Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Just Dynoed My Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 08:22 PM
bwhitmore
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did three runs this morning at Ralph Gobel's Hot Rod Heaven in Sac.

I have only my B&B Triflow PRT's, RM Racing Twin Flow, and Xtreme X-pipe, but I still managed to pull a max 332.8 hp and 333.8 lb/ft torque at the rear wheels. Note, these numbers are SAE results, which are smaller than the Standard results because SAE accounts for temperature and barometric pressure, among other things, to make the results even more accurate regardless of where they are taken.

At first I was a little suprised at the low numbers but I was told that because of the half shafts that the Corvette uses, the loss of power from the flywheel to the rear wheels is something like 20%, slightly higher than an f-body for example. If this is the case, I should be getting 398.4 hp at the flywheel, a gain of some 14 or so hp from my exhaust and intake modifications. And that seems quite decent.

Ralph said he has dynoed stock Z06's in the past and that most have come in at around 320 hp at the rear wheels. If anyone could let me know what there experiences have been with a factory Z06 it would be greatly appreciated in SAE terms. This way I can tell whether or not my assumptions on my gains are correct.

I included some pics, and the graph from my best run for your viewing pleasure, enjoy:

Old 07-21-2001, 08:36 PM
JWY
Advanced

I'm getting my pretty much stock Z06 Dynoed in a week or two before I add about a 100 horses. I will post my results. Looks like you don't have a fan blowing any air in the front. That may have hurt your results somewhat. (The car would have appreciated it)

Old 07-21-2001, 09:37 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

354.1 RWHP & 352.4 RWTQ--SAE #'s on a HOT & humid day. It showed 361.9 RWHP using 'standard' measurement.
I have full length headers & Blackwing w/ cutout shroud. All else stock.
20% loss? I'd like to think so, but that's definitely optimistic. I'd figure my car is putting out 415 FWHP...

Old 07-21-2001, 10:49 PM
bwhitmore
Pro

JWY, you can't tell with the pics, but there actually was a fan in front of it, a big one, pumping lots of air, but still the air temp in the garage here in Sac this morning, as shown on my printout, was 79.8 degrees F. My Standard results where 342 rwhp.

GTB/ ZR1 your headers will help a lot and so will cutting your shroud. My shroud is not cut. It is one of those things I vowed never to do, as I have seen it done poorly in many instances and I would hate to cut on my car.

I would like to get some more feedback, but I tend to believe Ralph's idea when it comes to the power loss, he is well respected in the business of modding f-bodies and vettes in Northern California. I wouldn't go so far as to say 20% loss is optimistic, but rather that it negatively affects the corvettes numbers. I would much rather report higher rwhp numbers and claim lower power loss percentages if it were up to me. Whether or not I show 390 or 400 hp at the flywheel is negligent to the fact that I am still only putting down 332.8 hp SAE at the rear wheels.

Old 07-21-2001, 11:03 PM
PbPedis
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Love those wheels. That is one beautiful Z06!

Old 07-22-2001, 12:14 AM
don527
Drifting

Bone stock @ approx. 2000 miles, I dynoed at (corrected):

332.2hp @ 5800 RPM and
336.4ft lbs @ 4550 RPM

Yes, dynos will vary from place to place but, on this forum, I believe 330-340hp for a bone stock Z06 has been the range.

I have dyno sheets from FCalmes and FUBU... To give you an idea , they used the same dyno my car was on and they're dynoing at approx 355-360hp with intake and exhaust mods.

How many miles on your Z?

Your dyno guy saying drivetrain loss @ 20% is unfounded... 15% has been the standard on this forum and don't recall anyone ever posting 20%.

Originally Posted by bwhitmore
Did three runs this morning at Ralph Gobel's Hot Rod Heaven in Sac.

I have only my B&B Triflow PRT's, RM Racing Twin Flow, and Xtreme X-pipe, but I still managed to pull a max 332.8 hp and 333.8 lb/ft torque at the rear wheels. Note, these numbers are SAE results, which are smaller than the Standard results because SAE accounts for temperature and barometric pressure, among other things, to make the results even more accurate regardless of where they are taken.

