C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Knock Learn Factor Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:20 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Knock Learn Factor Question

If I have high and low octane tables equal will knock learn factor adjust from 1.00?

So far it seems it does not, but only short logging session with minor KR. Thought i'd ask instead of spending bits to to find out. Thanks
Old 04-06-2015, 08:46 AM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshboody
If I have high and low octane tables equal will knock learn factor adjust from 1.00?

So far it seems it does not, but only short logging session with minor KR. Thought i'd ask instead of spending bits to to find out. Thanks
I believe if the tables are equal then you won't get any knock adjustment.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enoniam
I believe if the tables are equal then you won't get any knock adjustment.
Sure the base timing won't change and learn factor doesn't matter when table equals... just curious if it still changes value based on KR.

My tables have been equal for past few log sessions and it hasn't moved from 1.00 (but only light KR). I haven't really looked at this channel before though, so no feel for its sensitivity.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:10 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

You still get knock retard. It just won't learn, the low octane table equals the high octane.
Even if it did learn, reverting to the low table yields the same timing.

I keep mine equal as well.

Ron
Old 03-14-2017, 11:18 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Hey, I'm the OP. Related question... did some VE tuning so set high/low timing equal... and behold when flashing my new tune I'm stuck at 0 knock learn factor slowly creeping back up. So how do you reset if pcm defaults to low table? Or do all tuners just wait it out... maybe setting low = high temporarily?
Old 03-23-2017, 01:30 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Don't quite understand what you are trying to accomplish----sounds like after some mods you are getting some timing removal that you blame on knock--YES this is very common with certain mods like cams headers noisy valve train that you will get some KR EVEN if you do not hear any detonation----This is called "false knock"
Typically with false knock you do not have to ever mess with the knock learn tables as this will create a whole new bag of issues that will be hard to diagnose
The best way to eliminate "false knock" from the mods I mentioned is to simple "desensitize your knock tables" in your tune and not the learning---
By desensitizing the knock tables it will remove all the flse knock----If you begin to hear pinging you went to far--then simply back off 2-3% and try it again--keep experimenting until it's perfect---
PS there are other things that can cause timing removal beyond knock whether real or false---IAT and ECT temp deducts also can remove tons of timing ---Especially if you hear no pinging yet timing is being removed---The way to tell is to data log your timing to see if the "commanded" timing is in fact the same as your "actual timing " If it is not-- then you need to find out where the deducts are coming from--IAT--ECT or KR ( real or false)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:04 AM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reply. These are 2 topics... I found my old thread when searching so used instead of starting new. I found the answer and yes KLF will go to 0 after failing the MAF. So you have to adjust by equaling your high low maps or wait it out.

I have much experience with false knock... basically it will show up with gain <1.25.

Get notified of new replies

To Knock Learn Factor Question

Quick Reply: Knock Learn Factor Question