C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Where is best place to put Wideband???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM
TooMch
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Where is best place to put Wideband???

I'm very early in my tuning knowledge but I know using a Wideband to see what is really happening is highly recommended. I've searched and see several references inside of other threads somewhat related to the issue but what I'm looking for is people's opinions based on their experiences with their choice.

My intention is to use the wideband for tuning and scanning only. I'm not planning to hook up an active display that is always running.

I guess my choices are:
1.) remove one of the NB sensors and put the WB in its place for my scanning/tuning runs
2.) have a new bung welded in and I guess install the WB when I want to scan/tune and remove it and plug the bung otherwise.

Is there a 3rd choice? Like do #2 but leave the WB in?? I wouldn't think so, but this is why I'm asking.

Are there advantages to installing a separate WB bung as opposed to removing one of the NB for scanning and tuning purposes.

Also, if I remove a NB, does it disconnect so I can physically remove it from the car and leave it in the garage until I'm ready to reinstall? Or do I have to protect it and tie it up somewhere out of the way under the car while the WB is installed.

I have LG LT headers with hi flo cats and when I get under the car there doesn't look like there is a lot of room for another O2 sensor.

Plus, if the stock NB is removed and replaced with the WB, then don't I need to turn certain things off in the PCM?

FWIW - I have a 2001 A4
Mods
Vararam, ported C6 90mm TB, Fast 92, custom PBJ cam & tune, LG LT headers, Corsa Pace Car, 2800 yank, 3.42, elite insulated tunnel plate, Hardened A4, B&M tranny cooler, C6 split spoke 18x9.5f 19X11r, w/Nitto Invos

Thanks,
-Rick
Old 04-06-2012, 12:09 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

If you are running the STOCK MAF closed loop tune you'll need the stock narrowband 02's installed for the eng to run properly--Even though narrowbands only are used for P/T fueling Un connected 02's most likely will make the ECM go into some sort of "limp mode"
as a result of an 02 fault--Best way and really the only way is to install a dedicated bung for the wideband-----It should be Pre-cat---and ideally above the 3 and 9 o'clock positions to avoid condensation fouling and inaccurate readings--Sometimes there just isn't enough room with LT's to get the bung that high---mine is about 5 0'clock--but that is the highest i could get it--as long as it isn't near the botton of the collector--
Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Your WB needs to be the very first 02 sensor. Think of a comet and the way when you see one it has a trail. The 02 sensor has the same thing and if you have a sensor in front of your WB it can corrupt the reading. With that being said here is how I do it. I remove the bank1 sensor 1, I install my WB right there in the same spot. I then remove bank 1 sensor 2 and install my sensor 1 in that hole. It is not optimum to install a 02 senor after a cat, but you are using it to tune the car and then removing it correct. So when tuning all of your closed loop operations are going to be turned off and so is the LTFT so you don't really need the sensor 1 right now. The car will need it and you can turn on your closed loop for a sanity check on your base tune. This is how we do all of our cars. Just remember that it is important that the WB02 is the first sensor.
Justin

Get notified of new replies

To Where is best place to put Wideband???

Quick Reply: Where is best place to put Wideband???