM
Mako
Drifting

Decide what power level you are comfortable with and you will have your decision.

For me, the power in my '01 Z was great for stock, but just a "starter set." The '02 Z, with new cam, SAME GEARS, and other tinkerings,will have a bit more grunt (a very small bit), but not that much. If I was staying stock, I would problably get the '02 because I would want the most power and would not worry about the price difference.

However, if you are going to be adding more power, then I would not even think of getting the 2002! The cam will be the first to go anyway! Save the $6k and apply it to a stroker! If you are not going to be adding more power...WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!!!

Bolt-ons will add less power to the 2002 than they did to the 2001 (just like 2001 vs. 2000).

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Mako (edited 07-20-2001).]
Old 07-20-2001, 05:03 AM
Zapper
Drifting

I'm curious about the gearing. A long time ago there was something on the board about the gearing being too aggresive in first and second and a potential change for 02. What do you know about gearing - there is nothing in Hib Halverson's article about that unless he overlooked something. Can you enlighten us please ?

By the way its your call - if you have the money my suggestion is go with the '02 if you are willing to wait.

Old 07-20-2001, 11:52 AM
cyaford
Burning Brakes

Don't forget about the new rings and new clutch. Although the clutch problems are far less than the oil consumption problems, the problem does exist. Of course, only time will tell if the new ring set and clutch are any better than the old design. You could also put in a new clutch(a better one than the '02) with the savings and still have $$$ left over for mods. I think either way you'll be happy. I'm getting a '02 only because I would prefer to drive the depreciation outta the car myself, and I can't justify paying the small difference compared to dealers who are willing to deal on '02s.........
Old 07-20-2001, 01:54 PM
Jhodel
Racer

Good point about the clutch. My 01 clutch feels 'soft', which is about my only complaint on the car. A stouter clutch would definitely be an improvement.

According to one of the magazines (I forget whether it was C and D, R and T, or MT), GM started using the new rings on 01 Z06s in April.

I have no idea if that's true, but our late April 01 has 1600 miles and no oil consumption yet....

Jim
Old 07-20-2001, 06:22 PM
Joecooool
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jax Events Coordinator
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Well, for about $250 you can add a Blackwing and there's your 405 hp. All GM did to increase the hp was allow the engine to breath easier.

The 02 clutch will retrofit onto the 01.

The 02 rims are a DOWNGRADE from the 01.

I seriously doubt the hp question will come up in normal discussions about the Z06. Who keeps theirs stock anyway?

Get notified of new replies

To What the hell am I going to do....$6k off an '01 or just buy the '02

Old 07-21-2001, 12:02 AM
Silver TT
Racer

These are good points. I probably have to clarify one thing:

I do plan to MOD the car, but not very heavily so I would like to start with as much factory power as possible and the best possible suspension and braking ('02).

I only plan on doing intake/headers/rims on either the 01 or the 02. The thought of a superstroker makes me very psyched, but I want to wait a little longer and make sure those engines are as reliable as everyone seems to think they are.

Thanks for your opinions.

Old 07-21-2001, 01:46 AM
turbota
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I think I'd rather save the 6G's. I don't think you will feel much of a difference between the two. And as far as resale, you already saved 6K off sticker. So if you sell in a couple of years that will help your loss tremendoulsly.

Old 07-21-2001, 08:15 PM
Electron Pusher
Instructor

This is a real personal choice. I had to think long and hard before deciding. I finaly decided based on a combination of factors to go with the 2002. Good luck on your decision.

Quick Reply: [Z06] What the hell am I going to do....$6k off an '01 or just buy the '02