Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Looking to trade ProCharger Big Red Open bypass valve for your TiAL Q 50mm

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Sea Five
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to trade ProCharger Big Red Open bypass valve for your TiAL Q 50mm

I am looking to trade a procharger big red open race bypass valve for a 50mm tial Q open blowoff valve, preferably with an 8 or 10 pound spring. let me know if you are interested, or even just want to sell yours, or just buy mine. thanks! pics can be exchanged

Last edited by Sea Five; 09-10-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Gotubch
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sea Five
I am looking to trade a procharger big red open race bypass valve for a 50mm tial Q open blowoff valve, preferably with an 8 or 10 pound spring. let me know if you are interested, or even just want to sell yours, or just buy mine. thanks! pics can be exchanged
What spring is in your big red? How much you willing to sell it for?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:59 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

You do need to post an asking price for your bypass valve, even for a trade.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-threads.html
Old 09-11-2014, 12:16 AM
o1Z0sick
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why do you want to use a Tial? I thought the big red was the king of bovs. I have never used a big red which is why im asking.

Also why do want that spring? I use 2lb springs with the blower.

Last edited by o1Z0sick; 09-11-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:33 AM
Sea Five
Racer

as per rules, an outright sell would be $275.00 plus shipping. there is no spring in the big red. it is factory preset. I want the tial simply for its sound over the big red. similar but more crisp with the heavier spring. less of a jet engine at cruise, more of a flutter release. just personal preference.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Old 09-11-2014, 01:10 PM
spoolin7
Pro

as per rules, an outright sell would be $275.00 plus shipping. there is no spring in the big red. it is factory preset. I want the tial simply for its sound over the big red. similar but more crisp with the heavier spring. less of a jet engine at cruise, more of a flutter release. just personal preference.
I just installed a Tial Q on mine. You'll want the 2psi spring that they recommend. The heavier ones will cause unwanted air flowing through the maf when in vacuum, which will make you use more fuel. This is why I went with it, because my old one wasn't opening enough and it overwhelmed the maf when driving around town.

As for the jet engine noise, the Tial is insanely loud. Never heard a Big Red in person, but I can't imagine it's worse. Also, my Tial doesn't flutter. If you have a fluttering bov, it's likely causing compressor surge, which is bad.

Here's a quick video of my Tial after some tuning the other night. This is with just the driver window partially down at highway speeds. Not trying to bust your ***** or anything, but wanted you to get what's right for you.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Sea Five
Racer

Let me give some info. The car is a 99 m6 with a p1sc speed density tune. No maf. Reads 13 in/Hg vacuum at idle. Makes 12 psi boost.

Changing to a tial woth a 2 or 3 poind spring would be almost identical tp the sound the big red produces. Nearly always open making a street sweeper noise under part throttle.

Changing to a 10 pound spring isn't possible in the big red. It is not adjustable per say. The tial is able to change to stiffer springs. The 10 lb spring should still keep the valve open at idle yet will snap closed a lot sooner than a 2 lb spring or the big red. To me its a crisper sound more of a pronounced blowoff than a lazy wheeze of constant airflow.

I can't post a link from my phone but go to YouTube and search "2002 z06 novi 1500" it is a red z06 with a tial q. This is the exact sound I want.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:40 PM
o1Z0sick
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolin7
I just installed a Tial Q on mine. You'll want the 2psi spring that they recommend. The heavier ones will cause unwanted air flowing through the maf when in vacuum, which will make you use more fuel. This is why I went with it, because my old one wasn't opening enough and it overwhelmed the maf when driving around town. As for the jet engine noise, the Tial is insanely loud. Never heard a Big Red in person, but I can't imagine it's worse. Also, my Tial doesn't flutter. If you have a fluttering bov, it's likely causing compressor surge, which is bad. Here's a quick video of my Tial after some tuning the other night. This is with just the driver window partially down at highway speeds. Not trying to bust your ***** or anything, but wanted you to get what's right for you. Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x-UYzdB0Tc&list=UUL-fM9MzebePqU-A6PYfK9g&index=1
+1 well said spoolin
Old 09-11-2014, 02:48 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you run a 10psi spring in the Tial you are going to heat up your intercooler and piping making the whole system less efficient.. There is a reason that people run a 2-3psi spring in the tial for supercharged applications, to bypass the blower pre intercooler.

