C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

New to tunes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:03 PM
C5 Newb
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New to tunes...

I had a question about getting your car tuned.

Is this procedure just for you guys who have modifications done to the engine or would it do anything to a stock LS1?

I was thinking a stock LS1 would be pretty much tuned right from the factory but was curious.

What could you expect from a tune on a stock LS1?
Old 10-05-2017, 07:28 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,313 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Newb

Is this procedure just for you guys who have modifications done to the engine or would it do anything to a stock LS1?

I was thinking a stock LS1 would be pretty much tuned right from the factory but was curious.

A custom tune will benefit almost any car. Typically, a Corvette will probably gain 10 to 15 HP/TQ, 1 -2 better MPG (if you keep your foot out of it), and better drivability. Automatic cars can benefit from a tune by getting the trans to shift faster and firmer. A custom tune can be tailored to the octane level and quality of gas you put in your car.

Most cars from the factory have a broad, coarse tune. A custom tune is just that, custom for your specific car, your mods, your altitude and climate, and quality of gas you put in.

And anytime you ad a mod such as headers, intake, exhaust, etc. a custom tune can be adjusted to take advantage of the increased airflow, performance, etc.

Last edited by Spaceme1117; 10-05-2017 at 07:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RDP Store (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 10:03 AM
RDP Store
Supporting Vendor

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Newb

A true custom tune (not canned tunes in programmers) is the best first modification you can do to a stock vehicle, it is the "A" in the ABC modifications. You will pick up about that 15 rwhp and some mpg as stated above, but the big difference is the drivability of the car from throttle response, to torque managment to the transmission shifts in auto cars. Your car is a perfect canidate for the SCT x4 and if you do later mods down the road we can update the custom tune for you for free. Please PM us if you have any further questions.

Thank You
Victor @ RDP Store
Old 10-08-2017, 10:43 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

If your car has an auto trans Trans tuning alone can make any car "quicker" without any engine mods or engine tuning----Crisper shift times--deleting TQ management- deleting Abuse Management --deleteing TQ control--deleting throttle limiters all make your car faster----even if bone stock
On the engine side of tuning---deleting the throttle "delay" desensitizing the TQ management - deleting the CAT protection system eliminating false IAT and ECT timing deducts all help again even a stockish car
RDP Store (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 04:57 AM
RDP Store
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by tblu92
If your car has an auto trans Trans tuning alone can make any car "quicker" without any engine mods or engine tuning----Crisper shift times--deleting TQ management- deleting Abuse Management --deleteing TQ control--deleting throttle limiters all make your car faster----even if bone stock
On the engine side of tuning---deleting the throttle "delay" desensitizing the TQ management - deleting the CAT protection system eliminating false IAT and ECT timing deducts all help again even a stockish car
Yes sir doing that will certainly improve the car greatly
Old 10-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Staylor63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Also new to Tuning...

Originally Posted by RDP Store
Yes sir doing that will certainly improve the car greatly
So as someone who came from the 1968 era, and just picked up a 99, how does the tuning process work?

Steve
RDP Store (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 01:30 PM
RDP Store
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Staylor63
So as someone who came from the 1968 era, and just picked up a 99, how does the tuning process work?

Steve
Hey Sir

Its super simple you get a sct hand held programmer from me and you plug it into your obd2 tuning port under the dash and then upload the stock tune file with the device, you then email it to me with your lost of mods and fuel octane and then i write a custom tune fo you and then email you back and then you flash it into your car, i also offer phone tech support if you need a helping hand through the process sir
Staylor63 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 01:37 PM
Staylor63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Other cars

Hey Sir

Its super simple you get a sct hand held programmer from me and you plug it into your obd2 tuning port under the dash and then upload the stock tune file with the device, you then email it to me with your lost of mods and fuel octane and then i write a custom tune fo you and then email you back and then you flash it into your car, i also offer phone tech support if you need a helping hand through the process sir
Just curious, if I sell the car, does that stay with the car or me? Or do i have to get another tune pkg. ....if say I picked up a 2007 next year.

Steve
RDP Store (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 01:38 PM
RDP Store
Supporting Vendor

Just curious, if I sell the car, does that stay with the car or me? Or do i have to get another tune pkg. ....if say I picked up a 2007 next year.

