Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

WTB: Need 1999 corvette abs ebcm

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 07:30 PM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need 1999 corvette abs ebcm

This Army Vette needs a
1999 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ABS EBCM

This electronic brake control module sits directly on the right side of the anti lock brake system distribution block under the hood where all brake lines connect. I assume this module controls the anti lock brake system and the module has been discontinued by GM for some strange reason. I don't know if I have anti lock brakes or not. This is a insurance claim item. I had a right front tire blow out after running over some kind of debris on the interstate. I got the error message "ACTIVE HANDLING PROBLEM - SERVICE VEHICLE" on the DIC and factory diagnosis is the ABS EBCM....Thank you for your help in advance.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:33 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by ArmyVette24
This Army Vette needs a
1999 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ABS EBCM

This electronic brake control module sits directly on the right side of the anti lock brake system distribution block under the hood where all brake lines connect. I assume this module controls the anti lock brake system and the module has been discontinued by GM for some strange reason. I don't know if I have anti lock brakes or not. This is a insurance claim item. I had a right front tire blow out after running over some kind of debris on the interstate. I got the error message "ACTIVE HANDLING PROBLEM - SERVICE VEHICLE" on the DIC and factory diagnosis is the ABS EBCM....Thank you for your help in advance.

IF you need one.....which code?? M or V no new ones unless you get lucky and then you would be paying $$$$$$$$$$$

BUT it seems odd that a blowout would create that issue....are they sure the cable from the wheel hub isn't destroyed and causing the message???
Old 11-07-2017, 08:13 PM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Originally Posted by pewter99
IF you need one.....which code?? M or V no new ones unless you get lucky and then you would be paying $$$$$$$$$$$

BUT it seems odd that a blowout would create that issue....are they sure the cable from the wheel hub isn't destroyed and causing the message???

Thank you. The blow out expense is well over $3000 at this point awaiting the cost of the ECBM. My Corvette is with Chevrolet right now so I don't have access to the nomenclature. That is a good idea about the cable but surely they would have checked. It might have been a wild coincidental failure but as long as my insurance is paying the tab I'm going to replace the module if I can find one - new or used, as long as it works and takes care of the error message. I'm not real high on the tech that is currently working on my Corvette. He doesn't know which plug goes to the outside ambient air temperature sensor which was removed along with the front bumper. My radiator was busted and my ECS intercooler was also busted as well as the radiator/intercooler support bent. My insurance is paying for everything. They knew the Corvette was like new inside and out. I spent the entire summer installing the ECS Paxton supercharger. They are good to replace aftermarket parts like the intercooler and support. Thanks for any ideas about the module. Where do I look to find out if it is a M or V code? Thanks again
Old 11-07-2017, 08:19 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by ArmyVette24
Thank you. The blow out expense is well over $3000 at this point awaiting the cost of the ECBM. My Corvette is with Chevrolet right now so I don't have access to the nomenclature. That is a good idea about the cable but surely they would have checked. It might have been a wild coincidental failure but as long as my insurance is paying the tab I'm going to replace the module if I can find one - new or used, as long as it works and takes care of the error message. I'm not real high on the tech that is currently working on my Corvette. He doesn't know which plug goes to the outside ambient air temperature sensor which was removed along with the front bumper. My radiator was busted and my ECS intercooler was also busted as well as the radiator/intercooler support bent. My insurance is paying for everything. They knew the Corvette was like new inside and out. I spent the entire summer installing the ECS Paxton supercharger. They are good to replace aftermarket parts like the intercooler and support. Thanks for any ideas about the module. Where do I look to find out if it is a M or V code? Thanks again
ahhh....that explains it...lots of underhood damage

the code is stamped on the unit...
Old 11-07-2017, 08:59 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 438 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Doesn't an active handling code mean that's a V EBCM ? just wondering. I thought that's the only one that had active handling in 99.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:23 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by corvettezman
Doesn't an active handling code mean that's a V EBCM ? just wondering. I thought that's the only one that had active handling in 99.
I believe you are correct but I don't assume anything...
Old 11-07-2017, 09:58 PM
jd2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Ecbm

I would call VetteNuts in Bell Buckle, TN. 615-896-6100.

That is where I purchased a used SDM unit for my 1999 Vette air bag system. They had the exact part number unit and that resolved my error code problem.

I would get the part number and code off your unit before calling.

JD
The following 2 users liked this post by jd2:
ArmyVette24 (11-21-2017), Marc@Vettenuts.net (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 08:37 AM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

If the display says Service Active Handling then it is a V Unit. The good news is that if it started after the damage it is more than likely a wheel speed sensor harness. We have the Abs unit in stock used with a warranty and any other part that it may need.

