C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Reduced Engine Power. Car will not start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Logikal1
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced Engine Power. Car will not start!!!

Ive seen a few other posts with same message, "Reduced Engine Power" but my problem is a little different. First off i was not able to get any codes, it just says "no comm." The car will turn over but not start. It has a brand new battery. The worst part is I just picked it up from the dealership today and supposedly the problem was fixed. They said it had a bad battery even though the battery that was in there was only 2 days old. Well i bought the new AC Delco battery and drove it around and it was fine until i got it home. Also i had the car tested at Advance Auto Parts and the battery, alternator, and starter are good. I had a neighbor mechanic take a look and he said it sounds like the fuel pump is not working bc there is no noise when you turn the key to on. Ive done a lot of research and read all the other threads and checked the wires/harness that goes into the throttle body, the TB is free and clear and moving ok. Also the problem did not start after a wash like some others, it was a dry day so I don't think moisture has anything to do with it. Any ideas? Thoughts? Why it says "no comm" instead of giving codes?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:00 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Does it start then die immediately ?? or never fire at all ??
If no fire at all--turn the key "ON" without starting and go to the fuel rail-on the drivers side there is a shrader valve ( looks like a tire valve stem) usually has a black cap on it------Push the valve center in with a small screwdriver or whatever and see if any fuel sprays out !! If there is no fuel--- that's your problem to track down
If there is fuel-- then you may have an ignition problem--check all the grounds-If you know how to check for fire with a spare plug do that--see if there is fire
If you have fire and fuel and it starts and dies--It is most likey the anti-theft system
Try cleaning your key or try using the spare key--( the keys have a hidden ohm resistor that prevents theft )-clean the ignition switch but be careful---
Lastly --disconnect the battery overnight to allow the ECM to completely un load-They often get glitches or spikes especially after the battery has been changed or gone very dead-
Old 05-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Logikal1
6th Gear

Thanks for the help. No, it does not fire up at all. My mechanic just called and says he thinks it is the ECM.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Logikal1
6th Gear

*Update* My mechanic tried a new ECM. Same problem. Reinstalled the original ECM and now will be focusing on the ignition.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:11 PM
moosifer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the ignition switch is the problem. Try this thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html
I performed it and it solved my no comm issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Reduced Engine Power. Car will not start!!!

Quick Reply: Reduced Engine Power. Car will not start!!!