Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Predator for sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:23 PM
paolo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator for sale

I am selling a like-new Diablo Predator, since I just went with HP Tuners.

The Predator is locked, it can be unlocked by the factory. I am asking $100.00 -a new unit goes for ~ $350. PM me if interested.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:27 PM
zx-12r
Racer

pm sent
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 PM
bucknutt76
Pro

pm sent
Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 PM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

Bump for a nice product and a good price! I have the Predator Tune on my 2000 Coupe MN6 really works well.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:31 AM
mellowyellow01vert
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not so Fast

Originally Posted by paolo
I am selling a like-new Diablo Predator, since I just went with HP Tuners.

The Predator is locked, it can be unlocked by the factory. I am asking $100.00 -a new unit goes for ~ $350. PM me if interested.
I recently bought a Hypertech that I thought I could have re-programmed, not so. Unless you are the original purchaser, and this is the same for Hypertech and Predator, They will not accept your resale unit for reprogramming. If it is locked to a vin#, walk away. I got burned on the same scam, for the same amount.

Someone block this thread.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:47 AM
ljthe2nd
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mellowyellow01vert
I recently bought a Hypertech that I thought I could have re-programmed, not so. Unless you are the original purchaser, and this is the same for Hypertech and Predator, They will not accept your resale unit for reprogramming. If it is locked to a vin#, walk away. I got burned on the same scam, for the same amount.

Someone block this thread.
This is not necesarilary true. From the Diablosport.com website, from the forum, member 06MonteSS wrote when a question was ask about unlocking a preditor, here is his answer: "it depends on the model predator... some will unlock when the original backup is restored to the vehicle and can immediately be used on another vehicle...

some, you have to restore the original backup, but then it can only be unlocked by diablosport when you send it in to them - and it also depends on the revision number - because some with certain revision numbers, can not be unlocked at all."

here's some other info I've gathered from the forum: a question was ask about sending a locked Preditor back to the factory to be unlocked and this is the answer from moderator mikel "He needs to put the stock tune back in his car, submit an RMA request, send the tool in with a copy of his receipt, and then it will be unlocked and sent back.Then you can use it."
then a follow up answer from a forum member named 06MonteSS: "if he IS able to restore the tune back to that car, but doesn't have the receipt to show proof of purchase of the predator, it'll cost him/you $99 when it's sent in to get unlocked..."

If it can't be unlocked it can only be sent back to the factory for a $99.00 credit towards a new one.

I would be leery about buying a locked Preditor, it is not impossible to get it unlocked but if it is one of the models that can be unlocked it is a Pain to do it.

Last edited by ljthe2nd; 02-29-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:11 AM
travelingypsye
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this unit is locked, it cannot be unlocked unless it returns the factory tune to the car it has been used on. I have a preditor, and had a dyno tune done. After the dyno tune, I gained 30+ hp & 40+ torque from what Diablo called a custom tune for my car. I spent $300 for the preditor, another $100 for the "custom tune" from diablo & after the #'s on the dyno, I now have a preditor that I can use for a door stop. Don't waste your $$. Get a good dyno tune & walk away from the handheld.

BTW......anyone need a preditor doorstop?

Paolo, if you have a HP tuner, simply return the car to factory on the preditor & it is good to go. Then use the HP tuner.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Twospeed
Racer

[QUOTE=travelingypsye;1564326206]If this unit is locked, it cannot be unlocked unless it returns the factory tune to the car it has been used on. I have a preditor, and had a dyno tune done. After the dyno tune, I gained 30+ hp & 40+ torque from what Diablo called a custom tune for my car. I spent $300 for the preditor, another $100 for the "custom tune" from diablo & after the #'s on the dyno, I now have a preditor that I can use for a door stop. Don't waste your $$. Get a good dyno tune & walk away from the handheld.

This is funny, I used the same term and got cursed out on this forum. calling the preditor a door stop. Which I still believe it is
Old 02-29-2008, 03:56 PM
travelingypsye
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Twospeed;1564329114]
Originally Posted by travelingypsye
If this unit is locked, it cannot be unlocked unless it returns the factory tune to the car it has been used on. I have a preditor, and had a dyno tune done. After the dyno tune, I gained 30+ hp & 40+ torque from what Diablo called a custom tune for my car. I spent $300 for the preditor, another $100 for the "custom tune" from diablo & after the #'s on the dyno, I now have a preditor that I can use for a door stop. Don't waste your $$. Get a good dyno tune & walk away from the handheld.

