Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Please weigh in: Who's using harnesses with their Z06 seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 01:39 AM
KMeloney
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Just wanted to revisit the topic of harnesses and harnessbars as it applies to the non-slotted Z06 seats.

Who out there is using harnesses with the stock seats with no problems? Who's using them with SOME problems? Are the belts rubbing the seat sides raw? Is the positioning of the straps ok, even though the belts come around the sides of the seats? Are the belts COMFORTABLE with this set up?

I think we all know that the Z06 seats probably should have come with harness slots in 'em, but since they didn't, we have to make do (or not bother) with a less-than-ideal seat/harness situation.

I'm still thinking about the Brey-Kraus bar and harnesses, but keep getting discouraged with the whole Z06 seat deal...

Please post your experiences! Thanks!

-Kirk
Old 07-22-2001, 01:58 AM
OldZR-1Guy
Racer

Well....sorry I don't have a ZO6, but I'm hoping to in the next several months. Anyway, ZO6 or not, you need slots in your seats so that the harnesses go over your shoulders in the proper spot. Otherwise, it will never feel right and you will not be held in securely. As far as using a sub belt without a slot in the seat cushion, don't even bother. It defeats the whole purpose of the sub belt. I finally got the seats in my ZR-1 modified to accept the harness and it made a huge difference.
Old 07-22-2001, 10:56 PM
KMeloney
Drifting

Dang, that's IT?! One reply after 50+ looks?! Hmm...

Thanks OldZr-1Guy! Now, I had heard some things contrary to what you wrote here -- although *I* still have the same concerns that you voiced. I was hoping to hear something other than what you wrote, though I'm wondering if I will (and so I'm wondering if I'll ever go with the harnes bar).

Thanks again! Anyone else?!

-Kirk
Old 07-23-2001, 12:29 AM
Mako
Drifting

Kirk: Didn't you post and receive replies earlier? This is an OLD topic that has been addressed. You just choose to ignore the replies. If the thread was not yours, sorry, but check the archives.

I track on road courses two weekends per month--lately anyway. I have a Z06 with a BK bar and Sparco 6-point. This setup is awesome,comfortable, functional, etc. The bar has slots to avoid strap slide.

If you are worried about the seats, put a cover on them. I have yet to find a cover I like so I use a T-shirt for each seat (I did it for dust, but it would help chafing, but I have not noticed any chafing).

This is a no-brainer setup as even if you decide it is not perfect, or decide to run in a full race group, then you will change the seat anyway. You can still use the bar and 6-point belt with a slotted racing seat. However, for full race participation you may need to lose the bar and switch to a cage or at least a full roll bar--both of which will change your car on the inside.

There really are no questions about this. It works--period. I am sure the other bars will work also. If you are severly concerned, just buy slotted seats and a harness bar or a roll bar.

Good luck and take it to the track!
Old 07-23-2001, 11:27 AM
KMeloney
Drifting

Mako -- Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did post about this before, hence me "revisiting" the topic -- but I don't remember seeing a response like the one OldZR-1Guy gavc (that it WON'T work). Sometimes you get different posts the second time around.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear (again) that you ARE using the setup with plenty of success. I'm hoping to hear more responses like yours. I'm also hoping to see that more people have added the bar and harnesses with the same success since the topic was last posted.

-Kirk

[This message has been edited by KMeloney (edited 07-23-2001).]
Old 07-23-2001, 03:37 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I have the Hardbar harness bar and the B&K lapbelt mounts. The setup works very well.

There is a small amount of scuffing on the seat sides from the shoulder harnesses. A minor issue that could be resolved by putting something between the seat and the belts like a piece of cloth.

This setup will hold you in your seat. However, it is still nothing like using a true race seat. No street setup is. If you need more you are ready for a race seat and roll cage.

Old 07-23-2001, 06:28 PM
JerryL
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I had a Brey~Krause harness bar and seat hardware with a Simpson 6 point in my 01 Z06. I'll have the same set-up in my new one. No significant problems.

