Sponsored by:

Tight Garage space (with kids)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 10:16 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tight Garage space (with kids)

OK guys, need help.. We just moved into a new house this year and its my first time that my vert needs to share space with another car. (we went from a 1 car to 2 car garage) there is a good amount of space in between the cars but only a couple feet between the driver side door and the wall. I have 2 small kids that still think opening the car door means fling it open as hard as you can so it opens all the way and I want to protect the door for constantly hitting the drywall. Have any of you guys seen a product that attaches to the wall to buffer the hitting? (cause its gonna happen) Right now im thinking of going to home depot, seeing if they have big rubber tubes that I can cut down the middle length wise and just bolt to the wall..but thought I'd ask here first..

EDIT....oh, and pics would be awesome if you have them

Last edited by GettReal; 12-17-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:20 AM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

How about something like this?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....3010&SKU=92327
Old 12-17-2004, 10:22 AM
USA-VET
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
you could make your own
Old 12-17-2004, 10:23 AM
judge09
Instructor

Ah life in a two car garage. Here is the only way to prevent door dings with kids. Make them get out before you pull into the garage. If you garage is big enough build a little barrier wall. or try the above mentioned product.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:23 AM
ROADAPPLE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good thick car cover for the car while it sits inside the garage protects against the occasional bump from bicycles and such.
A 1x4 or 6 covered with carpet screwed to the wall protects the car door edge.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:26 AM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

I have this same problem and have the wall bumpers to help protect the door when I get out but...

door is still getting rubbed on edge if I don't pull in the same spot every time and I actually have a spot about 1/2" long that needs to be touched up on the edge of my drivers door. Can anybody recommend a product to protect the door edge such as an edge guard or a 3M type material that can be placed on door edges?

Old 12-17-2004, 10:40 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TOOGECKO
I have this same problem and have the wall bumpers to help protect the door when I get out but...

door is still getting rubbed on edge if I don't pull in the same spot every time and I actually have a spot about 1/2" long that needs to be touched up on the edge of my drivers door. Can anybody recommend a product to protect the door edge such as an edge guard or a 3M type material that can be placed on door edges?

I actually put on some door edging on my 2000 (I know, it was before I knew about the forum...) and found that the main problem is the Vette door is thicker than a steel door, thus most of the edging you get at Pep Boys or the like won't fit. I found some truck edging that fit, but was so thick it scrapped the door jamb when closing the door. What a disaster. Bottom line, don't use door edging designed for normal cars.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:40 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by judge09
Ah life in a two car garage. Here is the only way to prevent door dings with kids. Make them get out before you pull into the garage. If you garage is big enough build a little barrier wall. or try the above mentioned product.

In the old days, I used to have to get out to open the garage door. Yes, young people, there was a day when there were no garage door openers and the youngest of the family (me) was made to get out and open them up! Anybody remember those days?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:44 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Racer

In the old days, I used to have to get out to open the garage door. Yes, young people, there was a day when there were no garage door openers and the youngest of the family (me) was made to get out and open them up! Anybody remember those days?
Remember! I think my mother finally broke down and had an opener installed last year! Got tired of getting out in the snow, she said... (Chicago)
Old 12-17-2004, 10:44 AM
T's
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by judge09

good luck
Old 12-17-2004, 11:13 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I don't let any passenger enter the car while its in the garage, they have to do it in the driveway!
Old 12-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Vector
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

So how much $ can you get for the kids?
Problem solved.

Well maybe the wall bumper is a better idea.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:26 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by USA-VET
you could make your own

Get the foam that wraps around bars and pipe. You always see it at Toys'R'Us kid are always beating each other with the stuff
Old 12-17-2004, 12:48 PM
1Patriot
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Visit a boat store, they sell a rubberised trim strip for boat docks. Mount a strip on your wall at the appropriate height and you ar fixed for life.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:55 PM
cop.magnet.red
Pro

I just make people wait until I pull it out of the garage before they can get in! I have on occasion kept on driving and left them standing in the garage looking stunned, but when you're ready to go, you're ready to go!!

Works the same way on return, get out of the car in the driveway.

Besides, I need to back in between the bike, scooter and plastic toy box.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:30 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Ummm... trade the kids for a blower??? Problem solved...
Old 12-17-2004, 01:38 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by GettReal
OK guys, need help.. We just moved into a new house this year and its my first time that my vert needs to share space with another car. (we went from a 1 car to 2 car garage) there is a good amount of space in between the cars but only a couple feet between the driver side door and the wall. I have 2 small kids that still think opening the car door means fling it open as hard as you can so it opens all the way and I want to protect the door for constantly hitting the drywall. Have any of you guys seen a product that attaches to the wall to buffer the hitting? (cause its gonna happen) Right now im thinking of going to home depot, seeing if they have big rubber tubes that I can cut down the middle length wise and just bolt to the wall..but thought I'd ask here first..

EDIT....oh, and pics would be awesome if you have them
Do what I did...I put the other 2 cars out in the driveway and the Vette in the garage. Then I had a pow-wow with the wife and kids in the garage and showed them the imaginary line around the Vette. If they step within the imaginary circle around the car...well lets just say they don't...

Peace
Willfulone

Get notified of new replies

To Tight Garage space (with kids)

Old 12-17-2004, 01:50 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

I would let everyone get in and out of the car(s) in the driveway....no doors opening in the garage. Also..keep your vette covered and protected...or the other car will have to live outside ..........can't take a chance having any damage done to your ride!!
Old 12-17-2004, 02:05 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
Originally Posted by USA-VET
you could make your own
Yep, that's what I did. I bought a piece of 1/2 pvc pipe and a piece of the round (sponge-like) foam water pipe insulation to fit around the pvc. (You can find these at most any hardware store or home center - Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) I cut the pvc pipe and round foam insulation into 30" lengths, put the pvc pipe inside the round foam insulation and then ran a heavy piece of cord through the pvc pipe. I have one piece hanging on the garage wall to protect the door edge from dings. I have another piece hanging from the garage ceiling to protect the other side of the car from door dings from other cars parked in the garage. I think the cost for each piece was less than $2. Sorry I don't have pics handy.

Last edited by GrayC5; 12-17-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:13 PM
FirmCamaro
Intermediate

We have 3 cars in a 2 car garage(48 MGTC, 58 MGA, 95 Caddy) The Caddy is in and out all the time so we put it on one side, and built a styrofoam wall between it and the MGTC. Then put more styrofoam along the wall. Obviously everyone,except the driver, is out before the car goes in.

Quick Reply: Tight Garage space (with kids)