C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Car starts and stalls and cant restore

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 05:37 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Car starts and stalls after a Diablo Tune

Hi all,

I purchased a 1999 corvette a few months ago, it came with a Intune i2 tuner, the car only has a ONLY a K&N CAI as a mod, everything else is stock.

I tried the diablo 93 octane and the car would start and stall, I went back and did the 91 octane and same issue.

I tried to restore the stock tune and she still starts and stalls.

I get all sorts of weird messages, low fuel, low engine power, low voltage, the car was running fine yesterday.

any help to get me back up and running

TIA

Last edited by pjdbm; 04-20-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:26 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by pjdbm
Hi all,

I purchased a 1999 corvette a few months ago, it came with a Intune i2 tuner, the car only has a ONLY a K&N CAI as a mod, everything else is stock.

I tried the diablo 93 octane and the car would start and stall, I went back and did the 91 octane and same issue.

I tried to restore the stock tune and she still starts and stalls.

I get all sorts of weird messages, low fuel, low engine power, low voltage, the car was running fine yesterday.

any help to get me back up and running

TIA
I'm guessing the bold above is where your issues are. If the car does not have enough voltage it is not going to want to run. Also, make sure when you are uploading tunes that you have good voltage. Not having a full battery when uploading can cause issues. Get that battery charged or get a new battery and then upload your stock tune back to it. If that goes well, then try the 91/93 octane tunes.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:11 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Thanks Redrider, I will try this.
I have a good car charger, should I re do this with this charger running or will that interfere with the tune upload?
Old 04-15-2017, 09:40 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by pjdbm
Thanks Redrider, I will try this.
I have a good car charger, should I re do this with this charger running or will that interfere with the tune upload?
I would not do it with the charger installed. You want that battery charged to 12.6 - 12.8.

Last edited by RedRiderZR1; 04-15-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:39 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

The battery was at 12.2, direct reading from batter with cables off.

Its been on the charger now for an hour and doing well, almost done.

I also ordered a battery tender for this, I thought my 1984 Continental was picky about battery voltage lol

I think tomorrow I will call intune tech support and make sure I get out of this jam without any further issue.

Last edited by pjdbm; 04-17-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:28 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

just a follow up

The charge on the 2 year old battery was not good enough, after the restore tune, it dropped back down to 12.2 volts. I went out and purchased an Optima battery red top, installed it and the car started up and ran, only thing I noticed was that the temp went past 190, for the few months I have this car, I never noticed it going past 190.

I decided to try to do the Diablo 91 octane tune, when finished, it would start & stall like before.

I left the negative cable off for the night, will try to start it up again tomorrow, if this does not work, I will stick with the stock tune and be done with this nonsense.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:52 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

I got it all squared away, I had two issues going on here, the first and this is important for anyone with an Diablo i2 tuner and tuning a 1999 Corvette.

After you load the tune you want and it is completely finished, turn key to off, unplug the tuner and remove the negative battery cable for 15 minutes.

If you do not do this, you might get a start & stall or no start at all.

My second issues was a two year old battery with a bad cell, the battery wasn't able to keep proper voltage for the time the tune took to finish.

I purchased a Optima red top and a battery tender.

Took the car out and the 91 Octane Diablo tune is awesome, my temp is back at 190 and the car is very responsive.

I am very pleased, thank you for the help here!

Get notified of new replies

To Car starts and stalls and cant restore

Quick Reply: Car starts and stalls and cant restore