Changing your setup to the way you are saying will increase IAT's and ultimately make less power.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Sea Five
Racer

East coast Supercharging has used both the 3 pound and 10 pound springs numerous times. as long as the valve is off of its seat and has enough vacuum to keep it open it works all the same. I could care less if its a 2,3,10, 5000 lb spring, whatever it takes to get what im trying to achieve without sacrificing performance, as I don't have to at all.

this video is an ecs kit with a tial Q 50mm.

here is a tial Q 50mm

this is 3 Tial Q's

now this is a procharger big red. hear how it doesn't fully close during a rev? it keeps bypassing until very close to wot. sounds sloppy. I know im particular. but we all are with our vettes. I simply prefer the sound of the tial to the procharger red.

notice the slight flutter just before release of the tial and also the quickness to respond to throttle? the Big Red stays open until you really take the vacuum away. its difficult to explain. the above videos are all corvettes with the sound im looking to achieve. thanks
Old 09-12-2014, 09:33 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

You really should run the 2 PSI spring in the Q which is recommended for all supercharged applications. It won't close till 2psi and will help the compressor surge. It really isnt too loud under 3k rpms. Beyond that if you are not hard on the gas (out of boost) it is pretty loud. My friend's Big Red is louder but he also has a bigger blower.

Here is various clips of mine (rev, hard on throttle, down shifting etc) which is on my 10 PSI P1SC-1 set up with the Tial Q pre intercooler

Last edited by PEETYZ; 09-12-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:34 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Two tial Q's with a YSI pullied past max impeller speed and ive never noticed any "flutter".... The blue car you have a video is bret's car and it doesnt have 3 Tial q's on it in that video.. 2 I think, that is a old video, I believe thats his old 402/YSI engine.

If you think it sounds better, go for it. Im certainly not a advocate for the big red valve, I like the Tials better from the get go.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:18 PM
spoolin7
Pro

Let me give some info. The car is a 99 m6 with a p1sc speed density tune. No maf. Reads 13 in/Hg vacuum at idle. Makes 12 psi boost.

Changing to a tial woth a 2 or 3 poind spring would be almost identical tp the sound the big red produces. Nearly always open making a street sweeper noise under part throttle.

Changing to a 10 pound spring isn't possible in the big red. It is not adjustable per say. The tial is able to change to stiffer springs. The 10 lb spring should still keep the valve open at idle yet will snap closed a lot sooner than a 2 lb spring or the big red. To me its a crisper sound more of a pronounced blowoff than a lazy wheeze of constant airflow.

I can't post a link from my phone but go to YouTube and search "2002 z06 novi 1500" it is a red z06 with a tial q. This is the exact sound I want.
1psi = ~2 in hg. If you have a 10psi spring, it will stay completely closed unless you're pulling more than 20 inches of vacuum at idle. I have the 2psi spring and I can tell you right now that it closes at exactly 4 inches. With my cam and heads, I'm only pulling 8 inches of vacuum. This is why I switched to the Q because my other bov wasn't opening hardly at all at an idle. You can do what you want because it's your car, but I'm telling you that a 10psi spring will likely cause you unwanted issues. Even without a maf, the map will still see additional pressure.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:23 AM
FRiCK916
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What if he just went with the black -6/-7 spring??
Old 09-22-2014, 10:45 AM
spoolin7
Pro

Originally Posted by FRiCK916
What if he just went with the black -6/-7 spring??
Same deal, it would stay closed unless he's making more than 12-14in of vacuum, which shouldn't be an issue for mild cams. I'd personally use what's widely suggested by the professionals for the best results, but that's me.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Sea Five
Racer

Originally Posted by spoolin7
Same deal, it would stay closed unless he's making more than 12-14in of vacuum, which shouldn't be an issue for mild cams. I'd personally use what's widely suggested by the professionals for the best results, but that's me.
I see right around 14 inches at idle with my cam. the only reason I considered a 10 psi spring is because that is the option many have spoken to have run on here. again I don't care which one it is, whichever everyone is running to achieve the correct functionality and sound I desire. lets face it I have one of the best bypass valves on the market installed and working just fine. this is simply a matter of preference.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to trade ProCharger Big Red Open bypass valve for your TiAL Q 50mm

Quick Reply: Looking to trade ProCharger Big Red Open bypass valve for your TiAL Q 50mm