C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Mail order tune vs street tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:05 AM
04zjimc
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Mail order tune vs street tune?

I have a 04z LT headers and cai and a mail order tune. Honestly don't feel much difference with the tune. For the people that say with just these bolt on you don't need a dyno tune? Mail order tunes dont add timming as with handheld. So other than the fans,skip shift,and other basic things. a street tune they can add timming which would make the car faster...from what I read hear...the stock timing is 21 degrees and never changes?
Old 05-27-2017, 10:22 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

It's been my experience that tuning a stock car, even with minor bolt ons like headers and
CAI is a waste of money, other than skip shift or other peripheral benefits that you can do via other means.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:51 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
It's been my experience that tuning a stock car, even with minor bolt ons like headers and
CAI is a waste of money, other than skip shift or other peripheral benefits that you can do via other means.

If you break down dollar per HP/ET gain, our mail order tunes are the most bang for buck item we offer. We have proven many times over that we typically see 2-3 tenths off a 1/4 mile ET, that's right around $50 a tenth, you will not match that with any other mod in my experience.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

no two cars are the same, mail order tunes are worthless unless your data logging and sending the files to be looked over and adjusted then sent back other wise its just the tuner guessing what your car wants, with a dyno tune the tuner looks at every thing and tunes from there and can even tell you if you have a problem you dont know about (happened to me bad injector) the whole idea of a tune is to make power your not going to get the most power from a mail order

Doug i mean no disrespect i only hear good things about your shop, i'm just a greedy bastard and want all i can get out of a tune
Old 06-06-2017, 03:39 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker87
no two cars are the same, mail order tunes are worthless unless your data logging and sending the files to be looked over and adjusted then sent back other wise its just the tuner guessing what your car wants, with a dyno tune the tuner looks at every thing and tunes from there and can even tell you if you have a problem you dont know about (happened to me bad injector) the whole idea of a tune is to make power your not going to get the most power from a mail order

Doug i mean no disrespect i only hear good things about your shop, i'm just a greedy bastard and want all i can get out of a tune

I fully agree that a tune in person is always the best, assuming you have a good tuner in your area. My mail order tunes have replaced many dyno tunes over the years.

That said, you are getting my last dyno tune of your mods and operating system. Let's say it's down 10% from an in person tune, all the other items like fans and skip shift, codes etc are handled and if you were to gain 15 HP from a dyno tune then your loss from a mail order tune is 1.5 HP. Not something anyone would ever feel.

Get notified of new replies

To Mail order tune vs street tune?

Quick Reply: Mail order tune vs street tune?