Tuning Advise… installing cam - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C5 Scan & Tune
Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo

Tuning Advise… installing cam

Old 11-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
Joshboody
CF Senior Member

Default Tuning Advise… installing cam

Need to replace balancer so decided to install cam (224/230 .550 on 111+2 LSA). Otherwise stock LS1 including exhaust manifolds. 110k miles and primarily HPDE car.

I’m debating tuning method… originally was thinking MAF and VE by trims adding some extra in the top end to be safe. But now I’m thinking should do wideband.

With cam only, stock exhaust… you think trims are acceptable tuning method for the track?

For WB, I am thinking LC-2 temporary install into front O2 using battery pos and neg posts with maybe a switch. Good plan?

Or do a mail order tune for simplicity? Don’t want to pay for dyno/street tune yet as I likely will add heads/headers later. And I'd want it to be open tune since I like to tinker, especially with E mix.
Joshboody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
tblu92
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I wouldn't go thru the trouble and time of a VE tune---Not necessary---If you were a tuner with your own software maybe--But the HP gains are minimal and drive ability will suffer
At your expected HP levels the stock open/closed loop tune with the MAF would be the simplest and easily done via mail order--A VE tune would require taking it to a tuning shop
On larger duration cams I often will disable the LTFT fuel trims as they tend never to settle down or clean up your cam is on higher end of the mild side so you should be able to use the trims------ When using LT headers they will also tend to make your fuel trims go crazy so I would then also turn them off
tblu92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:25 AM   #3
Joshboody
CF Senior Member

I have HP Tuners and think I know it fairly well playing around with stock ls1. If I tuned by trims I’d prob do both MAF and VE separately but would have to extrapolate the top end based on CL. Then confirm it by narrow band readings. This sounds ok to me, but if bad idea... I could buy WB plug into front O2 on OL. Or mail order, but it would have to be unlocked.

Anyway, trying to decide. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-18-2017, 04:06 AM   #4
romandian
CF Senior Member

without wideband you are like a blind in the dark. you can get them for under $200.
romandian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:07 AM   #5
romandian
CF Senior Member

without wideband you are like a blind in the dark. you can get them for under $200. and put it into the rear bung.
romandian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:54 AM   #6
Joshboody
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romandian View Post
without wideband you are like a blind in the dark. you can get them for under $200. and put it into the rear bung.
I hear ya. I’ve never wired a WB before and working with stock manifolds/cats.

I was thinking... use battery pos / neg with switch for temp install plugged into AC sensor. Use front O2 with tune forced into OL, then replace NB after tuned. Good plan?

Last edited by Joshboody; 11-18-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:59 AM   #7
Joshboody
CF Senior Member

Just noticed you suggested rear bung... you think post cat is ok? But isn’t it best to tune in OL anyway?
Old 11-21-2017, 05:42 AM   #8
tblu92
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The stock narrow band 02's on cars newer than 99 are actually quite accurate-- Not like the pre 98 02's that were not heated-- On a street car you can get the WOT fueling close enough without giving up any top end HP----as long as you error just slightly on the side of rich---I ideally using the stock narrow band 02's try to get the voltages around .900 millivolts----higher is richer-----
tblu92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #9
Joshboody
CF Senior Member

Tuned idle and by trims up to 4,500 rpms... MAF is easy, VE a little painful so far. Quick 2nd gear romp looks ok around 900mv. Will temp wire a WB soon... deciding now whether a simple WOT check with WB in secondary location or doing a full OL tune in the primary position.

Question:
During VE tuning, I failed MAF with 1Hz high freq but did NOT change the DTC. After about 15min of driving CEL and low power... this happened twice. Changing to "fail on 1st error" will eliminate this?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:26 PM   #10
RedRiderZR1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
Tuned idle and by trims up to 4,500 rpms... MAF is easy, VE a little painful so far. Quick 2nd gear romp looks ok around 900mv. Will temp wire a WB soon... deciding now whether a simple WOT check with WB in secondary location or doing a full OL tune in the primary position.

