Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

tail light screws?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:09 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

Default tail light screws?

anybody got a pair they don't need anymore? i hit a real hard transition in some road construction last weekend & due to the blackout covers, which (for those of you who have them - you know) don't let the stock screws get but a couple threads in there, they popped right off & my right tail light is only held in by the wiring harness now. it's hard to find a hardware store who carries 4.2x1.4x30mm bolts & the best dealer price is still retarded

any of y'all got some extras you'll let go cheap?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Fastenal!!!

I buy all my hardware from them, good prices too!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:55 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

oh yeah... forgot about them. the place i worked before the AF used to get stuff through their store.
thanks Brian

it's still nicer to have OEM stuff, though
Old 06-21-2013, 12:57 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

haha... of course i make that last comment with repro rear wheels (and all 4 custom powdercoated), new headlights/corners/tails, a different hood, a space heater intake manifold, and not one factory piece of exhaust left
Old 06-22-2013, 01:08 AM
NotLawReview
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

go to lowes, get some size 8's that are 1.25in and they are exactly the same as stock. get the 1.5inchers for your blackout covers... same thing happened to me last weekend due to my screw on covers and the 2 dollar lowes screws are perfect fits
Old 06-22-2013, 01:13 AM
nascar57
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I used square head screws on all my led tailights so it would be a little more difficult to steal them. To easy for anyone with a screwdriver and evil intent to make off with them.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:12 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NotLawReview
go to lowes, get some size 8's that are 1.25in and they are exactly the same as stock. get the 1.5inchers for your blackout covers... same thing happened to me last weekend due to my screw on covers and the 2 dollar lowes screws are perfect fits
i'll try that - i still ain't found none the right size yet & i pass Lowes almost every day. and if they're $2 each (which is still an 'ouch'), that's about 1/2 what the stealerships wanted

Originally Posted by nascar57
I used square head screws on all my led tailights so it would be a little more difficult to steal them. To easy for anyone with a screwdriver and evil intent to make off with them.
well, Torx ain't really all that easy to take out without an actual Torx driver - i've tried on multiple sizes over the years... but you're right, robertson head screws are even less common
Old 06-23-2013, 12:38 AM
Justinduhhhh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your whining about spending 4 dollars in screws to hold your taillight in?
use lock tite the next time and they wont fall out
Old 06-23-2013, 09:31 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

no, it's that i don't support the concept of overcharging for something so simple. $4 & change each for a small screw (even though it is a weird size) is ridiculous & i knew there had to be a normally-priced alternative.

it's like i have to explain to my wife all the time - it ain't about 'how much' something is; it's about what you get for that price.
imagine you're thinking, "man, i'd really love a coke right now." and as you walk around the corner, lo & behold, in front of you are two vendors each charging $1 for a coke - one guy is selling 12oz cans from a nice plywood & 2x4 stand while the other has 20oz bottles in a coleman cooler. what's the logical decision here?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Justinduhhhh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
no, it's that i don't support the concept of overcharging for something so simple. $4 & change each for a small screw (even though it is a weird size) is ridiculous & i knew there had to be a normally-priced alternative.

it's like i have to explain to my wife all the time - it ain't about 'how much' something is; it's about what you get for that price.
imagine you're thinking, "man, i'd really love a coke right now." and as you walk around the corner, lo & behold, in front of you are two vendors each charging $1 for a coke - one guy is selling 12oz cans from a nice plywood & 2x4 stand while the other has 20oz bottles in a coleman cooler. what's the logical decision here?
skip both and go for the person selling the pepsi
its about quality over quanity
oem screws will work better and fit perfect as they are for that car
Old 06-24-2013, 12:53 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

but the problem is that it was the OEM screws that caused this predicament because they're designed to screw all the way into a recessed hole inside the tail light housing whereas i'm using 1/8" ABS covers over top of the outside surface of the lights, therefore winding up with only 2-3 threads being left to hold the assembly in place.

long story short, i picked up a 10-pack of 1.5" #8 phillips machine screws for $2 then used some rattle can flat black to color the heads. they hold just fine now with a good 1/2" of thread.

thanks, y'all

ps - pepsi sucks

Get notified of new replies

To tail light screws?

Quick Reply: tail light screws?