C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

o2 sensor code 1153 won't go away???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:25 PM
01 Vert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another update.. went out and removed rear o2's and left new sensors in the front and still have the same mess. I've been reading about modified O2's and washers to shim them out to trick them.. anyone had good luck with this kind of stuff? please let me know.. I'm out of ideas

Rich
Old 05-04-2008, 02:35 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I was getting a consistent 1154 and changing to BWD sensors made the 1154 go away. Now I get 133 and 153. So no better off.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:48 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

I have had LG Streets installed in my 02, I get a P0133 (slow H02 switching). I tuned out the code but I would rather fix it since I am in closed loop letting the 02 sensors trim the AFR.

I was gonna swap out that sensor, but sounds like you tried that already....
Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 AM
01 Vert
Instructor

has anyone tried to modify their sensors? I just don't want to live with this.. I really want it right and I'm not sure what direction to go. I thought the tune would fix it but it is still the same. if anyone has any ideas.. please let me know. I'll try anything at this point

thanks

Last edited by 01 Vert; 05-05-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:16 AM
01 Vert
Instructor

OK.. I have an idea tell me what you think. What if i modify the sheilds on the o2's? I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems the problem boils down to how much heat and flow the sensors get. since the sensors have been moved to futher down the line in the exhaust they need more heat and flow to read right. So we are going to hook the car to my buddies snap on computer, get a base line to where the o2's are reading now. the computer will graph them and tell us what they are reading and what the car wants them to read. so I'm hoping once that is done I can pull the sensor and maybe expand the slots on the sensor to give it more flow, put it back in the see what happens, maybe with the more flow it will start to read the proper voltage etc and make the car happy.. do you all think I'm nuts or do you think it might work?? let me know

thanks

Rich
Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 AM
highpockets
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried running some scans on both sensors to verify activity ? Verified fuel pressure,NO exh leaks,upstream of the sensor ? Sensors are installed in relatively the same position on the headers(side to side ? ) If you swap sensors and problem stays on the same side,logic tells me you have a legit fueling or leak problem or the sensor is mounted too far from head to respond quickly. Code is showing lack of QUICK response or switching if you will,sets when sensor does not RAPIDLY switch above .600 MV and below .300 MV within a predetermined amount of time (unspecified,I am looking on my database) If you were to look at traces,or monitor sensor activity of both upstream O2 sensors,you should see them start to become active within about 100 seconds of engine startup,fairly rapid switching from rich to lean.Post up what you find,I usually have problems with sensors burning wiring more than anything else on LT cars.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:30 AM
01 Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by highpockets
Have you tried running some scans on both sensors to verify activity ? Verified fuel pressure,NO exh leaks,upstream of the sensor ? Sensors are installed in relatively the same position on the headers(side to side ? ) If you swap sensors and problem stays on the same side,logic tells me you have a legit fueling or leak problem or the sensor is mounted too far from head to respond quickly. Code is showing lack of QUICK response or switching if you will,sets when sensor does not RAPIDLY switch above .600 MV and below .300 MV within a predetermined amount of time (unspecified,I am looking on my database) If you were to look at traces,or monitor sensor activity of both upstream O2 sensors,you should see them start to become active within about 100 seconds of engine startup,fairly rapid switching from rich to lean.Post up what you find,I usually have problems with sensors burning wiring more than anything else on LT cars.

no I haven't run any scans yet. I just decided to try this last night. I've been working with the tuner thinking it was a tuning issue but now I'm not so sure. All the reading I've done seems to be more of a heat and postion problem, since they used to be in the base of the manifold and now are a at the base of the header. I'm trying to keep the car from going to into closed loop and running rich as hell. I'm going to get his scanner this weekend and hope by opening the sensors up and watching the voltages I can get them to give the computer what it wants. Also I haven't been able to edit the header onthis post but since I installed new o2s I now have code 1055 also, so it seems I have the same problem on both sides. There are no leaks of any kind in the headers, the sesors are within 2" of each other so they are pretty much in the same position. I think it boils down to how far they are from the heat soarse. Who ever thought headers would be such a pain to get straight.. Sometime I miss carbs.. lol

thanks

Last edited by 01 Vert; 05-22-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After installing LG Pro long tube headers w/o cats on a customer's low mile 03 ZO6, codes P0133 & P0153 would set. This is because the O2 sensors are much further away from the exhaust ports. I set P0133 & P0155 to no error reported in the tune. I also set codes P0134, P0154, P1133 & P1153 to no error reported since the customer had to drive 2.5 hours to my shop, and those codes most likely would also set. And of course the rear O2 sensor & cat codes were set to no error reported.

Yet on my H/C 2001 ZO6 with TPIS headers, no front O2 sensor codes were ever set.

Russ Kemp
Old 05-22-2008, 04:06 PM
01 Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Russ K
After installing LG Pro long tube headers w/o cats on a customer's low mile 03 ZO6, codes P0133 & P0153 would set. This is because the O2 sensors are much further away from the exhaust ports. I set P0133 & P0155 to no error reported in the tune. I also set codes P0134, P0154, P1133 & P1153 to no error reported since the customer had to drive 2.5 hours to my shop, and those codes most likely would also set. And of course the rear O2 sensor & cat codes were set to no error reported.

Yet on my H/C 2001 ZO6 with TPIS headers, no front O2 sensor codes were ever set.

