C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

New to me turbo Z06 tunning

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:14 PM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New to me turbo Z06 tunning

Picked up a new toy this past week and I'm trying to lean it out at idle now at 13:1 should be 16:1 or so, correct? It seems like I keep lowering the cell on the ve table and it doesn't seem to get better. I've fixed the rich cruise condition without any problems. Do I need to change something in the idle airflow table to achieve my desired idle afr?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Hard to say not knowing what "all" you are doing. If you are just opening up the VE table there could be another table at play that you are not looking at. The number in the cell of the VE table does not produced the end result of getting the AFR you are looking for. It is really a long winded answer that is needed for this to at least get you on the right path. First you need to disable all fuel controls for closed loop fueling, even the saftey fueling tables. Then you can start in your base tables. Good luck. We are not far from you if you would like to schedule something.
Justin
Old 06-22-2012, 01:19 AM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Hard to say not knowing what "all" you are doing. If you are just opening up the VE table there could be another table at play that you are not looking at. The number in the cell of the VE table does not produced the end result of getting the AFR you are looking for. It is really a long winded answer that is needed for this to at least get you on the right path. First you need to disable all fuel controls for closed loop fueling, even the saftey fueling tables. Then you can start in your base tables. Good luck. We are not far from you if you would like to schedule something.
Justin
Yeah I just wish HPT wasn't so dam complex!! It doesn't need to be. I have a buddy that runs the Holley system (more expensive since you have to buy the harness and ecu and all) and it's so much more user friendly, you want 15.5:1 at idle just tell it that's what you want. Maybe I don't want to spend $1000's taking Greg Banish courses on how to use HPT!!

I also don't want to spend $500 for someone to tune WOT and make more HP's. That's not the problem WOT tuning is easy, it's the drivability and street manners I'm after and that takes time not just 30 min on a dyno. Not flaming you Justin just frustrated with the tuning snobs on HPT forums mainly. I just want to know where in HPT do I need to go to lean out my idle besides the main ve table, you would think that someone out there would be able to let me know this. PM me if the tuning gods will bring retribution down upon thee.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by ZO6-Driver
Yeah I just wish HPT wasn't so dam complex!! It doesn't need to be. I have a buddy that runs the Holley system (more expensive since you have to buy the harness and ecu and all) and it's so much more user friendly, you want 15.5:1 at idle just tell it that's what you want. Maybe I don't want to spend $1000's taking Greg Banish courses on how to use HPT!!

I also don't want to spend $500 for someone to tune WOT and make more HP's. That's not the problem WOT tuning is easy, it's the drivability and street manners I'm after and that takes time not just 30 min on a dyno. Not flaming you Justin just frustrated with the tuning snobs on HPT forums mainly. I just want to know where in HPT do I need to go to lean out my idle besides the main ve table, you would think that someone out there would be able to let me know this. PM me if the tuning gods will bring retribution down upon thee.
I understand. WOT is easy, it seems that most don't realize what it takes to calibrate for drivability. It is not as easy to explain though since there is not just one table for you to go to, and in fairness those stand alone systems do not have as good characteristics for drivability that the stock systems do. The VE table is where you need to be for one, but you have to make sure that there is not another table at play. There are a dozen or so tables that you can see that will result in the final pulsewidth of injector. Have you looked at what the EQR is to make sure that something else is not at play? I wish I could be more help but there is a reason why calibrator charge what they do and Greg charges to teach what he does. Just like I don't try and perform open heart surgery, doctor's get what they get to do that. Not trying to discourage you, but the stock system is way more complicated then a stand alone and at the end of the day when it is done correctly the stock system will drive a thousand times better than a stand alone system. If anything you can buy the CD that Greg sells, He is showing you the tables to calibrate, not just showing you how to use HPT. HPT is actually fairly easy to use and way more user friendly than EFILive would be.

Last edited by Zip Corvettes; 06-22-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:41 AM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your injector data may be incorrect. At idle, that's the lowest your pulse width is going to be. If you're lowering your VE, and it's not leaning out any, you've probably hit your injector pulse width "floor". This is assuming your tune is setup in speed density properly, and it's not running off the MAF.

If your injector data IS correct, there are one or two settings that can cause your injectors to stop at a certain pulse width, and not drop any further. If you can figure it out, email or PM and I'll see what I can do.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Zip Corvettes

Ed is right on this, I am hoping at least that you do have accurate injector data in there. You know the first video that Greg offers has a copy of allot of injector data in it. I would assume with what you are running you have a set of Deka 60's in there. All of the data for those is included with the first video. If you have a set of drilled injectors and are using the stock data, you might as well toss them. If you need a set of Deka 60's, I do have a set of flowed matched ones available. I cannot give you the data for them, it is proprietary to Banish, but I could sell you the data with permission from Greg. You would be surprised on how many issue this will fix with drivability.

Let me know if I can help.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:30 AM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

Thanks for your guys help and advice. I do have a set of 60 lb injectors in the car and not sure if the ifr or other injector data is correct. I've been tuning driveability and dialed it right in as far as AFR's are concerned and it runs great! I was having trouble with the idle in 800 rpm and 35 kpa (idle set at 850). It just idled rich when in that cell even when I kept lowering the number in the ve table. So I bumped the idle up to 950 and it idles in the 800 rpm 40 kpa cell now and it idles at 14.5-15 AFR now. I know that's a jack-leg way to fix it but it did fix it. I just kept lowering the 800 35 cell so much it is half of what the 800 40 cell is but it runs rich in the 800 35 cell and perfect in the 800 40 cell.

I also have an issue when cruising on the highway in 25 and 30 kpa in all rpm's. It is rich in this area (12.0 afr) when I am barely on the throttle on level ground or a slight decline. Again I keep lowering that band in the ve table and see no change in afr's.

HPT with a stock ecu/pcm whatever you like to call it, is complicated and I know efi live is even worse. I understand why tuners charge what they do now, I'm just broke and kinda want to know how to tune my cars myself. It's like when I swapped a LS1 into a 240 and begged frieds that knew how to wire to help me to no avail. I didn't know how to wire and had no intention of learning how but I had to if I wanted to ever have my car run and I did and now people want me to wire their cars now.

Thanks
Chris
Old 07-16-2012, 11:32 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Couple questions---Do you have LT headers ???
What sort of tune are you running ??
SD ?
closed loop (stock) ?
Semi open loop ?
Old 07-17-2012, 02:44 AM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

Originally Posted by tblu92
Couple questions---Do you have LT headers ???
What sort of tune are you running ??
SD ?
closed loop (stock) ?
Semi open loop ?
Hinson Turbo kit (No headers)

SD

Open loop (No LTFT or STFT)

Get notified of new replies

To New to me turbo Z06 tunning

Quick Reply: New to me turbo Z06 tunning