C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tune to pass emissions? Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 03:26 PM
copekyle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune to pass emissions? Los Angeles

Hello All-
I've run into a problem that I can't seem to fix. I've just moved to California and am in need of a smog check. My car is only a weekend driver and I've run into a problem with the battery draining down and resetting my emission tests. Now I need to get smogged and I can't seem to get the catalyst test to run. I've done the recommended drive cycle thing once and almost been killed on the I-5 and highway 14 trying to decelerate as recommended. I don't think I can do that 4-5 more times. Are there tuners or performance shops that can help me force that test to run? I'm in Northern Los Angeles.

Thanks
Kyle
Old 02-27-2018, 12:05 AM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by copekyle
Hello All-
I've run into a problem that I can't seem to fix. I've just moved to California and am in need of a smog check. My car is only a weekend driver and I've run into a problem with the battery draining down and resetting my emission tests. Now I need to get smogged and I can't seem to get the catalyst test to run. I've done the recommended drive cycle thing once and almost been killed on the I-5 and highway 14 trying to decelerate as recommended. I don't think I can do that 4-5 more times. Are there tuners or performance shops that can help me force that test to run? I'm in Northern Los Angeles.

Thanks
Kyle
Not aware of a way to force the test on the Catalyst tests. Just have to drive it and do the cycles. Make sure your battery stays up so this does not keep happening and check that you don't have any codes that would show you have any issues. Need to do cold/warm starts as well as miles to get the Catalyst test to complete. Usually does not take long for those to get to "ready". At least that is what I have noticed. The only test I know you can force to get "ready" status is the EVAP test. Someone with a TECH2 can do that.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:20 AM
copekyle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update! Got up at 3am and did another complete "drive cycle" on the 14 this morning. Finally Catalyst shows complete! A few things I learned yesterday.

I called one of the most highly esteemed corvette shops on the west coast yesterday and asked what my options were. They told me my best bet was to replace the CATS and that a C5 with my mileage (104K) is just going to be super hard to get to pass emissions with stock equipment. I believe this is sound advice.

I then called one of the most highly recommended mail order tune places and discussed options. I was told that the emissions tests can be permanently tuned to "completed" and all sensors tuned to make the car pass OBDII emissions. They obviously can't fake out the visual check. I'm guessing this is not exactly the legal route but for reference, it can be done.

Thanks for your reply.

Get notified of new replies

To Tune to pass emissions? Los Angeles

Quick Reply: Tune to pass emissions? Los Angeles