Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

***OBX HEADER GROUP BUY C5 and C6 $559.99***

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by WalterSobchak
Would the LG tunnel plate with the holes in it not have the 02 issue? ie do the holes line up with the 02's?
Not sure. We would have to ask someone who would possible have this combination of tunnel plate and headers
Old 04-21-2009, 08:33 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

ansers to some questions i sent yesterday to OBX Kind of basic response but its something

What exactly are the cat resonators that are being installed in lieu of genuine high flow metal matrix core cats?

Fiberglass-wool packed resonated hi-flow test pipe

Can OBX build these systems with an optional high flow random technology or magnafow metal matrix cats at an added cost?
No. (Do-able… if you supply us with those cat.s + additional labor., advance deposit & minimum quantity is required).

Can OBX offer the Jet Hot Sterling coating of the left and right header primaries.
No.

Are all primaries 1 3/4 or do you have 1 7/8 as well? What about 3x3 xpipe
All primaries are 1.75”, 3x3 pipe is not available

Has the fit of the X-Pipe been corrected since the recent reports of the 'auction site' headers?
No problem w/ x-pipe fitment

What is the return and warranty information for people who would want to return these if I sell them to them

Limited, non-transferable lifetime warranty, on the part only!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:10 PM
RogerT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Simulators

Do we need to get a pair of 02 simulators to cope with the resonators that replace the cataletic converters to fool the computer? How about 02 extentions for the front?

Roger T
Old 04-21-2009, 03:29 PM
The Evil Genius
Le Mans Master

Location: Dayton, OH HAWG: "this is Off Topic...it can get a bit north of care bears and strawberry shortcake in here"
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

So why can't someone buy CATs and just clamp them in in place of the resonators?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:11 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

you can. Or find dynomax cats. You'll need to either cut the flange off the resonators and weld to new cats or somehow flare the end of the cat pipe and put the flange on the cat.

Dave
Old 04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
RogerT
Pro

Default You can, but...

Originally Posted by The Evil Genius
So why can't someone buy CATs and just clamp them in in place of the resonators?
You can buy a pair of cats but that defeats the the whole concept of these OBX headers being economical.

The whole idea of this group purchase is to make them affordable.

Roger T
Old 04-21-2009, 07:05 PM
The Evil Genius
Le Mans Master

Location: Dayton, OH HAWG: "this is Off Topic...it can get a bit north of care bears and strawberry shortcake in here"

Originally Posted by Roger T
You can buy a pair of cats but that defeats the the whole concept of these OBX headers being economical.

The whole idea of this group purchase is to make them affordable.

Roger T
Sure, but they're still affordable even over most other systems without cats, so I was just offering up another options for whoever asked the cat question.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Calibur45
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess i'm thinking more along a different line...i was contemplating removing the resonators so it will have a better noise!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:18 PM
RogerT
Pro

Default ' Check Engine"

Originally Posted by Calibur45
I guess i'm thinking more along a different line...i was contemplating removing the resonators so it will have a better noise!
How are you going to deal with the dreaded " check engine" light on dash? Somehow we have to deal with the computer. Doesn't that require a pair of simulators?

Roger T
Old 04-21-2009, 07:20 PM
RogerT
Pro

Originally Posted by The Evil Genius
Sure, but they're still affordable even over most other systems without cats, so I was just offering up another options for whoever asked the cat question.
Have you priced cats? They are pricey aren't they?

Roger T
Old 04-21-2009, 07:48 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

12 are now in!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 PM
The Evil Genius
Le Mans Master

Have you priced cats? They are pricey aren't they?

Roger T
Nah, a hacksaw and a suburban neighborhood full of foreign SUV's makes it easy. Or so I hear...

Back on topic, this is a great price on good quality products.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:14 PM
RogerT
Pro

[QUOTE=The Evil Genius;1569797961]Nah, a hacksaw and a suburban neighborhood full of foreign SUV's makes it easy. Or so I hear...