Question:
During VE tuning, I failed MAF with 1Hz high freq but did NOT change the DTC. After about 15min of driving CEL and low power... this happened twice. Changing to "fail on 1st error" will eliminate this?
Yes. The MAF DTC needs to be set to Fail on First Error to fail the MAF.
RedRiderZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedRiderZR1 For This Useful Post:
Joshboody (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #11
Joshboody
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiderZR1 View Post
Yes. The MAF DTC needs to be set to Fail on First Error to fail the MAF.
Thanks! Seemed MAF was failed since trims were so diff, but after 10-15min limp mode.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

OP, when you change a cam shaft size, any camshaft size from stock you have altered the VE "volumetric efficiency" of said engine. To tune it correctly you need to remap the VE table then turn your MAF back on and tune that appropriately.
DOUG @ ECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #13
Joshboody
CF Senior Member

I ended up with temp install post-cat... and from the initial scans seems pretty accurate so far. You do have to be careful though... for example right after WOT sitting at stop light think there's residual fuel in the exhaust causing richer readings. And idle is very slightly richer... which seems opposite. But so far at speed seems you can trust the readings.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:48 PM   #14
[email protected]
Supporting Vendor

Doug is correct...most tuners do not take the time or effort to adjust the VE and will even deliver the car with the High RPM Disable at "MAF only" (i.e 400 rpm). The VE is used for transient compensation during the blended strategy and really makes the throttle/vehicle more responsivebut which is a prime desire for an HPDE outing. Drag cars can use MAF only as they are just stab and go... numerous Hard Accel/Decel events leave the MAF airflow reporting seriously in error due to the intake manifolds dynamic nature. Its like a sponge...absorbs air during hard acel (fill the vacuum) and releases air during hard decel thus making the g/cyl calculation to predict cylinder air mass inaccurate thus resulting in overly rich or lean fueling....the place track cars live in most of their lives....

VE can be tuned on the street though it is simpler on a load bearing dyno. Proper use of filters (especially throttle up/down) will help improve your error data and provide quicker and more accurate updates.

As far as the Wideband in a postcat position, not the best spot especially if using OEM cats....after all they wont heat up as much and do consume o2 as a part of their job so it will affect the readings. You will see a leaner reading for sure....I would use about a half a point leaner for tuning purposes. Certainly idle and low cruise could have issues. If this is the only way, then I would almost recomment tuning the idle/cruise with the trims and use the wideband for PE/WOT scenario's.

Ed M

Featuring EFI Live/HP Tuners Performance Tuning in-house or remotely and HP Tuner/EFI Live training by ERM Performance Tuning
www.ermperformancetuning.com

Last edited by [email protected]; 12-04-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Ed@TheVetteDoctors is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
Joshboody (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #15
Joshboody
CF Senior Member

I'm doing a combo of trims and WOT AFR tuning both VE and MAF... I find the car is smoother in SD than MAF only. I don't really trust the fuel cells for filtering and instead using TPS and speed. Actually the WB seems to be richer post cat, which makes sense if cat takes out O2. I'll check it in the front in OL soon... 1 unsure thing about post cat is the voltage offset which will be confirmed pre-cat.

I'm learning a lot with my first comprehensive LS tune. I just changed cam keeping stock exhaust for now. MAF didn't need to be changed much except was pretty rich from the factory. VE table is very different though.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #16
T5Mika
CF Senior Member

Interesting stuff, isn't it? I am going through exactly the same process now with LC-2 at rear bung. I got the VE almost tuned, and hoping to move to MAF this weekend. I got some false knock that's been slowing me down, as I've been weary to desens the KR.
Need to try racing gas to verify there's no true knock. My target PE AFRs are under 13, and the spark is conservative, but I have an UD pulley that some say can cause resonances that look like false knock.
T5Mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #17
Joshboody
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5Mika View Post
Interesting stuff, isn't it? I am going through exactly the same process now with LC-2 at rear bung. I got the VE almost tuned, and hoping to move to MAF this weekend. I got some false knock that's been slowing me down, as I've been weary to desens the KR.
Need to try racing gas to verify there's no true knock. My target PE AFRs are under 13, and the spark is conservative, but I have an UD pulley that some say can cause resonances that look like false knock.
1 of my first tuning exercises was false knock. I ended up going to an E mix to rule out real knock and increased the global gain which eliminated it.

Also increased decay rate and lowered max retard when on 91... which my 91 map is very conservative, but very occasionally there will be slight KR.

Since doing the cam, I will experiment reducing my gain to see if something may have changed.

Last edited by Joshboody; 12-07-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #18
Podium
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblu92 View Post
I wouldn't go thru the trouble and time of a VE tune---Not necessary---If you were a tuner with your own software maybe--But the HP gains are minimal and drive ability will suffer

You're kidding right?

Last edited by Podium; 12-08-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Tuning Advise… installing cam
  •