Electron blue Z06 on order 07/30 TPW - NCM delivery. TPIS long tube headers, B&M Ripper and CAGS defeat will be installed by Total Engine Air Flow in Bowling Green immediately after delivery.
Old 07-23-2001, 06:51 PM
Pewter C5
Racer

I too was wondering myself why they didn't put the harness slot in the Z06 seats. It seems like an oversight from the Z06 engineers . The sport seats in the coupe and convertable almost seem more fitting for the Z06
Old 07-23-2001, 07:36 PM
OldZR-1Guy
Racer

By the way, I'm not sure how to post pictures here but I have a couple shots of my modded seats here:
http://pages.zdnet.com/sarthurd/steveszr1/id4.html
There's probably a shop in your area that could do it for your car if wrapping the belts around doesn't prove comfortable.
Old 07-24-2001, 12:17 AM
KMeloney
Drifting

Wow, nice job on those seats, O'Z'Guy! They did a fine job!

Did I read (here) that the "innards" of the Z seats are the same as the Sport seats, and that the open area (like on the Sport seats) actually exists underneath of the leather & padding? If that's true, then I suppose these seats COULD be modded like O'Z'Guys'...

-Kirk

Old 07-24-2001, 05:54 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

I replied to your last posting also. I have used the BK setup with a 6 point Simpson set up since last September. So far I have had minimal chaffing on the sides where the straps come in contact with the seat. As to the effectiveness of the BK harness bar, I can comment on that also. After an off road excursion into the tires at a high speed event, I can tell you the system works. Rear bumper cover and rear quarter had to be replaced but the BK system held me firmly in place and I had NO aches or pains (other than cussing the shifter).

On the issue of the seats, I had an opportunity to talk to an engineer on the Z06 project and he told me they made them as light and cheap as possible. They thought the average owner would go to an aftermarket--Hence the sport seat was not offered or considered. Unfortunately, GM failed to notice no one was advertising a seat/frame rail combination for C5's in the aftermarket.

You mentioned you heard the Z06 seats were made from the sport seat, has anyone else heard that?
Old 07-24-2001, 07:38 PM
Mako
Drifting

When you are at the track, put a T-shirt over each seat for dust and any "chafing." I have no chafing issues.

As I mentioned, this mod is a no-brainer. If you get it and want more, you just add a racing seat! With a racing seat you still need a 6-point and a harness bar, roll bar or roll cage. I still do not see where the "decision" is unless you are choosing among the harness bars (all good quality I am sure and all of the makers are great guys).

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2001, 01:08 AM
KMeloney
Drifting

Gordy M -- i don't know if I said that the seats were made "from" the sport seats, but I remember someone saying that the innards are the same (or SOME of it is the same). So, this morning I ran my hand along the back of the Z seat, and lo and behold, the metal framing/backing plate stops where the opening on the sport seat is. I imagine you could poke a stick right through to the back of the seat at that place. It's a shame that GM just didn't treat that portion of the seat like a sport seat.

Mako -- I can see where you feel this is a no brainer, though I never intended to get your dander up about it. With all due respect, I already know that I could keep throwing money at the situation, and get racing seats, etc. However, I'm not wanting to do that. And, since I've never raced the car, and frankly don't know when I will, I didn't want to shell out the initial coin on a set-up that I didn't think was comfortable enough to use just whenever I want to do some aggressive driving (which is often). Hell, I looked into what it would take to put sport seats in the Z, too. I found out that all it takes is a hell of a lot of money.

So, whereas the bar and harnesses could be made even better with better seats, I'm was just trying to get at the heart of how they'd be with sub-par seats.

I'd rather spend the money on headers if I thought I'd have an ineffective harness set-up.

-Kirk
Old 07-25-2001, 03:05 AM
Mako
Drifting

Kirk: No dander problem here. Good luck with your decisions.
Old 07-25-2001, 10:22 AM
KMeloney
Drifting

LOL Mako! I know that! I wish I would get off my own skitty **** and get this damn bar and be done with it -- so I need (and deserve) all the prodding I can get!

Thanks for your help along the way!

-Kirk

Get notified of new replies

To Please weigh in: Who's using harnesses with their Z06 seats?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Please weigh in: Who's using harnesses with their Z06 seats?