C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tuning training materials

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 11:59 AM
BURL
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tuning training materials

Anyone have any tuning materials - books, DVD's, video, etc. related to tuning they want to sell?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2017, 11:33 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

what's your current knowledge level?
Old 01-02-2017, 12:24 PM
BURL
Pro

Default Tuning Materials

Originally Posted by aaronc7
I have zero experience with tuning EFI systems. But, I was a computer programmer/IT guy for several years. So the concept of the software and interfaces are quite familiar from pics I have seen on line. However the use and manipulation of the various EFI tables is not in my toolkit.

It appears the HP Tuners and EFI Live are just high level interfaces so that humans can easily look at and change binary files stored in the EFI computer.

So I think I have a decent grasp on the concept but zero hands on experience. I want to decide on HP Tuners or EFI Live and start at the beginner level.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2017, 07:24 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I don't have anything for sale but I can tell you some books which I found helpful.

Guy named Greg Banish has a series of books, DVDs and more. DVDs are probably the best thing, but a little rich for my blood. I did buy one of his books and think it's pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Manage...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I also like this book-- it is very DIY standalone ECU/PCM centric, but I think it has a lot of good general info in it that's easy to read/understand. I also like the tuning/dyno tips section towards the end-- it gives a great systematic tuning approach (vs a lot of theory, which is what a lot of books end up being mostly about).

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-F...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I have EFI Live but here's the cliffs from what I can tell:

HPtuners has a bigger DIY user base and their forums are more active. EFIlive said there is a lot of great information in stickies or buried away, but not very active.

EFIlive flash scan has serial wideband input (and analog.... hp tuners analog only). You can work around analog signals and the voltage offset, but it's a little more work.

Actual hardware you get with the packages... I prefer EFIlive because the Flash Scan also serves as a good scan tool/code reader. You can view multiple engine parameters on the handheld device, which is nice sometimes for a quick check on things, vs always lugging the laptop around. HPtuners pro and efilive can both do blackbox logging-- again, a nice option if you're going to do some datalogging and plan to just take the data back inside on the computer to review. You can have multiple tunes saved to the flash scan and flash as needed without laptop. EFI live does cost a bit more though, so you gotta pay for those extras.

If you read through a lot of old threads you'll see many opinions on them... I think now it's pretty safe to say they both have access to the same tables and are equally capable at the end of the day.

You can download the software for both free (and open tunes, datalogs etc.).. play around with both and see what you think. I think for someone who has never seen either, the hp tuners interface will be a little easier to catch on to. But EFI isn't bad, now that I'm used to it I have no gripes or issues.

Hope this helps.
The following 3 users liked this post by aaronc7:
BURL (01-02-2017), danh52 (01-11-2017), TurboLX (07-18-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:19 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

wish i would've jumped into tuning long ago. I finally under took the "black magic" after all my years driving these cars. Glad I did, my car was crap out here in New Mexico. Learned alot by tuning my own car and studying up.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 AM
surenow
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which book is more oriented to hptuners? And which is more efilive?

I don't have anything for sale but I can tell you some books which I found helpful.
Guy named Greg Banish has a series of books, DVDs and more. DVDs are probably the best thing, but a little rich for my blood. I did buy one of his books and think it's pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Manage...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I also like this book-- it is very DIY standalone ECU/PCM centric, but I think it has a lot of good general info in it that's easy to read/understand. I also like the tuning/dyno tips section towards the end-- it gives a great systematic tuning approach (vs a lot of theory, which is what a lot of books end up being mostly about).

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-F...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I have EFI Live but here's the cliffs from what I can tell:

HPtuners has a bigger DIY user base and their forums are more active. EFIlive said there is a lot of great information in stickies or buried away, but not very active.

EFIlive flash scan has serial wideband input (and analog.... hp tuners analog only). You can work around analog signals and the voltage offset, but it's a little more work.

Actual hardware you get with the packages... I prefer EFIlive because the Flash Scan also serves as a good scan tool/code reader. You can view multiple engine parameters on the handheld device, which is nice sometimes for a quick check on things, vs always lugging the laptop around. HPtuners pro and efilive can both do blackbox logging-- again, a nice option if you're going to do some datalogging and plan to just take the data back inside on the computer to review. You can have multiple tunes saved to the flash scan and flash as needed without laptop. EFI live does cost a bit more though, so you gotta pay for those extras.

