C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Engine Swap - How to swap over tune from donor car??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 07:36 PM
C5_Scott
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Swap - How to swap over tune from donor car??

Please help me figure out this situation. I'm lost when it comes to the electronics side of things.

I'm swapping an ls2 from a 2005 GTO into my 2000 C5 corvette. The ls2 has already been dyno tuned while in the gto and I'd like to transfer whatever files/tables/data FROM the gto TO the c5. The gto engine has intake, ported heads, cam, headers, etc, so I'd like to swap the tune along with the engine. Both cars are manual transmission.

Is there an easy way to do this? I own a diablo trinity t1000, if that helps.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:33 PM
C5_Scott
Intermediate

No ideas so far?? Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I feel like there should be a REALLY simple solution. Is there a module or software that will simply copy the files from the GTO ecm and then write them to the C5 ecm? Will the diablo trinity be able to do this?
Old 05-11-2017, 09:42 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts

You should contact Diablo directly or even post it on their forum,

https://forum.diablosport.com/viewforum.php?f=62
Old 05-13-2017, 01:52 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

The GTO uses a different pcm as well as a completely different operating system.
So you can't simply write the GTO tune into your Corvette.

The Trinity is married to your Corvette. I'm sure Diablo won't do the function you desire. It's really for user adjustments of a few parameters.
Unless you happen to know someone with CMR tuning software. Still can't write the GTO tune into your Corvette though.

What can be done though is read both files Using hptuners. The two files can be compared and the pertinent data can be transferred to the Corvette pcm. The tables are similar. When done, the car should run, but will still need to be Street and dyno tuned to be correct.

Lastly, LS2 has the knock sensors on the sides of the block instead of under the valley cover like the LS1/6. And the knock sensors are different, so you will have to use the LS1 sensors with harness extensions. Even then the sensitivity is different. Not sure anyone has come up with good tune changes that make them work correctly.

Ron

Last edited by RonSSNova; 05-13-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:46 AM
C5_Scott
Intermediate

Thanks, Ron! I guess things aren't going to be as easy as I anticipated. I basically just wanted to duplicate the tables from the gto so I can avoid doing any damage due to running the stock ls1 tune until I can get dyno tuned. I don't even want to drive the car 2 hours to the dyno guy without having some sort of base tune on there. Maybe I'll consider a tune from chuck CoW. If I'm not looking for max power and am more concerned with smooth idle, throttle response, and general daily driveability, do you think I can get that in a mail order tune from chuck? Or does all that fine tuning stuff pretty much need to be done on a dyno?

Thanks also for the knock sensor info. I knew about the relocation but didn't know they had different sensitivities. Hope that doesn't present issues in the future.

Last question: if I buy hp tuners software, do you think I'll be able to download a base tune that will allow me to drive the car safely for a few months while I actually learn how to use the software and make my own edits? (ls2 engine, fast 102, high flow injectors, cnc ported heads, 226/233 116lsa cam, 1-3/4" LT headers). I have a willingness to learn, but realize it's going to be a slow process.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (05-16-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 11:40 PM
C5_Scott
Intermediate

Well, I've been doing some reading and I think I'll contact Chuck and see what he says. I almost feel like I'm joining a cult with how people rave about him, but I'm interested to see if he lives up to all the hype.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:07 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

You're welcome.

HPT is quite a learning curve.
Since it has larger injectors, prob wouldn't run very well if you just started it up with the orig LS1 tune.

If you lived near me, I'd be happy to help.

Good luck! Sounds like it will be a fun ride when done.

Ron

Last edited by RonSSNova; 05-15-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:10 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Hey Scott.....

Originally Posted by C5_Scott
Thanks, Ron! I guess things aren't going to be as easy as I anticipated. I basically just wanted to duplicate the tables from the gto so I can avoid doing any damage due to running the stock ls1 tune until I can get dyno tuned. I don't even want to drive the car 2 hours to the dyno guy without having some sort of base tune on there. Maybe I'll consider a tune from chuck CoW. If I'm not looking for max power and am more concerned with smooth idle, throttle response, and general daily driveability, do you think I can get that in a mail order tune from chuck? Or does all that fine tuning stuff pretty much need to be done on a dyno?

Thanks also for the knock sensor info. I knew about the relocation but didn't know they had different sensitivities. Hope that doesn't present issues in the future.

Last question: if I buy hp tuners software, do you think I'll be able to download a base tune that will allow me to drive the car safely for a few months while I actually learn how to use the software and make my own edits? (ls2 engine, fast 102, high flow injectors, cnc ported heads, 226/233 116lsa cam, 1-3/4" LT headers). I have a willingness to learn, but realize it's going to be a slow process.

Hey Scott..... Lots of things going on here. While there are some tuners that would tell you to run an LS2 with the stock LS1 pcm

I think it's a stupid idea. Lots of people do it this way, but to make this easy for you and the tuner, you should

ABSOLUTELY USE THE HARNESS, PCM, INJECTORS, SENSORS, etc from the LS2 CAR the engine came from.

Too much to get into here, but it's a really bad idea to use the LS1 pcm for the LS2 motor.

If you want the best performance possible, we can do it easily with my AutoCal and wideband setup or if you want to

do some of the tuning yourself then I'll get you an efi live V2 cable and wideband.

Either way, I'll get you going right with little trouble whereas going the LS1 pcm and such way will make trouble and

NOT be the best answer for power.

Give me a ring any time.
914-332-0049
Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 05-16-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:18 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Changing the harness in a C5 is a piece of cake!
Go for it!

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Swap - How to swap over tune from donor car??

Quick Reply: Engine Swap - How to swap over tune from donor car??