C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Is it even worth a tune if your stock just borla axel back?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
When I talked with Chuck, the tune price was a hell of a lot higher than $350. I have a local tune shop who charges $350. I only which that Chuck's tune was $350. I think the Chuck's tune was maybe double the 350.00 amount. Or, are you referring to the tune minus the Autocal interface device? For $350, I would jump on that like now.

I was trying not to get into a price conversation on the public forum.

Also, I agree with the idea of not having pull the computer and ship it somewhere for a tune. When you have ODB2 devices, why do all the work of pulling the computer from the car. Not to mention what happens if something happens to the computer in transit.
Exactly, and holy **** I didn't realize Chucks tune was closer to $700... makes pulling that ECU out a little more appealing. I have considered get Diablew to do the street tune for me as I already have a Diablo InTune from my previous GM truck. Diablew tuned that truck for me.. it was pretty good. He charges $159 for his custom tunes as a note. You have to buy the handheld tuner separate.

Last edited by Roddy13; 03-21-2017 at 11:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (03-13-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:49 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Roddy13
Exactly, and holy **** I didn't realize Chucks tune was closer to $700... makes pulling that ECU out a little more appealing. I have considered get Diablew to do the street tune for me as I already have an intune from my previous GM truck. Diablew tuned that truck for me.. it was pretty good. He charges $159 for his customer tunes as a note. You have to buy the handheld tuner separate.
There is little doubt that I will performance tune the car. I will not be sending the cars computer out for the tune. I don't like that idea. I talked with Chuck. I would love to use Chucks tunes. But, the cost is rich for my blood. My wife is only barely OK with me buying the car, let alone spending 750.00 on a tune.

My choice is a local Dyno shop, or a hand held chip flash tuning device. From what I see of the device prices the cost will be roughly $350.00 either way.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:15 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

No dog in this fight, but I think one significant point being missed on the CoW tune is, if I read right, subsequent re tunes are FREE...not so much from a dyno shop....
Chuck CoW (03-13-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 10:20 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by oh1vette
No dog in this fight, but I think one significant point being missed on the CoW tune is, if I read right, subsequent re tunes are FREE...not so much from a dyno shop....
point taken!
Chuck CoW (03-13-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 10:46 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

Some dyno tunes and re-tunes are not real pricy. Check these out.
http://stout-performance.com/dyno-pricing/
http://aikmanperformance.com/services.aspx
http://www.mzmperformance.com/dyno-services
Old 03-13-2017, 11:17 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default You make a good point....

Exactly, and holy **** I didn't realize Chucks tune was closer to $700... makes pulling that ECU out a little more appealing. I have considered get Diablew to do the street tune for me as I already have an intune from my previous GM truck. Diablew tuned that truck for me.. it was pretty good. He charges $159 for his customer tunes as a note. You have to buy the handheld tuner separate.
You make a good point.... and that's why I always say to have you call me.....

CHUCK CoW DOES NOT SELL TUNES FOR $700.

When you call me.... and invest some time.... You start to realize that our AutoCal device is INCLUDED.

The Low Temp stat is INCLUDED.

The shipping is INCLUDED.

The CoW BOOSTER! is INCLUDED FREE FOR C5 CUSTOMERS.

The Re-Tunes are INCLUDED FREE.

The Customer Service (Don't take that for granted cause some people can't even turn on a computer without help. ) is INCLUDED.

The BEST tune in the business is INCLUDED.

The AutoCal is able to tune 226 different vehicles with just 1 tool. It's no one time usable junk like other tuners.

The AutoCal usually costs LESS than other handheld devices and ALWAYS does much more than then can.

I only wish I saw this thread a few days before today....

There are just too many reasons to mention, but as you see me say quite frequently....

CALL ME. My information and answers are FREE!

Don't allow people on the forum to answer questions about what I sell..... CALL ME DIRECTLY.

Really simply put..... I'm not selling what the other guys are selling.