Russ Kemp

that is the same thing my tuner said he did and still we are getting the codes. he said he can't understand why this is happening. that is why I'm trying off the wall things to see if it help.. i'm going to try to mod the o2's hopefully later this weekend
Old 05-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

If your tuner actually set the codes to no error reported, there is no way they would set again! And do not try to modify the O2 sensors, as you will only damage them. My customer's 03 ZO6 has not set the codes in 2 weeks of driving since the header install.

If you tuner is using Hp Tuners, have him post the tune on the Hp Tuners forum, and I'll take a look at the codes for you.

Are you sure about the P1155 code, as it is set to no error reported on a stock 2001 C5 tune.

Russ Kemp

Last edited by Russ K; 05-22-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:32 PM
01 Vert
Instructor

If your tuner actually set the codes to no error reported, there is no way they would set again! And do not try to modify the O2 sensors, as you will only damage them. My customer's 03 ZO6 has not set the codes in 2 weeks of driving since the header install.

If you tuner is using Hp Tuners, have him post the tune on the Hp Tuners forum, and I'll take a look at the codes for you.

Russ Kemp
I've been trying to get him to send it to me but he has been busy I guess. I had a post going over there but they deleted it because it was to do with emissions. If you turn those codes off totally.. does the computer then go into closed loop and make the car run rich? or does it just bypass the test part of it and still use the info it's getting to tune the engine? When my light comes on the car runs rich as hell.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:12 PM
01 Vert
Instructor

Are you sure about the P1155 code, as it is set to no error reported on a stock 2001 C5 tune.

Russ Kemp
i'm sorry that was a typo on the code it is 1055
Old 05-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

There is no P1055 code, maybe it is a Bxxxx or Cxxxx code?

Russ Kemp
Old 05-22-2008, 06:13 PM
01 Vert
Instructor

There is no P1055 code, maybe it is a Bxxxx or Cxxxx code?

Russ Kemp

I must have written it down wrong.. I'll have to check it again and see what it is..
Old 05-22-2008, 10:45 PM
01 Vert
Instructor

Russ Kemp
Russ
my tuner sent me a copy of the file but I'm not sure how to post it. I can't open it since I don't have the hp tuners software. if you would be willing to take a look at it I could e mail it to you? Please let me know and thanks for all help. my e mail is rcornwell@verizon.net
Old 05-23-2008, 09:01 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

I opened up the fins on my brand new BWD sensors before I installed them. Like I said before seemed to help with the 1153/1154 and 1133/1134, but then 133 started showing up. Though not as often, only under very specific conditions -- warm start, then idle and low load conditions.

I agree its not in the tune since only one bank, maybe I'll go back and open the fins on that sensor just a tad more. I used a small screwdriver to open the fins. Some sensors have holes rather than fins. I would be much more hesitant to drill or "woller" out the holes.

I know the sensors are not reading spot on because at 1100 - 1500 RPM low load, I get a very slight buck, as if the mixture isn't quite right.

I'm wondering what sort of Air intake you have -- and if that could be the common thread among those who have these code problems and those who don't.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:05 AM
01 Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by jedblanks
I opened up the fins on my brand new BWD sensors before I installed them. Like I said before seemed to help with the 1153/1154 and 1133/1134, but then 133 started showing up. Though not as often, only under very specific conditions -- warm start, then idle and low load conditions.

I agree its not in the tune since only one bank, maybe I'll go back and open the fins on that sensor just a tad more. I used a small screwdriver to open the fins. Some sensors have holes rather than fins. I would be much more hesitant to drill or "woller" out the holes.

I know the sensors are not reading spot on because at 1100 - 1500 RPM low load, I get a very slight buck, as if the mixture isn't quite right.

I'm wondering what sort of Air intake you have -- and if that could be the common thread among those who have these code problems and those who don't.
I think i'm going to try that very same thing this weekend. I have any RM racing twin cone intake.. I'm going to use a scanner and do a base line on the o2s and then mod them and then check them with the scanner and see if it helps.. stay tuned and keep you fingers crossed

Get notified of new replies

To o2 sensor code 1153 won't go away???

Old 05-23-2008, 03:43 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Oh and just to make me look really cool ,after throwing nothing but the occasional P0133 for almost 3 weeks, it threw 133, 153 and 1154 simultaneously on the way home today. First time it's thrown 1154 since I replaced the sensors.

I give up.

The car will only throw these codes when its in "warm up mode"

Once its to operating temp, and I clear the codes, they NEVER return during that drive cycle. It HAS to be an O2 heating issue.

Watch it prove that statement wrong in a few days too. UGH!

I'm considering removing the Vararam and returning to the stock intake just for giggles.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:06 PM
01 Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Oh and just to make me look really cool ,after throwing nothing but the occasional P0133 for almost 3 weeks, it threw 133, 153 and 1154 simultaneously on the way home today. First time it's thrown 1154 since I replaced the sensors.

I give up.

The car will only throw these codes when its in "warm up mode"

Once its to operating temp, and I clear the codes, they NEVER return during that drive cycle. It HAS to be an O2 heating issue.

Watch it prove that statement wrong in a few days too. UGH!

I'm considering removing the Vararam and returning to the stock intake just for giggles.
man that sucks.. you had given me hope.. Russ just looked at my tune and found what I hope is my issue. I'm going to try to get it loaded up and see how it goes..

Last edited by 01 Vert; 05-23-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:33 AM
azZ06Mike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

my car was doing this with the same code! my tuner checked it and my 02's were shot! i have lg pro long tubes! bought new rear o2's installed and no more code!!!!

Quick Reply: o2 sensor code 1153 won't go away???