C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Anybody Know how to program a BCM with the SDMs 4 digit ID#? (to cure SDM DTC B1001)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:34 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Default Anybody Know how to program a BCM with the SDMs 4 digit ID#? (to cure SDM DTC B1001)

I have a 2001 where I have replaced the BCM (a used one, it is the same pn as my original).

I did the RPO programming (I have a Tech2) and the Passkey relearn with the PCM.

I now have an Airbag trouble light, and DTC B1001(Configuration Error) is set in the SDM. I reset this SDM DTC everytime I drive the car so my airbags are functional.

How do you reprogram the BCM for the last 4 digits of the SDM ID number??

Is it true that a BCM will only accept the SDM ID programming once? If this is true, then a used BCM cannot be SDM ID re-programmed. Is this true?

Last edited by ersatz928; 11-20-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:46 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I was under the impression that a BCM relearn takes 3 cycles of key on 10 min key off 1 min. After which it's done.

I've attempted to use HPTuners for passkey relearn but I don't know if that actually worked or not. I still get codes about the passkey but I did buy a new ignition switch, just didn't install it yet.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:16 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Passkey relearn has nothing to do with my SDM DTC B1001 problem.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:58 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Try this.

Info - DTCs B1001, B1271 or B1780 Set When Replacing/Reprogramming Other Modules #02-09-41-001 - (May 24, 2002)

DTCs B1001, B1271 or B1780 Set When Replacing/Reprogramming Other Modules
1999-2003 Passenger Cars and Trucks

with Class 2 Serial Data Communication Between Modules

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and reflect changes in the Tech 2 procedure and filing classification. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-06-03-010A (Section 6 -- Engine).

Class 2 Serial Data Communication allows control modules (i.e. the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the Body Control Module (BCM), the Dash Integration Module (DIM), the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), the radio, the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Controller, and the Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) to exchange information. This information may be operational information or identification information. Among the identification information exchanged and compared within these modules is the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Typically the one module, the master module, broadcasts the VIN and all the other modules compare the VIN stored within itself. When the broadcast VIN does not match the VIN stored within the SDM, the following actions occur:

DTC B1001 Option Configuration Error is set and deployment of the airbags is inhibited.
DTC B1271 or a DTC B1780 Theft Locked. The VIN information is also used by the radio. When the VIN does not match the VIN stored within the radio, DTC B1271 or DTC B1780 is set and the radio is inoperative.
Additionally, the master module will compare the SDM's part number (last four digits) to determine if the correct SDM is installed in the vehicle. If the SDM is the wrong part, a B1001 will also set.

This situation may occur when a vehicle is being repaired. When a PCM or a body control type module is replaced, the VIN information must be programmed into the replaced (new) control module. A module which has had VIN information entered into it (for example, one taken from another vehicle) cannot be reprogrammed. VIN information can only be entered into new modules. The ignition must be ON in order to program the control module. Since the VIN information is broadcast when the ignition goes to ON from any other ignition switch position, DTCs may be set in the SDM and/or the radio. Therefore, always follow the specified control module replacement procedures.

After completing the repair, turn OFF the ignition for at least 30 seconds.
Turn ON the ignition and check for DTCs using a Tech 2® scan tool.
If DTCs B1001, B1271, or B1780 are present with a history status, DO NOT REPLACE THE SDM OR THE RADIO.
Clear the DTCs from all modules using the Tech 2 scan tool.
Remove the Tech 2® from the vehicle
Ensure the proper operation of the SDM by turning OFF the ignition and then turning ON the ignition. The air bag warning indicator should flash seven times and then go OFF.
Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 99-09-41-001 for additional information regarding proper reprogramming of the new/replaced module.

Clearing codes from the other modules is part of the replacement and reprogramming procedure for the replaced module. The repair is not complete unless all codes have been cleared from all modules.

DO NOT SUBMIT CLAIMS FOR OTHER MODULE REPLACEMENTS OR REPROGRAMMING.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:48 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

I have read that...it really does not tell me what I looking for...
Old 11-27-2016, 09:49 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Well then I'd be trying a BCM relearn the old fashioned way. BCMs get replaced all the time so putting a new SN into one isn't impossible.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:08 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Since BCMs get replaced "all-the-time", somebody knows how to do this.......I would like to know the details.....

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody Know how to program a BCM with the SDMs 4 digit ID#? (to cure SDM DTC B1001)

Quick Reply: Anybody Know how to program a BCM with the SDMs 4 digit ID#? (to cure SDM DTC B1001)