C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Faint smoke from tailpipes only when idling, bad fuel smell...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 10:29 PM
Whiteaw57
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I have the EXACT same issue down to the tan #8 plug.....Please tell me you found the solution. It doesn't respond to anything that I do.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:07 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

Mine began to do the same thing after a hard pull on the dyno.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:49 PM
Sea Five
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys this issue was corrected a long time ago haha but I figured I'd reply for those of you wondering. 7 of 16 valve seals were chewed up from my double valve springs. Changed to Viton seals and never had the issue again. Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Whiteaw57
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sea Five
Guys this issue was corrected a long time ago haha but I figured I'd reply for those of you wondering. 7 of 16 valve seals were chewed up from my double valve springs. Changed to Viton seals and never had the issue again. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response Sea Five. I helped mine quite a bit by leaning out the tune and going to an open loop idle but I have a ton of oil in the intake and its likely a valve seal issue. (Just got the car). I am going to put a catch can on it and probably valve seals and hopefully it fixes it. After I leaned out the tune I was left with white puffs randomly rather than the constant black smoke.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:42 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

If it makes any difference - on my 4Runner I had flakey idle and gas smell - replaced the upstream O2 sensor (before the cat) and life is good - I was also showing a P0117....
Old 09-27-2015, 02:20 PM
forbiddenvette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issue on my 480whp LS2 . Seals got eat'n after 10k mile spring change. Going to buy the installer tool this time
Old 07-14-2017, 02:19 PM
Dirttracker
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EGR on my 80 is unplugged

this issue was never resolved. it still smokes as its been for about a year now. only changes ive made to the car were a brand new ls6 intake with a catch can and its still an issue. im beginning to rule out pcv...

the car still suns solid as can be, only smokes right at idle. and alot, if the wind is blowing itll blow the smoke past my windows, its very embarrassing.

ive ran the car is straight ve mode by unplugging the maf from a dead cold startup, same poblem.

anyone else wanna take a stab at it? i see others are having the issue too, what the heck gives?! ive just been 'dealing' with it.
So i just bought this 80 and it ran like crud in upper rpms and smoking what looked to be brown.Rough idle and popped through carb once.I raised hood and seen someone had disconnected egr valve.I am hoping when i put a plate on instead of dead egr it will stop.Do yours have egr?

Last edited by Dirttracker; 07-14-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Faint smoke from tailpipes only when idling, bad fuel smell...