If you want to hassle with removing the pcm, pay shipping both ways, and BE WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO MOVE YOUR CAR

FOR A WEEK WHILE THE PCM IS OUT, and then

get a SO-SO starter tune so you can justify the expenditure to your wife....

The answer is..... GET A NEW WIFE.

or call me at 914-332-0049 when you want to INVEST a few moments.

Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 03-22-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
You make a good point.... and that's why I always say to have you call me.....

CHUCK CoW DOES NOT SELL TUNES FOR $700.

When you call me.... and invest some time.... You start to realize that our AutoCal device is INCLUDED.

The Low Temp stat is INCLUDED.

The shipping is INCLUDED.

The CoW BOOSTER! is INCLUDED FREE FOR C5 CUSTOMERS.

The Re-Tunes are INCLUDED FREE.

The Customer Service (Don't take that for granted cause some people can't even turn on a computer without help. ) is INCLUDED.

The BEST tune in the business is INCLUDED.

The AutoCal is able to tune 226 different vehicles with just 1 tool. It's no one time usable junk like other tuners.

The AutoCal usually costs LESS than other handheld devices and ALWAYS does much more than then can.

I only wish I saw this thread a few days before today....

There are just too many reasons to mention, but as you see me say quite frequently....

CALL ME. My information and answers are FREE!

Don't allow people on the forum to answer questions about what I sell..... CALL ME DIRECTLY.

Really simply put..... I'm not selling what the other guys are selling.

If you want to hassle with removing the pcm, pay shipping both ways, and BE WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO MOVE YOUR CAR

FOR A WEEK WHILE THE PCM IS OUT, and then

get a SO-SO starter tune so you can justify the expenditure to your wife....

The answer is..... GET A NEW WIFE.

or call me at 914-332-0049 when you want to INVEST a few moments.

Chuck CoW

I have never seen a forum sponsor push himself as hard as you do over other sponsors or people doing it themselves. You're absolutely pathetic.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:38 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Actually..... NO.

Originally Posted by Podium
I have never seen a forum sponsor push himself as hard as you do over other sponsors or people doing it themselves. You're absolutely pathetic.

Actually..... NO. It's actually some of the members that are pathetic.

It has nothing to do with pushing myself....

The point here is that you, and anyone else that has no idea what I offer, sell, or price out

has no business proclaiming what I offer or what I charge for it.

You can continue to talk about yourself and how smart you are....

And I'll continue to do what I've been doing long since before you were around....

Thanks for your opinion.
Chuck CoW
Old 03-21-2017, 11:26 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Actually..... NO. It's actually some of the members that are pathetic.

It has nothing to do with pushing myself....

The point here is that you, and anyone else that has no idea what I offer, sell, or price out

has no business proclaiming what I offer or what I charge for it.

You can continue to talk about yourself and how smart you are....

And I'll continue to do what I've been doing long since before you were around....

Thanks for your opinion.
Chuck CoW
Could you post your price instead of this marketing bit? Speaks volumes when you see a price upfront In my opinion.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:45 AM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

Could you post your price instead of this marketing bit? Speaks volumes when you see a price upfront In my opinion.
I get his marketing plan but like so many other sellers or even shops Mr COW it would help a ton if you would maybe put a base charge and then possibly a hourly rate?

I have been one the side lines wanting to do this but don't want to waste your time if the cost is too high. This is why I bought a use car instead of a new one.

Thanks for your time!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:11 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,224 Likes on 537 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Its all personal preference. I had ZERO clue about tunes. Still don't. I have no desire to learn how to do them. My plate is full enough with everything else. Just like there are many people that seek out my skills and pay me for them, same applies to tuning. I'm an accountant and work at a local CPA firm. Our prices may run higher than some of the "franchise" places, but you'll get what you pay for. Same principal here, in my opinion. You're paying for a service. Some will provide a better and more detailed service than others. Pay and buy what YOU are comfortable with.

