C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

LG Pro w/cats wideband O2 location

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 PM
dmiz0420
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LG Pro w/cats wideband O2 location

So I'm looking to puts cats on my car mainly to quiet it down, but I have to pass emissions too. Does my wideband O2 have to be before the cats?

I thought of wrapping the x pipe to keep the exhaust hot for the cats, then the system could stay in the same configuration, and the wideband could sample after the x pipe, before the cats.

Anyone know if this is a viable option?

thanks

Last edited by dmiz0420; 09-30-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 PM
torkman15
Racer

Originally Posted by dmiz0420
So I'm looking to puts cats on my car mainly to quiet it down, but I have to pass emissions too. Does my wideband O2 have to be before the cats?

I thought of wrapping the x pipe to keep the exhaust hot for the cats, then the system could stay in the same configuration, and the wideband could sample after the x pipe, before the cats.

Anyone know if this is a viable option?

thanks
Yes, before the cats. I always put mine right next to one of the front O2 bungs, just a couple inches away so you are reading in the same area as your primary sensors. The O2s behind the cats are just there to monitor the efficiency of the cat. The cats are hot enough they dont need any help.

Good luck, Tom
Old 09-30-2009, 10:45 PM
dmiz0420
Racer

thanks,

I was looking to wrap the x pipe to keep the exhaust hot for the cats rather than put the cats before the x pipe.

THe x pipe was set up for off road use and the WB O2 accordingly.

LG calls for the cats to come right off the header collecter becasue it is the hottest and will maximize efficiency of both catylist and minimal restriction (hot gasses flow better through restriction).

So building on that thought, will ceramic coated headers and a wrapped x pipe deliver an acceptable amount of heat to the catylitic converter given that I will not be running rear 02's (no codes to throw) and the converters are there to control sound and smell?

Last edited by dmiz0420; 09-30-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:40 PM
CoreyZ06
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're thinking right and all.. but ive heard all kinds of stories about cats setting grass on fire from being so hot.. so like the other dude said leave em alone they're prolly fine even tho they are a tad further down stream
Old 09-05-2011, 06:52 PM
bmfrc
Racer

Originally Posted by CoreyZ06
you're thinking right and all.. but ive heard all kinds of stories about cats setting grass on fire from being so hot.. so like the other dude said leave em alone they're prolly fine even tho they are a tad further down stream
LOL, my buddy got high centered on a grassy hill one time. He went to go get someone to pull him off, but when he got back, his car was engulfed in flames, Fire dept said the cat on the exhaust was the hot spot of the fire!!

Get notified of new replies

To LG Pro w/cats wideband O2 location

Quick Reply: LG Pro w/cats wideband O2 location