C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Need Advice For Someone New To Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 12:17 PM
pistolpete817
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Need Advice For Someone New To Tuning

I have a 04 C5 coupe with an A4 and 3.15 rear end. The only mods are a transmission cooler and a Halltech Stinger intake.

This car is used mostly as a street and highways car that I even let my wife drive (sometimes).

But about 3-4 times a year I take it to Texas Motor Speedway for track days.

This is an all day session on a controlled 2.5 mile course using the oval and an infield course with passing allowed. There is a lot of hard braking and WOT with a top speed of about 140 mph. Although this is a “school”, spontaneous racing has been known to break out.

I have worked on cars for over thirty years, but I am not familiar with what tuning the PCM can do for me. My wife does not want to drive a "race car" around town, but I would like to get all I can at the track. A Mustang SVT looks best as it recedes in my rear view mirror.

What would you suggest? I have several suggestion s from my friends.

1 Take it to a local tuner. Stick with his tune full time.
2 Buy a tuning program. Capture the OEM tune. Take it to a local tuner. Capture his work. Swap the OEM tune and tuner’s work as required.
3 Buy a tune from a mail order tuner (I don’t know how this works)
4 Buy a second PCM from a mail order tuner and swap it with my OEM PCM as required.
5 Buy a tuning program and have it myself.

I would appreciate any of the forum’s opinions and/or other options. I have another track day coming up on May 4th and I’m really looking forward to it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:45 PM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi pistolpete817 -

Having a professional tune done will not have any negative impact on driveability - in my experience anyway....

I had Ernie Francis (Breathless Performance) tune my Z at the NCM during a cruise in a few years ago - the improvement in performance was remarkable! Well worth doing, and I would be very surprised if your wife would be able to tell the difference.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 04-05-2006, 04:05 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're not doing mods now or planning to, then just get it done by a professional. That way you can appreciate a good tune now rather than go through a PCM learning curve and then gaining a good tune later.

Arnel

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice For Someone New To Tuning

Quick Reply: Need Advice For Someone New To Tuning