If you read through a lot of old threads you'll see many opinions on them... I think now it's pretty safe to say they both have access to the same tables and are equally capable at the end of the day.

You can download the software for both free (and open tunes, datalogs etc.).. play around with both and see what you think. I think for someone who has never seen either, the hp tuners interface will be a little easier to catch on to. But EFI isn't bad, now that I'm used to it I have no gripes or issues.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by surenow; 07-18-2017 at 04:40 AM. Reason: So what EFi did you buy?
Old 07-18-2017, 02:14 PM
TurboLX
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by surenow
Which book is more oriented to hptuners? And which is more efilive?
Neither one is going to hold your hand and tell you exactly which button to push in one specific software. They both have a decent take on the underlying principles of how an ECU works that will help you solve problems and tune for yourself. I left the more specific applications to my live classes and DVDs, which include both HPT and EFILive in the GM-specific versions.
The following users liked this post:
galyon_j (07-19-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 04:36 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboLX
Neither one is going to hold your hand and tell you exactly which button to push in one specific software. They both have a decent take on the underlying principles of how an ECU works that will help you solve problems and tune for yourself. I left the more specific applications to my live classes and DVDs, which include both HPT and EFILive in the GM-specific versions.
I like the books by greg banish but I'd sure like a full end to end tuning example with hp tuners for us beginners

I bought a haltech s2000 and it has a really good tuning interface but I'm needing support to get a solid base tune done as I too lack hands on.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:56 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Unless you are a 'tinkerer "and are willing to experiment on your own cars this is a very overwhelming learning process--I have been tuning for 15 years and went to the EFILIVE tuning school--and even then it took me 2 years before I felt comfortable tuning other people's cars----As the years go by and GM adds new ECM's it becomes even more difficult to completely understand what changes to make without causing damage----
If you are willing to TINKER and learn on your own then perhaps your could after a few years figure out what to do---Problem is that most info you get online is NOT from experienced tuners but just wanna bees---So you will get a lot of mis information
Even if you went directly to a real tuner to learn Most of them are not interested in training anyone who is only going to tune his own cars and not tuning for a living--
Just trying to be honest from my own experience-------
Old 09-06-2017, 01:15 AM
Ed@TheVetteDoctors
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We can offer you our GM/HP Tuners 3.X based EFI Tutorial covering all topics from EFI overview, to sensors, to the computer, to operating HP Tuners VCM Suite (Editor and Scanner), filter design, tuning strategy development and implementation. This e-course has been prepared by ERM Performance Tuning and also incorporates embedded videos as well as calculators and worksheets to aid in your tuning process. In addition they offer one on one interactive training as well as custom tuning without leaving the comfort of your home/shop.

For a preview see attached and head over to www.ermperformancetuning.com and check out the sample download.

Ed M

Featuring EFI Live/HP Tuners Performance Tuning in-house or remotely and HP Tuner/EFI Live training by ERM Performance Tuning
www.ermperformancetuning.com

Last edited by Ed@TheVetteDoctors; 09-06-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:43 AM
BURL
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed@TheVetteDoctors
We can offer you our GM/HP Tuners 3.X based EFI Tutorial covering all topics from EFI overview, to sensors, to the computer, to operating HP Tuners VCM Suite (Editor and Scanner), filter design, tuning strategy development and implementation. This e-course has been prepared by ERM Performance Tuning and also incorporates embedded videos as well as calculators and worksheets to aid in your tuning process. In addition they offer one on one interactive training as well as custom tuning without leaving the comfort of your home/shop.

For a preview see attached and head over to www.ermperformancetuning.com and check out the sample download.

Ed M
What's it cost to ride this train?
Old 09-06-2017, 02:17 AM
Ed@TheVetteDoctors
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BURL
What's it cost to ride this train?
Version 1.3 is $99.95....version 2.0 is being released shortly with added modules, videos's and presentations. It will be priced at $149.95. As usual, all our training material and support comes with a 1 year free upgrade policy...:-)

Training is priced by the hour ($45) and we offer discount packages as well. For all the details see www.ermperformancetuning.com

A bit more samples.....

Ed M
Attached Images    

Last edited by Ed@TheVetteDoctors; 09-06-2017 at 02:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning training materials

Quick Reply: Tuning training materials