C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Still pinging in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 05:08 PM
jrizzuto
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Still pinging in Texas

Very confused on pinging issue. I have a stock 2000 Vette A4. Did everything humanly possible to get rid of PART THROTTLE pings. WOT is fine. Typical situation would be cruising along at around 35mph, which is just before you go to 4th (overdrive) and tackle an incline or hit the gas "a little bit". The RPM range is about 1300 thru 1800 - nowhere else. Had the rear knock sensor replaced. The front is ok, according to the dealer. I show no codes at all. (And I found out just recently that on LS1 engines, the knock sensors turn on @1650rpm)
I experimented with plugs. Tried NGKs, tried colder plugs, different wires, finally ended up with Delco stock Iridiums. They do run the best. I installed a PCV catch-can. Yes it captures a little oil when I beat on it, but not a whole lot. I had decarbs done at the dealer twice. I regularly use Techron (the 20 oz stuff). Octane boosters have no effect. Some brands of gas respond better than others, but I generally stick to Mobile 93 octane. I removed the Corsa exhaust thinking the noise floor is fooling my knock sensors. I only fooled myself. The dealer appled a "fix" for my vin that addresses pinging. Close - but no cigar. So after all of these improvements combined, the pings were greatly reduced and I could live with it. I thought.

Then I got brave and bought a Predator. Why I do these things, I just don't know. Of course the Diablo tune makes it ping even more. And the edits it provides is only for WOT. My WOT is fine. So Dan @ Diablo did me a favor and got me a custom tune with reduced timing. Twice. Still pinging.

Even if the gas I buy is bogus (maybe they throw regular in the premium tank once in a while just for fun???), the PCM has 2 timing tables - why wouldn't it see that and adjust accordingly? Any suggestions? Now that I am broke, and have a Predator I can't use - now what? I cringe to think I have to spend more money on custom tuning the Predator, that made my car worse than before, it just doesn't seem fair.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:43 PM
debmwb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar thing, but now it's gone. I have the Predator, and am using the factory tune at the moment. I have 3% timing on both rpm bands, and richened the fuel mixture on both rpm bands also to 4%. My pinging is gone. Hope it stays that way in 103 degrees. I'm using Mobil / Exxon 93 gas, and NO octane booster. Enriching the fuel mixture was what solved it for me.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:35 AM
tv7son
Racer

Maybe it is something simple. It may be sucking air somewhere between the MAF and the throttle body. That assy flexes with engine torque.
I had the sometime it pings and sometimes it don't problem
(Almond Joy Syndrome)
All I did was make sure everything was aliged correctly and seal the
plastic air bridge componants with black sylicone. No more ping.
I did everything you did too and nothing helped. I even bought a new MAF to see it the screen being back in helped.

Best of luck to you

SFS
Old 03-03-2005, 03:14 PM
EVIL
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I had a buddy with the same setup with A4, and he had pinging with the hypertech, and the stock tune, and he had Jim at CCSTuning in Austin, TX custom tune it, and it now runs smoother, faster, and has no pinging at all now. Here's the phone #, if you want to give them a call. Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

You say you tried octane boosters.
Did you try TORCO?
I have intermittant pinging @2000 RPM under load but not at WOT.
I can not ever get it to ping no matter what I do if I put 1/2 can of this in a full tank of gas!!

Old 03-03-2005, 04:59 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by EVIL
I had a buddy with the same setup with A4, and he had pinging with the hypertech, and the stock tune, and he had Jim at CCSTuning in Austin, TX custom tune it, and it now runs smoother, faster, and has no pinging at all now. Here's the phone #, if you want to give them a call. Hope this helps.

Coreys the man !!
Old 03-04-2005, 02:08 PM
jrizzuto
Pro

TV7son - you may have an idea there. I do notice the familiar intake "whistle" when I accell a little bit. I thought I read on another forum somewhere that this is ok, but it doesn't hurt to apply a little silicone just to be sure.

I tried so many brands of octane booster, not sure if any were Torco. Somehow my gut feeling is that timing is not my issue. It may be too lean. I really wish the Predator adjusted A/F for more than just WOT. Then I could experiment on my own.

Other than timing, A/F too lean, or carbon buildup - what else could be the cause of pings? We don't really have an EGR valve, or do we? Mechanical possible? I'm out of ideas.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2005, 11:40 AM
debmwb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tv7son
Maybe it is something simple. It may be sucking air somewhere between the MAF and the throttle body. That assy flexes with engine torque.
I had the sometime it pings and sometimes it don't problem
(Almond Joy Syndrome)
All I did was make sure everything was aliged correctly and seal the
plastic air bridge componants with black sylicone. No more ping.
I did everything you did too and nothing helped. I even bought a new MAF to see it the screen being back in helped.

Best of luck to you

SFS
I put on the silicone last night too. I am having the sometimes it pings...sometimes it doesn't syndrome now. Hopefully this does the trick!
Old 03-26-2005, 10:33 PM
jrizzuto
Pro

Default update

well I applied the silicone to all the intake joints. I'm confident I don't have any leaks, but the ping lives on!! So after reading many many posts (I really gotta get a life), I bought a couple cans of seafoam. I tried techron 2 20 oz in the gas, I tried all kinds of top end cleaners, so now its seafoam.

