Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

WTB Locking Lug nut key

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 03:44 AM
Echo97vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default WTB Locking Lug nut key

Went to take my wheels off to Test fit my new ones.... only to find they there is a lock on them. Looked in the back, My key is missing.

Does anyone have one for sale (or maybe that I could borrow) So i can get my wheels off? Even a part number so I could Order one would be great.

Car is a 1999 with Magnesium wheels If that makes a difference. Looks factory.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:46 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default I could be wrong

Originally Posted by Echo97vette
Went to take my wheels off to Test fit my new ones.... only to find they there is a lock on them. Looked in the back, My key is missing.

Does anyone have one for sale (or maybe that I could borrow) So i can get my wheels off? Even a part number so I could Order one would be great.

Car is a 1999 with Magnesium wheels If that makes a difference. Looks factory.

Thanks in advance.
but I recall that there are many, or at least several key variants, each with a code #. I think one has to contact vendor to order a new one. There was info in my packet about how to get a new key. Perhaps , if we can't help, a call to the dealer is in order.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:01 PM
Echo97vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by David Shiel
but I recall that there are many, or at least several key variants, each with a code #. I think one has to contact vendor to order a new one. There was info in my packet about how to get a new key. Perhaps , if we can't help, a call to the dealer is in order.
I figured as much, I bought a set/ key on an auction site. It looked identical, the marks are the same. Figured it was worth the $10 gamble. But the key is slightly larger in diameter.

Maybe ill swing by my local tire shop and see what they have.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:02 PM
patriotpa
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Any decent tire shop can get them off for you without damaging your wheels.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:08 PM
Echo97vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by patriotpa
Any decent tire shop can get them off for you without damaging your wheels.
I've seen people get them off with a pneumatic chisel/hammer gun. Id really hate to see my mags get chewed up over a lug key lol. I'm sure my local Americas tire can get them off. I just wished I had the damn key myself.

It'll be an excuse to get some 285's up front on the new wheels I suppose.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:22 PM
fasttruck
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have removed several wheel locks by using a deep socket that is slightly smaller than the lock and hitting it over the lock with a few sharp hammer blows, once it is jammed on the lock you can remove it with a breaker bar. This does mark the lock so it may not be reusable. Good Luck, I have never damaged a wheel doing it this way.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:04 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default All good suggestions.

Originally Posted by fasttruck
I have removed several wheel locks by using a deep socket that is slightly smaller than the lock and hitting it over the lock with a few sharp hammer blows, once it is jammed on the lock you can remove it with a breaker bar. This does mark the lock so it may not be reusable. Good Luck, I have never damaged a wheel doing it this way.
If you don't care about saving the wheel locks , you or a tire shop can easily remove them (and IMHO so can a dedicated thief) and just replace them with lug nuts with the threaded ends to accommodate the lug nut caps. I kept mine, as the locks can be a PITA.
Dave

Last edited by David Shiel; 11-30-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:15 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

I had the same thing when I got mine....What I found out was 2 companies were providing wheel locks McGard and Amcor...I contacted both and mine happened to be an Amcor and they identified it and replaced it from a photo of the lug key pattern...
here's the email I used to contact Amcor:
amcor@hi-volproducts.com

Mind you this was a while ago - 2009

Good Luck...

Get notified of new replies

To WTB Locking Lug nut key

Quick Reply: WTB Locking Lug nut key