C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tuners, Please Step In. Question on my C6101/Predicted Airflow Table

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 07:32 PM
It'sOver9000!!
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Tuners, Please Step In. Question on my C6101/Predicted Airflow Table

Small question, related to a post I have going on in the General section (car goes into limp mode at WOT) but this question would be better answered here...

Do these predicted airflow values look right for a 1998 M6 C5 with the following mods (screenshot of table attached):

- LT Headers
- Callaway Honker CAI
- PRC Stage 2.5 Heads
- Cam
- LS6 Intake

This is from the initial tune I when I got my car back the first time. Car kept hitting limp mode at WOT, but the shop insists (even now) that it isn't a tune related issue.
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2017, 06:41 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

im pretty sure they are stock settings. why dont you just max them out?
Old 10-05-2017, 03:24 PM
It'sOver9000!!
Instructor

Originally Posted by romandian
im pretty sure they are stock settings. why dont you just max them out?
Thanks for the response! When I took the car back to the shop for diagnostics, they claimed they couldn't repeat my issue (REP at WOT) but also insisted it couldn't be the tune. They double checked the grounds, throttle, wiring, etc before giving the car back to me.

Luckily I had saved a copy of the tune prior to giving the car back for diagnostics, and saved another copy when I got the car back. When I compared the two, I saw that they did go in and update the predicted airflow tables and maxed the values out but they never mentioned this to me. The table in the image I posted was from when I first received the car back from the shop and had issues with REP at WOT.

When I asked about this, the response was that tuner went in and made the changes in an effort to prevent the issue from happening in the future, but they didn't tell me about it since the tune update "was not the definitive fix to this unknown issue".

Seems like it was the fix to me, but what do I know? That's why I posted the Predicted Airflow Table from my initial tune and asked if they seemed right for a car with the mods I have. Just wanted to verify for myself that this was indeed the issue.

Last edited by It'sOver9000!!; 10-05-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Ed@TheVetteDoctors
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Instead of maxing them out and disabling your "run away throttle" protection, why not tune them.

Set up a MAP with the same axis and log dynamic grams/cylinder (will need to do a little math to get it to the milligrams), add about 10-15% buffer and paste to the table. Extrapolate any area's you may have missed. You will have to max the table for the tuning sessions so you don't go into REP.

I'm not a big fan of disabling protection/Torque Management unless it is your last resort....

Ed M

Featuring EFI Live/HP Tuners Performance Tuning in-house or remotely and HP Tuner/EFI Live training by ERM Performance Tuning
www.ermperformancetuning.com

Last edited by Ed@TheVetteDoctors; 10-09-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:38 PM
It'sOver9000!!
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed@TheVetteDoctors
Instead of maxing them out and disabling your "run away throttle" protection, why not tune them.

Set up a MAP with the same axis and log dynamic grams/cylinder (will need to do a little math to get it to the milligrams), add about 10-15% buffer and paste to the table. Extrapolate any area's you may have missed. You will have to max the table for the tuning sessions so you don't go into REP.

I'm not a big fan of disabling protection/Torque Management unless it is your last resort....

Ed M
Thanks for the response.

That might be something to look into, but easier said than done for me unfortunately as I'm not a tuner and don't have the set-up to read/change the tune on my own. A buddy of mine is learning to tune his own vehicle through EFI Live so I asked for his assistance on the issue to check my calibration before/after it went to the shop for diagnostics (because I got a bad vibe when they absolutely insisted that this couldn't be a tune issue... and they still think it's not).

I was concerned about how they eventually just quietly maxed the values out as well but figured that since it's a reputable shop, they know what they're doing and just didn't want to admit a mistake. And it seems to be running fine now. ...for now at least...

But it does make me wonder if I need to have my tune double-checked by another shop or something.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:01 PM
Ed@TheVetteDoctors
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by It'sOver9000!!
Thanks for the response.

That might be something to look into, but easier said than done for me unfortunately as I'm not a tuner and don't have the set-up to read/change the tune on my own. A buddy of mine is learning to tune his own vehicle through EFI Live so I asked for his assistance on the issue to check my calibration before/after it went to the shop for diagnostics (because I got a bad vibe when they absolutely insisted that this couldn't be a tune issue... and they still think it's not).

I was concerned about how they eventually just quietly maxed the values out as well but figured that since it's a reputable shop, they know what they're doing and just didn't want to admit a mistake. And it seems to be running fine now. ...for now at least...

But it does make me wonder if I need to have my tune double-checked by another shop or something.
Your welcome...if you or your buddy are looking for tuning training, we might be able to help. We perform one on one interactive training on both HP Tuners and EFI Live setups.

I could give the tune a quick look over if you could post or send me the tune (c5edstoy@aol.com) and complete the attached Build questionnaire.....

Ed M

Last edited by Ed@TheVetteDoctors; 10-09-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuners, Please Step In. Question on my C6101/Predicted Airflow Table

Quick Reply: Tuners, Please Step In. Question on my C6101/Predicted Airflow Table