C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Just installed new headers how do i tell if i need a new tune.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:04 PM
calbrit561
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just installed new headers how do i tell if i need a new tune.

I just put on a new set of new headers with an offroad x pipe. I had a street tune previously went i got the car last year. How can i tell if the car needs a new tune. As of now even with no cats my car is not throwing any codes and i have no check engine light. I have an OBD readers and can monitor certain parameters via my phone. What should i look for in terms of needing a new tune. I really don't want to spend $400 if i don't need to.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:09 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

It sounds like it doesn't "need" a new tune, but you'd probably be able to pick up another 10 hp or so getting it retuned.

How much is 10 hp worth to you?
Old 07-09-2016, 07:41 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you've already had a "street tune" they've proably gotten the low hanging fruit (timing, TQ mang., etc) and the headers would not, in my opinion, justify a tune.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:56 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Get a tune if you want to reap the full potential of your purchase..plus the well being that your motor is effectively burning at the correct A/F ratio thru out the pwr band...
Old 07-18-2016, 08:06 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Are you planning on anything else in the near future? Like a cam? Intake manifold? If so, wait and do it all at the same time. If not, I'd think you would pick up at least 10 horsepower optimizing the tune for the headers and off road x-pipe. Since you already have a street tune, won't they re-tune it for you for a hundred bucks or so?
Old 07-18-2016, 08:16 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Agree with everyone---If you are getting no drive ability issue you are most likely fine
However if you want that last little bit more performance then yes a retune will help
For a couple reasons-----
1. LT headers move the front 02 bungs further rearward---This makes them read wrong and potentially your P/T fueling will become off----and when having a positive fuel trim at P/T that % is also added to your WOT as well as a lean safety making it rich and lazy
2. Because LT headers have such thinner tubing walls than the stock ones your knock gsensors will pick up those new different noises and interpret them as KNOCK and timing will be removed when in fact there is no knock--
Data logging will help in seeing if you have any positive fuel trims at P/T which would require a retune as will data logging will show if you are geting any timing deductions from "false knock" which again with tuning you can desensitize your knock sensors to eliminate and unwanted timing deducts
Old 07-29-2016, 03:44 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

Like tblu92 says, data log a good 20 minute run and find out what, if any, needs to be changed. Since you had it street tuned before, they should have that file available to compare the changes reported in the pids.

Get notified of new replies

To Just installed new headers how do i tell if i need a new tune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed new headers how do i tell if i need a new tune.