I gotta say this stuff is very different. It feels kinda "oily". So I rigged up a vaccuum hose that gradually joins with thinner tubes, and finally joins with one of those red plastic tubes you find on a can of silicone or WD40. Connected it to the PCV port, ran the hose inside the car and proceeded to draw the stuff into the intake while I keep the car from stalling. I used up the whole can, but just as I was done, I let the car draw it in and stall.

I left it for about an hour and started it up - quite hard to start. Man was it ROUGH. It was smoking big time ! Clouds of white smoke filled the neighborhood, so I figured I better drive away. I blew the daylights out of it.

Next day, I can't tell you how different the motor feels. Clear, responsive, amazing. The pings are very much improved. Lets see how long it lasts. I'll probably put a can in the tank next time I fill up. I guess when you use the car every day doing 30mph on these stupid radar trap infested roads, carbon will kill you.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jrizzuto
well I applied the silicone to all the intake joints. I'm confident I don't have any leaks, but the ping lives on!! So after reading many many posts (I really gotta get a life), I bought a couple cans of seafoam. I tried techron 2 20 oz in the gas, I tried all kinds of top end cleaners, so now its seafoam.

I gotta say this stuff is very different. It feels kinda "oily". So I rigged up a vaccuum hose that gradually joins with thinner tubes, and finally joins with one of those red plastic tubes you find on a can of silicone or WD40. Connected it to the PCV port, ran the hose inside the car and proceeded to draw the stuff into the intake while I keep the car from stalling. I used up the whole can, but just as I was done, I let the car draw it in and stall.

I left it for about an hour and started it up - quite hard to start. Man was it ROUGH. It was smoking big time ! Clouds of white smoke filled the neighborhood, so I figured I better drive away. I blew the daylights out of it.

Next day, I can't tell you how different the motor feels. Clear, responsive, amazing. The pings are very much improved. Lets see how long it lasts. I'll probably put a can in the tank next time I fill up. I guess when you use the car every day doing 30mph on these stupid radar trap infested roads, carbon will kill you.
Glad to hear you finally are getting rid of your ping.

Torco clears mine right up.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:57 AM
George8211
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My basically stock 99 also pings. I was considering adding an alky system for some other upgrades... I think that will make my pinging a thing of the past... Plus cooler intake temps, ongoing carbon reduction.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:13 PM
jrizzuto
Pro

Originally Posted by George8211
My basically stock 99 also pings. I was considering adding an alky system for some other upgrades... I think that will make my pinging a thing of the past... Plus cooler intake temps, ongoing carbon reduction.
Sorry, don't know what an alky system is. Can you elaborate....thanks
Old 03-29-2005, 08:49 AM
tv7son
Racer

I'm glad to hear you and your car are doing better.

SFS
Old 04-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Southview
Racer

I am having the same problem with my 01 a4 w/non i/c mag.I put in some cam 2 and it did't help.Alky injection is on the way.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:09 PM
George8211
Melting Slicks

Sorry, don't know what an alky system is. Can you elaborate....thanks
For the most part Alky systems are used on engines that are turbo, super charged, or are very high compression. More and more it is coming to light that most cars will get some benifit from a wet injection system. It can help keep the motor clean, allow for a more agressive tune and reduce certian emissions.

I'm no expert on the subject, all I know is what I have found on other sites. There are a number of vendors that sell bolt in kits for around th $250-$350 price range.... Here is a site that you can look at to get a little more familair with this set up. This is geared for a Turbo Application... but you will get the idea.

http://www.turbocalculator.com/water-injection.html
Old 04-04-2005, 11:10 AM
lvvette777
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macinamouth
You say you tried octane boosters.
Did you try TORCO?
I have intermittant pinging @2000 RPM under load but not at WOT.
I can not ever get it to ping no matter what I do if I put 1/2 can of this in a full tank of gas!!

Is the Torco stuff safe for the o2 sensors and cats???
Old 04-04-2005, 12:48 PM
George8211
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lvvette777

Maybe a Torco expert will show up and answer your questions

Get notified of new replies

To Still pinging in Texas

Old 04-04-2005, 05:37 PM
myblackC5
Pro

Default pinging

my 1998 pinged in the mid range, so some one suggested changing the fuel filter, it worked for me..............

Old 04-04-2005, 11:30 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by lvvette777

I've been running Torco Unleaded race fuel concentrate in my car for over 2 years now. It is safe on cats and O2s.
Let me know if you'd like to try some.
JB
Old 04-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
I've been running Torco Unleaded race fuel concentrate in my car for over 2 years now. It is safe on cats and O2s.
Let me know if you'd like to try some.
JB
Well it looks like the expert just showed up to the party (Hi Joel)

Ivvette777....you should try some I will bet it works. If not you will be able to sell it to someone local.

Quick Reply: Still pinging in Texas