C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Cam options for my 2004 Z06? Everyone feel free to help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Naturally Vain
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Cam options for my 2004 Z06? Everyone feel free to help!

Hey guys, I am looking into getting a cam for my already lightly modded car.

So far I have Black Wing Cold Air Intake, Corsa Extreme Exhaust, Texas Speed and Performance LongTube Headers, TSP X-Pipe, No Cats.

I like the smoother, deep sounding cams rather than the choppy kind that sound like the car is going to cut off at idle. As far as HP goes, I would like to get to around 430-475 RWHP or so but am not hung up on any numbers at all as I do not drag the car. I have no idea what my current numbers are with my current mods as I bought the car last month. I may be close to those numbers, but who knows.

I am pretty new to this stuff and was wondering what all the different options are as far as cams go. The higher the stage of the cam the more performance gains I am assuming and the more that needs to be modded in addition to the cam? Feel free to educate me! I am open to all suggestions. Also, can some Cams be installed without adding additional mods? The higher the stage the more mods I will need. That how it works? Forgive my ignorance!
Old 02-18-2018, 10:57 PM
Naturally Vain
Racer

Originally Posted by Naturally Vain
Hey guys, I am looking into getting a cam for my already lightly modded car.

So far I have Black Wing Cold Air Intake, Corsa Extreme Exhaust, Texas Speed and Performance LongTube Headers, TSP X-Pipe, No Cats.

I like the smoother, deep sounding cams rather than the choppy kind that sound like the car is going to cut off at idle. As far as HP goes, I would like to get to around 430-475 RWHP or so but am not hung up on any numbers at all as I do not drag the car. I have no idea what my current numbers are with my current mods as I bought the car last month. I may be close to those numbers, but who knows.

I am pretty new to this stuff and was wondering what all the different options are as far as cams go. The higher the stage of the cam the more performance gains I am assuming and the more that needs to be modded in addition to the cam? Feel free to educate me! I am open to all suggestions. Also, can some Cams be installed without adding additional mods? The higher the stage the more mods I will need. That how it works? Forgive my ignorance!
ttt
Old 02-18-2018, 11:23 PM
1qwkc6z06
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

call pat g or Geoff at eps and tell them what you want and they will custom tailor you a cam...... it cost an extra 40 bucks to do that and they will get you exactly what you want. But honestly for your hp goal you are going to need a big cam and the corsa exhaust you have isn't going to be very deep sounding. If you want an off the shelf cam that will run good in your car id grab the texas speed ms3 cam on a 112 lsa and swap your corsa for a borla stype axle back.
The following users liked this post:
Naturally Vain (02-19-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:45 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Depends on whether or not you have to pass smog testing-----or where you live
IF you live in a no smog state and have a manual trans you can get away with a much larger cam in duration @.050
Just remember the more duration you have the further up the RPM table you move the TQ and HP band------The stock cam has peak TQ about 4500 RPMs and peak HP about 6000 RPM's A larger cam will move both peak TQ and HP up much further
A 230 @ .050 cam in duration will move peak TQ to about 5000 RPM and peak HP to about 6700
So it all depends on your intended use of the car-- a daily driver or a hot rod or something in between------
PS A mid 220's cam at .050 is a best all round choice for all round use--
Lift really does not matter just try to keep it under .600 or you will have to changes valve springs every year-----
LSA is also important----A stock Z06 cam has a LSA of I think 119--the lower the LSA the more the lope at idle and dirtier the cam for smog---A good mid choice would be a 114 LSA which has a broad powerband but if you want more of a lope at idle and more of a top end powerband a 112 would be ideal---
The following users liked this post:
Naturally Vain (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:19 PM
Naturally Vain
Racer

Originally Posted by tblu92
Depends on whether or not you have to pass smog testing-----or where you live
IF you live in a no smog state and have a manual trans you can get away with a much larger cam in duration @.050
Just remember the more duration you have the further up the RPM table you move the TQ and HP band------The stock cam has peak TQ about 4500 RPMs and peak HP about 6000 RPM's A larger cam will move both peak TQ and HP up much further
A 230 @ .050 cam in duration will move peak TQ to about 5000 RPM and peak HP to about 6700
So it all depends on your intended use of the car-- a daily driver or a hot rod or something in between------
PS A mid 220's cam at .050 is a best all round choice for all round use--
Lift really does not matter just try to keep it under .600 or you will have to changes valve springs every year-----
LSA is also important----A stock Z06 cam has a LSA of I think 119--the lower the LSA the more the lope at idle and dirtier the cam for smog---A good mid choice would be a 114 LSA which has a broad powerband but if you want more of a lope at idle and more of a top end powerband a 112 would be ideal---
This is awesome information and I really appreciate you going through this with me. I live in an area where emissions are not checked so I can do whatever I want. The car is not my daily. What I want I think out of it, is something that puts a decent amount of torque and horsepower that you can feel over stock and that does not ruin the sound of my Corsa Extremes in that the less choppy the sound the better. My original thought was to match or slightly exceed a C6 Z06 Hp and Torque wise.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:54 AM
NTX_Zo6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the BTR STGIV, surprisingly, my car made alot of TQ (446ftlbs), and was well on its way to 450whp before the clutch gave up around 5000 rpms. It sounds really good, and is extremely efficient. Around 4k rpms, the car starts pulling really hard, but unfortunately, until I do a clutch, I wont be able to rip it all the way to redline.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam options for my 2004 Z06? Everyone feel free to help!

Quick Reply: Cam options for my 2004 Z06? Everyone feel free to help!