Now that there's funny! I dun't care who yu're!

Roger T
Old 04-22-2009, 08:10 AM
T A WS6 M6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are you going to deal with the dreaded " check engine" light on dash? Somehow we have to deal with the computer. Doesn't that require a pair of simulators?

Roger T
or removal of certain codes from the pcm. Whatever floats your boat...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Calibur45
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by T A WS6 M6
or removal of certain codes from the pcm. Whatever floats your boat...
Yup, will probably just have it tuned out.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:17 PM
GODSPEED1
Heel & Toe

so will installing these obx long headers automatically cause CEL to come on?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:41 PM
T A WS6 M6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GODSPEED1
so will installing these obx long headers automatically cause CEL to come on?
No. Not having cats is gonna cause the light to come on. Either get cats for it, use o2 sims, or have someone tune the car....it's a peice of cake any way you slice it. I feel so 80s right now.

Buy the headers! I want mine!

Get notified of new replies

To ***OBX HEADER GROUP BUY C5 and C6 $559.99***

Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

ok guys lets talk about this whole cat thing and 02 sensors and simulators. I have little to no experience with HP tuners on corvetts but I do have extensive experience with it and GM's ECOTEC powertrain and the delta platform. Anyway. to get to my point. In my old GM ECOTEC Delta platform the rear 02 sensor is use for COT Protection aka Cat Over Temp Protection. With that said the rear o2 sensor will tell if the CAT is overheating if it is the PCM will attempt to correct this problem by dumping fuel which results in cooler combustion cooler exhaust gas temps, which means cooler cat. When you take the CAT out the rear 02 sensor thinks the CAT is overheating so it will dump fuel or richen up the commanded AFR. it will also turn the check engine light on to tell you your having a COT issue. Anyway, the east fix for this on the delta Platform (ECOTEC powered) and I'm sure its the same way for the Vetts, was to go into your tune with HPT and disable the COT Check engine light and set the COT Protection threashholds so high that it will never enable the vehicle to dump extra fuel due to thiinking the CAT is too hot. Make Sense? No need for simulators ect. ect. the whole process takes verry little time. You will spend more time flashing the tune back on to your car then you would making the changes.

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 04-22-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:55 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

make that 13 orders just placed mine.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 PM
RogerT
Pro

Originally Posted by 1BADGTM
ok guys lets talk about this whole cat thing and 02 sensors and simulators. I have little to no experience with HP tuners on corvetts but I do have extensive experience with it and GM's ECOTEC powertrain and the delta platform. Anyway. to get to my point. In my old GM ECOTEC Delta platform the rear 02 sensor is use for COT Protection aka Cat Over Temp Protection. With that said the rear o2 sensor will tell if the CAT is overheating if it is the PCM will attempt to correct this problem by dumping fuel which results in cooler combustion cooler exhaust gas temps, which means cooler cat. When you take the CAT out the rear 02 sensor thinks the CAT is overheating so it will dump fuel or richen up the commanded AFR. it will also turn the check engine light on to tell you your having a COT issue. Anyway, the east fix for this on the delta Platform (ECOTEC powered) and I'm sure its the same way for the Vetts, was to go into your tune with HPT and disable the COT Check engine light and set the COT Protection threashholds so high that it will never enable the vehicle to dump extra fuel due to thiinking the CAT is too hot. Make Sense? No need for simulators ect. ect. the whole process takes verry little time. You will spend more time flashing the tune back on to your car then you would making the changes.

When you say " ...to go into your tune with HPT and disable the COT Check engine light and set the COT so high that it will never enable the vehicle to dump extra fuel due to thinking the CAT is too hot. Make sense?..... No!.......

Easy for you to say. I'm an old duffer. Please explain. Is there a way to keep this simple? Please be gentle.

Roger T

Quick Reply: ***OBX HEADER GROUP BUY C5 and C6 $559.99***