Steve
no you just restore the car to the stock tune and then use the unit on your next vehicle
Staylor63 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,313 Likes on 885 Posts

Steve
If it is a remote tune, typically you receive a handheld device that connects to the OBDII port under the dash below the steering wheel and upload a base tune into the PCM. Then you drive the car for a hundred miles allowing the tune to settle in as the PCM has a limited ability to self adjust. You then use the handheld device to take a driving log which will record engine parameters such as fuel trims, intake temp, RPM, timing, etc. The log file from the handheld device is then e-mailed to the remote tuner who then dials in the tune based on that log for your particular car. The remote tuner then e-mails you back an adjusted tune file which you load onto the handheld device and then install the tune into your car. You then repeat the driving and logging process until the remote tuner says that the tune is good.

A dyno tune is where you put the car on a dynomometer to pretty much do the same thing. But a dyno tune can usually refine the tune for your car to a finer degree. And the dyno can tell you exactly the power your car is making before and then after the tune.

A good remote tune however can get you very close to a dyno tune.

I have had both done and either way you go is going to be an improvement to your car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spaceme1117:
RDP Store (10-09-2017), Staylor63 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 01:42 PM
RDP Store
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
If it is a remote tune, typically you receive a handheld device that connects to the OBDII port under the dash below the steering wheel and upload a base tune into the PCM. Then you drive the car for a hundred miles allowing the tune to settle in as the PCM has a limited ability to self adjust. You then use the handheld device to take a driving log which will record engine parameters such as fuel trims, intake temp, RPM, timing, etc. The log file from the handheld device is then e-mailed to the remote tuner who then dials in the tune based on that log for your particular car. The remote tuner then e-mails you back an adjusted tune file which you load onto the handheld device and then install the tune into your car. You then repeat the driving and logging process until the remote tuner says that the tune is good.

A dyno tune is where you put the car on a dynomometer to pretty much do the same thing. But a dyno tune can usually refine the tune for your car to a finer degree. And the dyno can tell you exactly the power your car is making before and then after the tune.

A good remote tune however can get you very close to a dyno tune.

I have had both done and either way you go is going to be an improvement to your car.
Very True sir and great reply
Old 10-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Staylor63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ahhh, the improvements from the 60's....I think i am going to like this car!!
RDP Store (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 01:46 PM
RDP Store
Supporting Vendor

Ahhh, the improvements from the 60's....I think i am going to like this car!!
big upgrade
Old 10-09-2017, 08:18 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Steve
Hand held tuners and even full blown tuners can be re used on another car IF you return your current car back to stock . As tuning software will retain the tuned car's VIN number in the tuning device---When you put it back to the STOCK tune the stored VIN # will be erased making it usable again on another car
HOWEVER Most all tuners are broken up in "engine family" uses
Those engine family uses are :
97-98 LS1A
99-08 LS1B
09-13 E38
14 to current E92
As long as you use that tuner in the SAME engine family it can be re-used again -- But cannot be used for tuning outside the engine family years---( as the newer models came out the ECM's have become extremrely different)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Staylor63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

You guys are awesome... thanks for the info!
Steve
RDP Store (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 04:38 AM
RDP Store
Supporting Vendor

You guys are awesome... thanks for the info!
Steve
your most welcome kind sir
Old 10-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Lexybird
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Get a real tune ..Don't waste your money on a hand held tuner . Been there done that with the latest diablo intune and felt zero gains.

Last edited by Lexybird; 10-10-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New to tunes...

Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 PM
RDP Store
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Lexybird
Get a real tune ..Don't waste your money on a hand held tuner . Been there done that with the latest diablo intune and felt zero gains.
if your talking about a cann tune that comes with the unit your probably very correct but not with a custom tune
Old 10-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Lexybird
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

if your talking about a cann tune that comes with the unit your probably very correct but not with a custom tune

i ran their two canned tunes then I customized it by adding some timing and leaning it out some also . No gains to be had . I'm sure a data logged custom tune from someone would help but I don't see it being much better . For every good review of that there were just as many who said they didn't see much performance and there's no real world dyno testing that backs up these tuners claims . Do enough research and the evidence is a mixed bag with many saying the car was slower in the quarter or lost hp power even after data logging custom tuning

Last edited by Lexybird; 10-11-2017 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:24 AM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Can 10-15RWHP really be expected on an essentially stock C5Z? Corsa X-pipe and extreme catback is about the only modification. Dual cone intake can't be doing much.

Quick Reply: New to tunes...