My advice would be to get it away from the the Stealership to a shop, anywhere but there. Pull the code and it will tell you where the failure is. Have the tech call me if they have any questions.

615-896-6100

Marc

Last edited by Marc@Vettenuts.net; 11-08-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:37 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc@Vettenuts.net
If the display says Service Active Handling then it is a V Unit. The good news is that if it started after the damage it is more than likely a wheel speed sensor harness. We have the Abs unit in stock used with a warranty and any other part that it may need.

My advice would be to get it away from the the Stealership to a shop, anywhere but there. Pull the code and it will tell you where the failure is. Have the tech call me if they have any questions.

615-896-6100

Marc
Great vendor here & really good guy. Have been down to his shop & gotten more than a few parts from him. Robert
Old 11-08-2017, 03:36 PM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marc@Vettenuts.net

615-896-6100

Marc

Thanks Marc, other Tennessee contributors and to the other states represented in this thread. I just got off the phone with my excellent body shop owner and told him to pick up my Corvette from the dealer after I just got off the phone with the dealer shop manager who wouldn't even confirm the wire colors to the plug of the outside ambient air temperature sensor which affects the automatic climate control. The sensor must have been lost during the incident. The right front hit the asphalt pretty hard when the tire blew. It was dark but I felt it when I ran over whatever was laying on the interstate but I brought my Corvette to a stop slowly. It damaged the bumper cover, the right front wheel of course, the radiator cracked on the top left side surprisingly, the intercooler busted on the bottom right and the support bent on the lower right. A lot of costly damage from just hitting the asphalt.
I'm getting a second diagnosis from a much larger, much more experienced dealer shop that has worked on my previous two Corvette's successfully and professionally.
If they do not have the module and it is proven to be bad, I will purchase the V module and/or the wheel speed sensor and cable from you Marc. I appreciate all of the input. It has helped a lot and I know a vendor here in Tennessee to get parts from.
How much is the V EBCM, cable and wheel sensor Marc?? My insurance will reimburse my cost. The dealer said there was also a possibility that a steering sensor in the interior of the car on the steering shaft could be bad. I had to rotate the steering column during the installation of my ECS supercharger system. Is there any possibility that I might have damaged this sensor or wiring when I rotated the steering shaft to line up the collar to the rack & pinion? Would that cause the "active handling problem - service vehicle" message? Hopefully I will have an update tomorrow on the V EBCM and if needed I will purchase a used one from you Marc.
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I live in the very small town of Waverly, TN and there are no trusted shops in my area. I would need to travel at least 100 miles east to Nashville and surrounding areas to find a performance shop that would be good for my Corvette. Hopefully tomorrow will bring the news on the part(s) needed and if it's the V EBCM I will contact you Marc.
Thanks again. The Corvette knowledge on these forums is nothing less than spectacular.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:43 AM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Originally Posted by jd2
I would call VetteNuts in Bell Buckle, TN. 615-896-6100.

That is where I purchased a used SDM unit for my 1999 Vette air bag system. They had the exact part number unit and that resolved my error code problem.

I would get the part number and code off your unit before calling.

JD
I think I left you a "Thanks" JD. The second diagnosis from a better Chevy service department says the message is due to a bad steering angle sensor. Still the same story though - no longer made. I called up Marc and he had one. Anything Corvette is crazy expensive but I cannot stand to have an error message plus this sensor ties into most of the safety systems. I hope their diagnosis is correct because my insurance refused to cover the sensor. I understand it is hard to tie into the other damage but I didn't have any error messages until the right front blow out. I do not believe it was coincidental that the sensor went bad at that very moment. I am an Army Desert Storm veteran and have USAA as insurance. This minor incident happened on September 22nd. It will be November 22nd tomorrow. I've provided all of the necessary parts except the radiator and I've had to call USAA, my body shop and two different Chevrolet service departments almost every single day for the past two months. I understand these people do not work on Corvette's very often but they are set up pretty much like any other computer, electronic control module controlled vehicle I would think. I know they don't like the fact that my Corvette has the ECS forced induction either but again that doesn't make much difference either except to the performance settings in the main computer I don't think. I am running on a totally different main computer that was tuned and sent to me. I'm going to VetteNuts to see Marc next month for a high end set of long tube headers if I ever get my Corvette back. VetteNuts is only two hours away from me and then I will get a dyno tune...I appreciate the help and recommendation. I have found my part(s)..

Get notified of new replies

To Need 1999 corvette abs ebcm

Quick Reply: WTB: Need 1999 corvette abs ebcm