At first I was a little suprised at the low numbers but I was told that because of the half shafts that the Corvette uses, the loss of power from the flywheel to the rear wheels is something like 20%, slightly higher than an f-body for example. If this is the case, I should be getting 398.4 hp at the flywheel, a gain of some 14 or so hp from my exhaust and intake modifications. And that seems quite decent.

Ralph said he has dynoed stock Z06's in the past and that most have come in at around 320 hp at the rear wheels. If anyone could let me know what there experiences have been with a factory Z06 it would be greatly appreciated in SAE terms. This way I can tell whether or not my assumptions on my gains are correct.

[/color]
Old 07-22-2001, 12:19 AM
beggar
Racer

Is Ralph the one who sold you the mods? If so he's apparently twisting his numbers a bit. I've seen many dyno numbers and 330-340 is typical for a bone stock Z06 for both torque and hp. Apparently the mods you have aren't doing anything to increase performance.
Old 07-22-2001, 12:34 AM
don527
Drifting

The mods he has, as far as intake and exhaust are quality and nothing new. FCalmes is using PRTs with a Vortex and FUBU was using a Corsa, I believe, with intake change.

Bwhitmore's intake and exhaust mods should roughly accounted for 15-20 of his total hp dynoed. He also has the X-pipe.

Don
QSZ06
Originally Posted by beggar
Is Ralph the one who sold you the mods? If so he's apparently twisting his numbers a bit. I've seen many dyno numbers and 330-340 is typical for a bone stock Z06 for both torque and hp. Apparently the mods you have aren't doing anything to increase performance.[/color]
Old 07-22-2001, 02:34 AM
JWY
Advanced

bwhitmore, I'll post mine next week, and ask MTI about that 20% loss, they have plenty of Z06 dyno on records

Old 07-22-2001, 11:28 AM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

Those numbers seam a bit low for a Z06 with an intake and exhaust. FWIW my '98 Trans Am with headers, a cut-out and Whisper intake made 330 RWHP corrected....

-Adam
Old 07-22-2001, 12:28 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Bill,

Mine was dynoed bone stock twice to two different Dynojets in two different sets of weather. Once very hot and humid at Carlisle 2000. The other on a cool fall 2000 day. Both times SAE conversions produced virtually the same numbers: 335rwhp and 334rwtq.

With a Halltech Tric and Cobra (same dynojet as fall 2000) the car produced 345 rwhp and 349 rwtq.

So your SAE numbers are within the normal range for a Z06.

Old 07-22-2001, 12:38 PM
don527
Drifting

Ranger,

Look at his list of mods... he has intake, exhaust and x-pipe. his dyno numbers are normal for stock but he is far from stock.

He should be in the 350 range.

Originally Posted by Ranger:
[B
Bill,

Mine was dynoed bone stock twice to two different Dynojets in two different sets of weather. Once very hot and humid at Carlisle 2000. The other on a cool fall 2000 day. Both times SAE conversions produced virtually the same numbers] 335rwhp and 334rwtq.

With a Halltech Tric and Cobra (same dynojet as fall 2000) the car produced 345 rwhp and 349 rwtq.

So your SAE numbers are within the normal range for a Z06.

[/B][/color]

Old 07-22-2001, 02:10 PM
MJM
Drifting

Was it a DYNOJET dyno, or something else?

Dynojet seems to the benchmark when it comes to accurate and reproducible results.

I drove my bone stock Z06 several hundred miles to the nearest Dynojet, got on it right away (no time to let engine cool) and got 330 RWHP SAE corrected.

Try a dynojet dyno (at a shop separate from where you buy your mods) and I'm sure you'll have better results.
Old 07-22-2001, 02:59 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

No slam here, but the numbers look a little low.

I saw a bone stock 01 Z pull 347 RWHP and 345 RWTQ on a 95 degree day. These were corrected. This was a DYNOjet.

BTW: Could the bigger rotors and 19"s be adding additional rolling mass? I'm sure someone here will be able to quote the physics equation.

Old 07-22-2001, 06:59 PM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

FWIW I lost 5 RWHP when I moved from 245/50 ZR 16s to 315/35 ZR17. I think the weight gain was approx ~10 pounds per corner.

