Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Any rust yet on Bendix rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Any rust yet on Bendix rotors

I have received a set of the rotors and pads from Wholesale Direct Parts that is on sale in this forum. Has anyone experienced rust on the rotors?
Old 04-02-2006, 04:09 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 438 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

yep , mine did . first rain yesterday since install . rusted the pad area only .
Look really good , but I was wondering about the rust
Old 04-02-2006, 05:27 PM
THE BLACK WIDOW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen any rust or anything at all yet. I've had mine on for about a month and a half now and i've washed it several times but I don't daily drive it so it hasn't seen rain yet. They still look just like brand new. Very happy so far with them.
James
Old 04-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Any rotor will rust unless it has been plated or zinc coated. The brake pads will wear that coating off, so it will always get some surface rust in the contact area. It is cast iron , and cast iron rusts when it's exposed to moisture. As soon as you drive it, the pads will clean the rust off. If they didn't have some type of coating applied to the entire rotor it will eventually be rusted over its entire surface. not just the pad area.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:01 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Might wanna try reading the thread... They are zinc coated. People are wanting to know whether the zinc coating is really working well
Old 04-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg_E
Any rotor will rust unless it has been plated or zinc coated. The brake pads will wear that coating off, so it will always get some surface rust in the contact area. It is cast iron , and cast iron rusts when it's exposed to moisture. As soon as you drive it, the pads will clean the rust off. If they didn't have some type of coating applied to the entire rotor it will eventually be rusted over its entire surface. not just the pad area.
Thats why the C6 Z51 look like *** crack if not coated.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Might wanna try reading the thread... They are zinc coated. People are wanting to know whether the zinc coating is really working well
And where in this this thread did it say the the bendix rotors were zinc coated.? Even if they are, any rotor is still going to rust when the pad wears the coating off. If you don't have anything constructive to say why don't you just .............. Your such a smart guy, I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Rust where the pad contacts the rotor is expected. What about the other areas where the pad doesn't come in contact with the rotor, especially in the area I marked in red in the photo ...

Old 04-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Jim, I am not familiar with the Bendix rotors. If they advertised them as zinc washed or plated, then they should not rust in that area. If not, they will rust in that area. I have the AC Delco rotors which were not coated , so I had them plated to prevent rust in the nonwear areas. It cost me $80 but if it works, it will be worth it. Some people use high heat paint in the center to prevent rust. I don't know how well it holds up, as I've never tried it.

Last edited by Greg_E; 04-02-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:38 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I wasn't trying to be an a-hole. Everybody knows the pads will rust on the contact area because any coating will come off, nobody is arguing that. He simply wanted to know if the zinc coating prevented rust on the other areas, as advertised.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Today's problem is..
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I have had mine on for a month, driven in the rain about 2 times and washed the car at least 10 times and I havent seen any rust yet. My car is kept in the garage though when not driven, so I havent seen any pad area rust either yet.

--Chris
Old 04-03-2006, 12:16 AM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

there are some people that report not getting rust at all on the pad surface area and how they do that, I just dont know. They say even after rain/wash no rust. I could care less if the pad area rusts or not. It comes off when I pull into the garage after I finishing washing. But yes, the general questions usually are, does the zinc plating hold up in the non-contact areas? Yes it sucks that the pad areas rust after a rain/wash, but its a lot more noticable when we have the wide areas between spokes on our wheels and dont have hub caps to cover the rotors. no offense to anyone, or you guys who report no rust even on pad areas. it just that i dont know how you guys do it. You must live in drier climates, or something. who knows

Last edited by DPG; 04-03-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:58 AM
CVETTE98
Instructor

Has anyone ever heard of Stainless Steel Rotors?
Don't know if there is such a thing and if they would even work? Would be nice if they did though!
Old 04-03-2006, 01:03 AM
THE BLACK WIDOW
Pro

Maybe it's just this hot, humid Texas air!!
Old 04-03-2006, 11:50 PM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Greg_E

mine are zinc coated. they always will get surface rust if wet. almost immediately. you can almost see it happen before your eyes. then you drive it and first touch of the brakes. walla gone. the hats stay nice and pretty though.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:55 PM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jim Shearer
Rust where the pad contacts the rotor is expected. What about the other areas where the pad doesn't come in contact with the rotor, especially in the area I marked in red in the photo ...

on zinc coated or painted. NOPE. not on the hats. you my get some discoloration from pad dust. but it washes off if you want. i have a daily driver in OREGON (you know the place that is gonna wash away if it dont stop raining soon) and have nothing but some pad dust mixed with some road grime there. comes off easy with soap and water. of course than the striking area gets a little surface rust from the wash
Old 04-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

rgtkst,

Do you haved the Bendix rotors that are offered my Wholesale Parts?
Old 04-05-2006, 02:15 AM
OM1NOUS
Intermediate

I have them on my car and they are fine on the hats and where indicated in red. I have had them on since the 25th of march and have driven the car in terrible bay area rain and they still look great! But yes as soon as i park the car the rust on the rotor where the pads meet is bad... until i start driving that is.
hope this helps.
ethan
Old 04-06-2006, 06:09 PM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jim Shearer
rgtkst,

Do you haved the Bendix rotors that are offered my Wholesale Parts?
i dont know for sure where the rotors came from.( maker ) they were put on a month before i got the car. they are slotted/drilled zinc coated. look good!!! and like i have said before. i think any that are zinc coated or painted PROPERLY will be fine for the rust issue. i think being a bendix pruduct they would be coated properly. most all the stuff my car has was purchased thru the dlr parts performance catolog. it was a pkg deal
4 rotors/calipers. my front rotors are larger than the ones stk. the back look bigger but i dont think they are. the front however are and definateley look bigger.

Get notified of new replies

To Any rust yet on Bendix rotors

Quick Reply: Any rust yet on Bendix rotors