I recently ordered a tune through Chuck CoW. Yes, I see all the posts loving AND hating him. I did some research into tunes and even reached out to Chuck directly to get his input, and that of a local shop. I decided on going with Chuck. My own choice. I haven't gotten the tune yet, so I can't praise or hate him because I haven't seen it yet. It'll take a little while before its all said and done too (between the stupid snow we still have and a few adjustments I can expect along the way. It won't be a one and done, which is what I didn't want. If I need to pay a little more for customer service after the sale, then so be it. I'm ok with that. Not everyone will be. Just like not everyone needs an accountant to prepare their taxes. So can do their own, some can't. Some would prefer less cost and get a quicker solution. Some need more attention (like me).
Chuck CoW (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:14 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Titanlex
Got an 03Z Just wondering if it's even worth getting a tune all I have is borla axle back and what kind of Gaines should I expect what do you guys recommend I do first.?
I have a CAI (Vararam) that I recently installed and will be putting a Corsa Xtreme catback on soon. I opted to get a tune (on its way to me and haven't installed it yet). After it's all said and done, I'll post back with an update. It probably won't be raw numbers as I don't plan on doing too many dyno's.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:40 AM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BAT
Its all personal preference. I had ZERO clue about tunes. Still don't. I have no desire to learn how to do them. My plate is full enough with everything else. Just like there are many people that seek out my skills and pay me for them, same applies to tuning. I'm an accountant and work at a local CPA firm. Our prices may run higher than some of the "franchise" places, but you'll get what you pay for. Same principal here, in my opinion. You're paying for a service. Some will provide a better and more detailed service than others. Pay and buy what YOU are comfortable with.

I recently ordered a tune through Chuck CoW. Yes, I see all the posts loving AND hating him. I did some research into tunes and even reached out to Chuck directly to get his input, and that of a local shop. I decided on going with Chuck. My own choice. I haven't gotten the tune yet, so I can't praise or hate him because I haven't seen it yet. It'll take a little while before its all said and done too (between the stupid snow we still have and a few adjustments I can expect along the way. It won't be a one and done, which is what I didn't want. If I need to pay a little more for customer service after the sale, then so be it. I'm ok with that. Not everyone will be. Just like not everyone needs an accountant to prepare their taxes. So can do their own, some can't. Some would prefer less cost and get a quicker solution. Some need more attention (like me).
How much are you paying or are you sworn to secrecy?
Old 03-22-2017, 12:35 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

How much are you paying or are you sworn to secrecy?
Not sworn to secrecy, but what's the harm in contacting him directly for a price/quote? Not all cars and people are looking for the same tune, so for one person to post what they paid, may not be what the next person wants or needs.

I can honestly say what I paid wasn't much more than a local speed shop advertises for their tunes, but they don't include the retunes and adjustments, or the autocal.

Last edited by BAT; 03-22-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:04 AM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BAT
Not sworn to secrecy, but what's the harm in contacting him directly for a price/quote? Not all cars and people are looking for the same tune, so for one person to post what they paid, may not be what the next person wants or needs.

I can honestly say what I paid wasn't much more than a local speed shop advertises for their tunes, but they don't include the retunes and adjustments, or the autocal.
you posted the price that you paid earlier and now it's edited out? Any reason why?
Old 03-23-2017, 02:23 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

He paid 650. 650 is what he paid. Yep, definitely was 650.

Not all cars looking for the same tune? Lol. What ever you need to tell yourself to justify what you spent. It's either tuned right or its not.

Places like ECS that offer mail order tuning know what they are doing. They have tuned a **** ton of cars and knows what works and what doesnt. Tuning isn't rocket science like some sponsors want you to believe.
The following 2 users liked this post by Podium:
DOUG @ ECS (03-23-2017), Roddy13 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 06:55 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

you posted the price that you paid earlier and now it's edited out? Any reason why?
Originally Posted by Podium
He paid 650. 650 is what he paid. Yep, definitely was 650.

Not all cars looking for the same tune? Lol. What ever you need to tell yourself to justify what you spent. It's either tuned right or its not.