-Adam
Old 07-22-2001, 07:40 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by don527
Ranger,

Look at his list of mods... he has intake, exhaust and x-pipe. his dyno numbers are normal for stock but he is far from stock.

He should be in the 350 range.

[/color]
You could be right. But unfortunately, we don't know what his car produced when it was bone stock.

I saw two Z06s (besides mine) dynoed in Oct 2000 and each produced SAE slightly less than 325 rwhp.

So assuming Bill started about there and his intake added 8-10 hp on a static dyno he'd be in the low-mid 330s. I don't believe his mods to the exhaust would produce much, if any, gain compared to the stock Ti exhaust. Might even have lost a few hp.

Always best to start with a dyno bone stock and then redyno with each successive mod. That way you know the real effect of each change.

Old 07-22-2001, 07:44 PM
Mover
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...I ran mine bone stock a few months ago with about 10,000 miles on it. It came in SAE 340.5 HP and 341.6 TQ. About 70 degrees out, but it was a corrected number.

Get notified of new replies

To Just Dynoed My Z06

Old 07-22-2001, 08:17 PM
don527
Drifting

Very true... Always good to dyno the car bone stock to get a baseline.

Don
QSZ06

Originally Posted by Ranger
You could be right. But unfortunately, we don't know what his car produced when it was bone stock.

I saw two Z06s (besides mine) dynoed in Oct 2000 and each produced SAE slightly less than 325 rwhp.

So assuming Bill started about there and his intake added 8-10 hp on a static dyno he'd be in the low-mid 330s. I don't believe his mods to the exhaust would produce much, if any, gain compared to the stock Ti exhaust. Might even have lost a few hp.

Always best to start with a dyno bone stock and then redyno with each successive mod. That way you know the real effect of each change.

[/color]
Old 07-22-2001, 09:09 PM
akw408
Burning Brakes

I think I might be able to settle this for everyone right now. I dynoed at HRH two weeks back and I had 325 RWHP/330 RWTQ. I was expecting over 340 RWHP with my mods. At first I thought it might have been the temperature at the time which I dynoed (103 F), SAE probably would have corrected for it though. SAE probably didn't correct for any retardation the MAT sensor and it's logic performed however. Anyway, I believe that Ralphs dyno is non-optimistic and is alittle lower than others. After reading this, I'm sure it's the dyno, not the car. Don't get too excited about dyno numbers as it can vary from dyno to dyno and from day to day. Ralph is a standup guy and knows his stuff, but he can't help it if his dyno is not optimistic. He does have the latest Dynojet, and from what I've heard, the earlier Dynojets are more optimistic.

99 C5 M6
Old 07-22-2001, 09:18 PM
don527
Drifting

akw408,

Your LS1 C5 WITH mods is generating numbers close to bwhitmore's LS6 WITH mods... so depending on your mods, are you saying your making as much hp with your mods as a Z06 with an intake, exhaust and x-pipe mod on the same dyno?

I like to know what mods you have cause that's quite impressive.

I've seen a LS1 C5 coupe with BPP intake and an exhaust push in the 330+ range which is very close to LS6 stock numbers and not that uncommon to see people post similar numbers with their LS1s.

But we are talking about an LS6 with intake, exhaust and xpipe. If your pushing 330+ with an LS1 and mods (depending on the mods), he should be pushing 350+

Don
QSZ06

Originally Posted by akw408

I think I might be able to settle this for everyone right now. I dynoed at HRH two weeks back and I had 325 RWHP/330 RWTQ. I was expecting over 340 RWHP with my mods. At first I thought it might have been the temperature at the time which I dynoed (103 F), SAE probably would have corrected for it though. SAE probably didn't correct for any retardation the MAT sensor and it's logic performed however. Anyway, I believe that Ralphs dyno is non-optimistic and is alittle lower than others. After reading this, I'm sure it's the dyno, not the car. Don't get too excited about dyno numbers as it can vary from dyno to dyno and from day to day. Ralph is a standup guy and knows his stuff, but he can't help it if his dyno is not optimistic. He does have the latest Dynojet, and from what I've heard, the earlier Dynojets are more optimistic.

99 C5 M6
[/color]

[This message has been edited by don527 (edited 07-22-2001).]

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just Dynoed My Z06