C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Please help me get my damned SCT X4 to talk to my car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 07:11 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Please help me get my damned SCT X4 to talk to my car!

Hello everyone, after 3 weeks of trying everything I can think of I can't for the life of me get my x4 to work with my 01 coupe. I had the rear diff rebuilt a few weeks ago and bought an X4 tuning package from RDP to save me having to spend $150 to have a shop adjust the shift points and tune the auto trans for the new 3.73's I had installed. Well no matter what I try I can't seem to get the car and tuner to talk to each other. It will read my cars voltage and vin and stuff, but when I try and upload the factory tune or tune it myself I get the general error code and no dice. After spending hours and hours on the phone with SCT and pulling some fuses and resetting the battery I'm still no closer to success than before. I used a local shops code reader to ensure my odb2 port was working, and it is.
My only thoughts are that the car has a few things I still need to fix, the steering wheel position sensor and oil pressure sending unit both took a crap on me, and I have intermittent problems with the left and right door communication modules.
To anyones knowledge could any of these influence the ability to sync the tuner with the car?
I'm going to replace the SWPS and OPSU next week just because they need to be done, but I'm not all that hopeful. Is there a fuse I can pull for either or both of these to bypass em and pretend they were fixed?
Aftermarket electronics in the car are just a touch screen double din pioneer unit, and led bulbs everywhere, inside and out.

Any help would be amazing, I'm kind of freaking out, as whenever I drive longer than 10 minutes the car thinks its not shifting right because of the high cruising RPMS and causes the trans to increase its shift strength to 100% when shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 when I'm off the freeway after. Which is like getting kicked in the spine, and I'm worried it might hurt the trans. The new gears are still breaking in so Im driving it like a minivan, no hard driving yet.
Thanks for looking, ill appreciate all the help anyone can offer.
-Gabe

Last edited by GabeNation; 04-12-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:10 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Any ideas?
Old 04-17-2018, 02:49 AM
GabeNation
Instructor

Still haven’t figured it out.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:16 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Still no luck, please if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.
-Gabe
Old 04-25-2018, 04:18 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I know your pain, I bought the same tuner here on the fourm and it is a royal pain to get it to sync with the ECU. I had to call their tech line, they were very helpful, you will need to pull about 7 fuses from under the hood and also from the fuse box under the pass side kick panel. I believe I marked the ones I pulled that finally allowed the tuner to interface I can get them to you and I am sure you will be able to connect then. I'll get back here soon, hopefully you have not given up totally, it is possible.
The following users liked this post:
GabeNation (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 05:53 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Originally Posted by tombrammer
I know your pain, I bought the same tuner here on the fourm and it is a royal pain to get it to sync with the ECU. I had to call their tech line, they were very helpful, you will need to pull about 7 fuses from under the hood and also from the fuse box under the pass side kick panel. I believe I marked the ones I pulled that finally allowed the tuner to interface I can get them to you and I am sure you will be able to connect then. I'll get back here soon, hopefully you have not given up totally, it is possible.
Hey thanks so much for the help. Yeah if there’s any way to get a list of those fuses I’d really appreciate it. This is my daily driver and it’s all sorts of messed up with the new gears and an non programmed trans.
-Gabe
Old 04-25-2018, 07:34 PM
tombrammer
Pro

My vett is a 2001 just like yours, under the hood I had to pull fuses 50 & 52 Air pump and Anti-Lock brakes and under the dash, the pass side kick panel fuse box I had to pull 2,4,5,6,9,13,22,23,25,30 and 33. Mine would not link up if any of those fuses were still in the fuse box. Also you need 12+ volts w key on so make sure your battery is fully charged. Good luck and hope this helps.
GabeNation (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 07:40 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Under hood fuse box, shaded fuses have to come out.
GabeNation (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 07:42 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Pass side fuse box, shaded fuses need to be pulled.
GabeNation (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 07:44 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Seems kind of crazy to pay that much for a tuner and then have to pull so many fuses, I say foul! Anyway too late to go back now, at least other people can learn from this.
How do you like the new gears, seems like a nice upgrade for you w an auto?

Last edited by tombrammer; 04-25-2018 at 07:46 PM.
GabeNation (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 11:12 PM
GabeNation
Instructor

Seems kind of crazy to pay that much for a tuner and then have to pull so many fuses, I say foul! Anyway too late to go back now, at least other people can learn from this.
How do you like the new gears, seems like a nice upgrade for you w an auto?
DUDE!!! YOU MIGHT BE THE BEST FRIEND I EVER HAD! Hahaha, thank you SOOOO much. I pulled all the fuses and it still didn't work, but after flipping up the headlights it did! I'm the happiest little bastard in California right now. Haha. Seriously thank you a thousand times, I spent hours on the line with them and they never told me to pull almost any of those.
About the gears, I really don't know yet, since its been driving like crap I haven't been able to see and haven't wanted to push it. I'll probably post a full review after I get it tuned and the gears adjusted and new tires to actually put all that power to use.
Seriously thanks again though!
-Gabe
Old 04-26-2018, 12:56 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Hey you are welcome, always glad to help out a fellow vett owner. Super glad pulling the fuses seemed to work for you, I know I had a terrible time figuring out mine, you are basically on your own. I know how much I love driving my vett I also know how frustrating it is when they are messed up and you need help. Yea be sure to get back and let us know how you mods went. someday I want to do either 3.73's or 3.90.
GabeNation (05-03-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 11:47 PM
Imamotohead
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m having EXACTLY the same issue with the SCT I got from RDP. I am trying to save the stock tune on my ‘03 Z06 and keep getting an error code. I have contacted SCT once but didn’t have the time to trouble shoot with them on that call. Tom or Gabe do you think pulling the same fuses will work on my Z? I assume that while the tuning between a Z and a Coupe would be different the operating system would be the same. Does that make sense? Any and all input is MUCH appreciated!
Old 05-13-2018, 09:50 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Yes I bet that is it, try pulling the fuses, make sure you have 12+v w key on and see if that helps, get back and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:48 PM
Imamotohead
Advanced

I finally got the chance to try pulling the fuses to see if the X4 tuner would communicate with the Z06. It worked!!
Thanks soooo much for the assist! It sure was nice not to have to spend hours with the SCT techline. Gotta love the Forum! I sent the file to Steve at RDP. Hopefully I’ll get the tune back early next week. Can't wait to drive the car tuned up. Thanks again for the help!!

Scott
Old 05-20-2018, 10:54 AM
tombrammer
Pro

Glad it worked for you, yes this forum is great. I like my tune from RDP but I wish they told you how to pull the fuses and which ones, would make life much easier and more happy satisfied customers for their business.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:48 PM
Imamotohead
Advanced

Glad it worked for you, yes this forum is great. I like my tune from RDP but I wish they told you how to pull the fuses and which ones, would make life much easier and more happy satisfied customers for their business.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help me get my damned SCT X4 to talk to my car!

Old 05-21-2018, 11:40 PM
Imamotohead
Advanced

Installed the tune tonight. Noticeably better! It really woke up the mods. Runs smoother everywhere and pulls HARD! Love it!
Old 06-01-2018, 10:09 PM
DrLs7
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you guys getting an error message while trying to upload stock tune from car to decice?
Old 06-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Imamotohead
Advanced

Yes, that’s right. I was getting an error message when trying to upload the stock tune into the device. When I pulled the fuses mentioned in tombrammer’s post it worked perfectly. Pulled the fuses again when installing the tune from Steve @ RDP. Again it worked perfectly. If that’s your issue, try pulling the fuses and let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Please help me get my damned SCT X4 to talk to my car!