Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

FS: Z06 Ti Exhaust So Cal

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:52 PM
Brice Peters
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Z06 Ti Exhaust So Cal

Hey Gents,

I got a stock C5 z06 titanium exhaust off my 2002 z06. Now that I got my turbo setup going I went full 3" all the way back. Exhaust has 36,000 miles on it. The exhaust shop that made my custom x pipe cut the exhaust on the passenger side where the axle over portion meets the muffler. They weld titanium and I had them weld it back on. Looks as good as the factory welds.

looking to get $400 OBO, thanks!

Last edited by Brice Peters; 04-26-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:47 PM
Millennium
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get it welded? I'm also in socal and I can't seen to find anyone who can do the ti bypass on my Z06 exhaust. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:01 PM
Boodieman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They TIG welded it and it looks like they used stainless steel rod...just an observation from the color of the weld bead.
Weld looks very nice.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:17 PM
Brice Peters
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boodieman
They TIG welded it and it looks like they used stainless steel rod...just an observation from the color of the weld bead.
Weld looks very nice.

Hey Boodieman,

Are you knowledgeable with welding? Are there concerns if it is indeed welded with a SS rod? Any way to test its durability?

I would hate to sell something to someone that is going to break when they install on their car.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Brice Peters
Instructor

Originally Posted by Millennium
Where did you get it welded? I'm also in socal and I can't seen to find anyone who can do the ti bypass on my Z06 exhaust. Thanks!

Hey Millennium,

The shop that did the weld was Orange County muffler in Costa Mesa. I am waiting to hear back from Boodieman as he pointed out it may be SS rod used. I don't know if there are issues with that since I know jack about welding lol. In the mean time you can check out Dynamic Fabrication in Santa Ana or Specialized Welding and Fabrication in Lake Forest. Both those places have specialization in Titanium and other exotic metals, but they charge $100 minimum just to make a single weld of Ti.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:42 PM
68 Big Block
Intermediate

Weld looks very nice.
You can't use anything but Titanium rod to weld Titanium. The colors on the weld indicate defects.
As a former nuclear welder I can tell you that welding Titanium is difficult, but only because everything needs to be cleaned to almost surgical levels
Attached is a link taken from Miller Welding's website to show what colors are acceptable and what are not...https://www.millerwelds.com/-/media/...9AF73E6CC288DE
Old 04-25-2017, 06:54 PM
Brice Peters
Instructor

Originally Posted by 68 Big Block
You can't use anything but Titanium rod to weld Titanium. The colors on the weld indicate defects.
As a former nuclear welder I can tell you that welding Titanium is difficult, but only because everything needs to be cleaned to almost surgical levels
Attached is a link taken from Miller Welding's website to show what colors are acceptable and what are not...https://www.millerwelds.com/-/media/...9AF73E6CC288DE

Thanks 68,

That has me wondering. The stock welds from the factory clearly have blue/violet colorization to them as well. Does that mean that the exhaust from the factory came with defects?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:30 PM
68 Big Block
Intermediate

Weld looks very nice.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:01 AM
Brice Peters
Instructor

Well I just spent a few minutes beating on the welds with a hammer and they are still perfectly intact. I don't know how much more abuse they would see on the car. Anyone who is interested is welcome to beat on them as well before buying!
Old 05-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Brice Peters
Instructor

Someone shoot me an offer, tired of seeing this on my patio!

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Ti Exhaust So Cal

Quick Reply: FS: Z06 Ti Exhaust So Cal