C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Where Do You Find That Table?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:14 PM
TurboLX
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Where Do You Find That Table?

“Where did you find that table?”

This is one of the most common questions I see asked on any fuel injection tuning forum. Navigating the various tuning software packages on the market can be a daunting task for the beginner. As I often instruct my live training class students, the important thing is to know what you’re looking for before actually hunting. If you know that you’re looking for the table that describes fuel injector flow rate as it varies with rail delta pressure, you’re much more likely to know it when you see it. Even then, finding the exact table name or location may still be a bit of a “needle in a haystack” feeling until you become more familiar with a particular tuning system.

In my home training DVDs, students have the benefit of being able to stop, slo‐mo, and replay to see exactly where I opened a table. In a live class, I’m always happy to show where certain tables are buried as well. In a forum post, I often take for granted that people know where to go to find a certain table.

In an effort to help the community as a whole, I have compiled these general table location documents for your reference. Consider them a gift to the greater good, rather than part of an expensive training system. It’s still up to the end user to learn how to properly adjust any table shown here, but hopefully this will speed up your learning curve as you progress with your EFI tuning experiments and projects.

I have separated the tuning parameters in tree format by both software systems and major task that would require the adjustment of that particular table or variable. Keep in mind that not all years and ECUs have the same tables available.

Some ECUs have more tables mapped by the software company than others and the OEM may add or change tables by model year, so what you see on one program may be slightly different on the next. If your ECU doesn’t have a table or value shown here, don’t panic. It just means that it either doesn’t exist on your particular controller, that the software company hasn’t mapped it, or that model year has a different label/name for the table. If you’re not sure whether a certain table should exist in your controller, your best bet is to contact their tech support group and ask for clarification.

Together, the tables and values pointed out here cover about 90% of most tuning operations. Getting these values right is the first step in any successful engine tuning exercise. Get these wrong and you’re likely to create problems down the road that may appear to be “driveability” or idle control problems, but are really just fundamental setup issues. For those of you with more experience, this document will serve as a refresher or handy reference. For those of you just starting on your tuning education, this should give you a great jump start and help avoid some of the stumbling around that comes with being new to calibration. The tables are presented in an order that if used will also help save you time and effort in the long run. Simply fixing these tables won’t get you to 100% on their own, but it’s a strong start. Good luck and happy tuning!

Read the whole article HERE.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 AM
SMaster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you very much.

I used Tunercat, Datamaster and VEMaster to tune l98's a long time ago. I've had HPTuners for three years and haven't needed to get into any serious tuning but I knew there were dozens of tables I didn't have a clue about, (and still don't).

Again, thanks!

Last edited by SMaster; 04-26-2011 at 06:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Where Do You Find That Table?