Places like ECS that offer mail order tuning know what they are doing. They have tuned a **** ton of cars and knows what works and what doesnt. Tuning isn't rocket science like some sponsors want you to believe.
Not sure what hair you guys have across your asses, but don't drag me into your pissing match with any problem you might have with anyone else. Pay what YOU want, tune how YOU want it done. It doesn't matter to me what you do, your car, your preference. I'm not knocking one place over another. I made my choice for what I felt was best for me. I'm not promoting on over the other. I tried to answer the OP's question, nothing more. He can do whatever he wants.

What does it matter what I paid, or what any else paid? Does it matter what I paid for my car? Should I or anyone else tell you that you overpaid for your car and you can tell yourself whatever you need to say to justify it? Didn't think so. Carry on with whatever you think you'll accomplish with your pissing match and how what you dictate the cost should be, and performed by who, should be the say all and end all.

Last edited by BAT; 03-23-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it even worth a tune if your stock just borla axel back?

Old 03-23-2017, 10:10 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

ECS tune $159

Certainly not going to get into the other mess of this thread, but I just wanted you to know that our mail in tunes are $149 with return shipping in the cont US. Out of the US we just charge the difference. If a retune is needed, headers added etc, we never charge more than $99 with return shipping.

To answer the original question here, a bone stock car with our tune is actually the highest dollar per HP/ET item we offer. manuals are hard to put an ET on given the variables, but an auto will pick up 2-3 tenths in the quarter consistently. For the non racers here, that's roughly 2-3 car lengths in a 1/4 mile. Find any other mod out there that picks up a tenth in the 1/4 for $50 besides weight reduction.

So where our tunes derive from is a tuning library that is possibly one of the largest in the country, keep in mind we have been around longer than some of the self proclaimed best tuners out there. You are basically getting my last dyno tune of your operating system and exact mods. Same way the dealer puts in tune files, they do not dyno tune one by one. It also why we will only do these tunes with certain mods and others are considered start up tune files. IE, cam changes etc.

Hope that helps!
The following 2 users liked this post by DOUG @ ECS:
BAT (03-23-2017), Roddy13 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 01:16 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Well put..... Thank you.

Originally Posted by BAT
Not sure what hair you guys have across your asses, but don't drag me into your pissing match with any problem you might have with anyone else. Pay what YOU want, tune how YOU want it done. It doesn't matter to me what you do, your car, your preference. I'm not knocking one place over another. I made my choice for what I felt was best for me. I'm not promoting on over the other. I tried to answer the OP's question, nothing more. He can do whatever he wants.

What does it matter what I paid, or what any else paid? Does it matter what I paid for my car? Should I or anyone else tell you that you overpaid for your car and you can tell yourself whatever you need to say to justify it? Didn't think so. Carry on with whatever you think you'll accomplish with your pissing match and how what you dictate the cost should be, and performed by who, should be the say all and end all.

Well put..... Thank you. We offer a military discount and some qualify and others don't.

Some guys have a low temp stat..... others don't. some guys are futher away and incurr more shipping....

others don't..... Auto vs. stick... etc.

People who are genuinely interested....WILL CALL TO DISCUSS IT. If you make price requests in forum posts,

you get ignored..... Again, People who are genuinely interested will call.

If you call and ask me 300 questions across 45 mins..... You don't have the money and/or you are soooooo

afraid an concerned that the multitude of unnecessary questions ultimately leads up to the fact that YOU DO NOT BUY.

It's pretty funny the # of different categories callers fit into..... Mostly, I prefer the "I read alot - I got NO QUESTIONS -

Here's my Credit Card info!
" I'm sure Doug gets the same people.

Not everyone will be my customers..... Only the ones that smile EVERY time they drive their cars.

Chuck CoW
Old 03-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BAT
Not sure what hair you guys have across your asses, but don't drag me into your pissing match with any problem you might have with anyone else. .

What does it matter what I paid, or what any else paid? Does it matter what I paid for my car? Should I or anyone else tell you that you overpaid for your car and you can tell yourself whatever you need to say to justify it? .
I just wanted to know the price you paid ...

Quick Reply: Is it even worth a tune if your stock just borla axel back?