This is funny, I used the same term and got cursed out on this forum. calling the preditor a door stop. Which I still believe it is
Well mine is now. I had the dyno tune done & I can't begin to tell you how much better the car runs. I wasn't going to anything but a dyno run to see how the preditor tune held up to stock cars. After the embarrasment of the #'s I had, (less than 300RWHP) I had the do a dyno tune right there & then. Well now I have a great tune but the preditor is no good & I can't even bring the car back to stock to unlock the preditor or I loose the dyno tune......so.......door stop, boat anchor or .........
Old 02-29-2008, 04:49 PM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=travelingypsye;1564332603]
Originally Posted by Twospeed

Well mine is now. I had the dyno tune done & I can't begin to tell you how much better the car runs. I wasn't going to anything but a dyno run to see how the preditor tune held up to stock cars. After the embarrasment of the #'s I had, (less than 300RWHP) I had the do a dyno tune right there & then. Well now I have a great tune but the preditor is no good & I can't even bring the car back to stock to unlock the preditor or I loose the dyno tune......so.......door stop, boat anchor or .........
Mine seems to work well. Mods are a Z06 full exhaust system, ported throttle body, VRB2. Do you think I would see big gains with a dyno tune? I have a 2000 Coupe MN6
Old 02-29-2008, 11:34 PM
travelingypsye
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=HT1663WB;1564333446]

Mine seems to work well. Mods are a Z06 full exhaust system, ported throttle body, VRB2. Do you think I would see big gains with a dyno tune? I have a 2000 Coupe MN6
Well, the hand held doesn't know just what the exhaust is, nor about the ported throttle body. Those mods add instant responses when applied but the engine still creates a certain fuel/air ratio which in most cases, is too lean for great exeleration. The fuel mileage is there but a 12-1 air/fuel ratio thru the rpm zone 2800-5900 is pretty close to optimal. Hand helds just can't "fine tune" like a good dyno tune. I gained 30+ hp with a dyno tune after tweeking thru 5 runs. the best $300 I will ever spend. Think about it, $800 cat backs may add 15 -20 hp, LS-6 intake or FAST intake may add 10-15 hp @ $250+ & $600+ respectively. $300 for 30 hp is cheap.
BTW, I have a 99 with corsa pace cars, twin cone intake & an auto & after the dyno tune, the #'s are: 336.0 hp @ 5300 RPM & 361.3 RWtq @3800 rpm. I am pleased.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:55 PM
C5Pat
Racer

I found a Hypertech on this Forum (Parts For Sale) He bought it off fleabay and never used it, got a Dyno tune instead, and claims VIN unlocked ready to go..........Walk away or What???
Old 03-22-2008, 07:39 PM
travelingypsye
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5Pat
I found a Hypertech on this Forum (Parts For Sale) He bought it off fleabay and never used it, got a Dyno tune instead, and claims VIN unlocked ready to go..........Walk away or What???
I suggest walk away. Find a good dyno tuner & get a custom tune for your car with your mods in your area with your altitude, your gas type (gas is different in different regions) & you will be much happier. Any dyno tuner can do what a handheld can but tweek it, adjust air/fuel mix thru the WHOLE rpm band & you will see a HUGE difference from any factory tune. Good luck. Oh before all you guys with hand helds start bashing what I said, this is just my opinion (along whith the dyno numbers to show).......
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 PM
C5Pat
Racer

I suggest walk away. Find a good dyno tuner & get a custom tune for your car with your mods in your area with your altitude, your gas type (gas is different in different regions) & you will be much happier. Any dyno tuner can do what a handheld can but tweek it, adjust air/fuel mix thru the WHOLE rpm band & you will see a HUGE difference from any factory tune. Good luck. Oh before all you guys with hand helds start bashing what I said, this is just my opinion (along whith the dyno numbers to show).......
Thanks Man,,,,, The only problem is the nearest dyno is about 4 HRS. away, After I change the gears I can't really drive it until I get the progamming changed, shift points etc. Thats why I'm trying to find a hand held, but I don't want to put out $300+ and then another $400 for a dyno tune. See my problem!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 11:48 PM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the advice. Now I know what my next mod will be
Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 AM
travelingypsye
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5Pat
Thanks Man,,,,, The only problem is the nearest dyno is about 4 HRS. away, After I change the gears I can't really drive it until I get the progamming changed, shift points etc. Thats why I'm trying to find a hand held, but I don't want to put out $300+ and then another $400 for a dyno tune. See my problem!!!
Shift points will be the same. Just different speed. The rpm, pressure will not change from just changing the gear ratio. You should be able to drive the car with out any problems.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:26 AM
C5Pat
Racer

Really!!! Am I going to get any codes or engine light?......Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Predator for sale

Old 03-23-2008, 10:57 AM
travelingypsye
Melting Slicks

You shouldn't. Not that I know. If you do, you know that the car is ok & all that has happened is a gear change. I would find a dyno tuner, call & talk to him about what he can do for you. Set up an appointment & go get it done. As I stated b-4. I HAD a preditor tune & my dyno tune aded 32RWHP & 36RWTQ on top of the handheld. So......go from there.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:14 AM
C5Pat
Racer

Thanks Again
Old 03-23-2008, 05:36 PM
rockn347
Instructor

A dyno tune is fine if you're never doing anything else to the car again. Many people will modify thier car many times after a tune. The handheld is a great way to make adjustments as modifications are done. I will drive with it plugged in to see intake air temps in different situations. I can change the temps the fans come on. Diablo can make a custom program with your specific mods and send it to you. With basic bolt ons, a dyno tune is not really necessary. It's when you get to the heavy duty stuff that you'll want to add a dyno tune. Just my opinion.

Ray

Quick Reply: Predator for sale