C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Info on "Low Octane Table"

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 09:06 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Info on "Low Octane Table"

See signature for details on my C5. A few weeks ago my car started running very poorly at the track. It was a stinking hot FL day but it was running much worse than ever before under similar conditions.

Took it to my tuner who put it on the dyno and could find no mechanical problems...no misfire, making normal boost, etc. but he did note the AFR was on the lean side. I have run this car for many years with the original tune from Lingenfelter without issues. He saw some detonation and the ECM pulling timing. He did richen the AFR.

He went on to tell me he determined the ECM had seen so much detonation that it had switched over to the "Low Octane Table" with even less timing. He instructed me to put in some 100 octane race gas and that it would take some time for the car to "relearn" and switch back to the normal table. He said he could not reset the table manually. I was always of the belief my setup was OK on 93 octane pump gas even in the FL heat. My tuner told me it was possible I had gotten some bad gas that was not really 93 octane.

While relieved there was no major problem with my car, I am a bit puzzled by all this information. My tuner has a stellar reputation and has done great work on my C5 and C6 and I trust him completely but I would appreciate any insight on the situation from the Forum gurus.

'98 Torch Red A4 Coupe
Lingenfelter Magnuson 112 S/C Package
Lingenfelter GT2-3 Cam and Springs
Breathless Performance LT Headers, Bassani X-Pipe, Borla Stingers, DMH Electric Cutouts
Yank TC 3200 Stall, Rossler Transmission
RPM 3.73 Differential, LPE HD Output Shafts
436 RWHP, 404 RWTQ, Best 1/4: 11.58 @ 121
Old 09-08-2017, 01:25 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like the knock learn factor was effected which blends the low and high octane maps... 0 = 100% low map and 1.00 = 100% high map. I got stuck at 0.45 once after tuning SD... it took months to recover. Prob cause its mainly a track car and didn't see appropriate conditions. I just matched low to high maps, but I was NOT getting any detonation.

You need to find out why your KLF decreased and make sure there's no knock (or false knock). I think your tuner should have run the high map on the dyno before adjusting AFR, as timing effects it. If everything checks out ECU needs to relearn or you can match tables in the mean time... learning is better and safer though, but can take awhile.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:51 PM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joshboody
Sounds like the knock learn factor was effected which blends the low and high octane maps... 0 = 100% low map and 1.00 = 100% high map. I got stuck at 0.45 once after tuning SD... it took months to recover. Prob cause its mainly a track car and didn't see appropriate conditions. I just matched low to high maps, but I was NOT getting any detonation.

You need to find out why your KLF decreased and make sure there's no knock (or false knock). I think your tuner should have run the high map on the dyno before adjusting AFR, as timing effects it. If everything checks out ECU needs to relearn or you can match tables in the mean time... learning is better and safer though, but can take awhile.
Thanks for the information. This is a track only trailered car. Will it relearn in street driving or only on WOT drag runs?

BIGMAC
Old 09-08-2017, 02:26 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
Thanks for the information. This is a track only trailered car. Will it relearn in street driving or only on WOT drag runs?

BIGMAC
It should learn at WOT, but like I said took mine a long time. Went from 0 to 0.45 quickly, but took forever to get back to 1.00. Mines for HPDE and I do drive it on the street sometimes... took about 3mo.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:11 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

is that specific to a 98? is there no knock retard limit, recovery table etc.?
Old 09-23-2017, 08:42 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Originally Posted by romandian
is that specific to a 98? is there no knock retard limit, recovery table etc.?
I have no idea. I am only repeating what my tuner told me. I do believe that 97 and 98 model years have a more basic PCM than 99 and later.

BIGMAC
Old 09-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

How would I know what blend of the maps its running?

I get some knock retard (I believe is false) when on the track (HPDE) but haven't wanted to tweak the tune (SD). While the car feels the same, it doesn't seem to break the tires loose like it used to.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2018, 08:01 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

I know the following is an old thread but I took the car to the season opener at Orlando Speed World and the car is still running like crap. I guess the car is a "slow learner" when it comes to going back to the high octane map. Is there any way to "force" the car to use the high octane map or to "speed up" the learning process? It seems the only fix is to copy the high octane settings to the low octane map so the PCM does not know the difference but this removes the safety margin designed in the system.

BIGMAC

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
See signature for details on my C5. A few weeks ago my car started running very poorly at the track. It was a stinking hot FL day but it was running much worse than ever before under similar conditions.

Took it to my tuner who put it on the dyno and could find no mechanical problems...no misfire, making normal boost, etc. but he did note the AFR was on the lean side. I have run this car for many years with the original tune from Lingenfelter without issues. He saw some detonation and the ECM pulling timing. He did richen the AFR.

He went on to tell me he determined the ECM had seen so much detonation that it had switched over to the "Low Octane Table" with even less timing. He instructed me to put in some 100 octane race gas and that it would take some time for the car to "relearn" and switch back to the normal table. He said he could not reset the table manually. I was always of the belief my setup was OK on 93 octane pump gas even in the FL heat. My tuner told me it was possible I had gotten some bad gas that was not really 93 octane.

While relieved there was no major problem with my car, I am a bit puzzled by all this information. My tuner has a stellar reputation and has done great work on my C5 and C6 and I trust him completely but I would appreciate any insight on the situation from the Forum gurus.

'98 Torch Red A4 Coupe
Lingenfelter Magnuson 112 S/C Package
Lingenfelter GT2-3 Cam and Springs
Breathless Performance LT Headers, Bassani X-Pipe, Borla Stingers, DMH Electric Cutouts
Yank TC 3200 Stall, Rossler Transmission
RPM 3.73 Differential, LPE HD Output Shafts
436 RWHP, 404 RWTQ, Best 1/4: 11.58 @ 121
Old 02-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

To my knowledge, no. I did some SD tuning recently after cam install and AGAIN I’m stuck at 0 KLF putting me in the low. So I keep my tables matched. It’ll come back, but takes forever... prob since it’s not my DD.

I think ok to match tables, especially if you bumped up KR decay. Such a bad tank resulting in low KLF is prob very noticeable, so you wouldn’t go WOT.

I’m very curious what the tuners do after mapping SD for a customer. Maybe there is a trick. But if customer is stuck at low map for awhile, they would not be happy.

Get notified of new replies

To Info on "Low Octane Table"

Quick Reply: Info on "Low Octane Table"