C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Remote Tuning an LS3 swapped C5

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Jason Zajac
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Build a stroked LS1 or 6.0 iron block.... otherwise Knock sensors won't work. Everyone who knows better.... knows this.

The guys with non existent knock sensors...or knock sensors in the wrong location or otherwise in the wrong block/ecm configuration

are wasting time, money, and possibly much more.

Chuck CoW
Yeah guess we run in 2 different circles of people.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:46 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette tuner in Tampa

Swaps are difficult to calibrate properly in real time. Remotely makes it more difficult. I dont do them remotely because they seem to have bugs creep into the tuning process that needs evaluation to determine if its tune related or mechanical issue.

Your tuner will love you if you swap the engine, transmission and computer from the same donor vehicle.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:21 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

While trolling the interwebs, I stumbled across the following at https://www.lsenginediy.com/

Knock SensorKnock sensors are used by the PCM to reduce ignition timing if detonation occurs. With varyingfrequencies produced by the engine, the knock sensor vibrates to generate a small voltage thatis interpreted by the PCM as normal (no ignition timing retard necessary) to severe (retardignition timing by predetermined amount).

For best results, the knock sensor(s) should be located where detonation-related frequenciescan be detected. The sensor should be of a design that accurately generates the appropriatevoltages to the PCM when those frequencies occur. With the introduction of aftermarketvalvetrain upgrades, larger-cubic-inch engine builds, and other aftermarket parts that alterengine frequencies, matching a knock sensor, its location, and PCM calibration details can bedifficult.

There are two types of knock sensors used with the LS-series PCMs: resonant and flatresponse. The resonant sensor is a single-wire connection to the PCM and the flat-responsesensor is a two-wire connection to the PCM.

Resonant Knock SensorThe single-wire resonant knock sensor was introduced with early small-block engines. This sensor typically threads into one of the coolant plug holes near the center of the block justabove the oil pan. TPI engines use only one knock sensor and, with the exclusion of theCamaro and Firebird, LT1 engines use two knock sensors.

LS-series engines use a similar knock sensor with a straight M10x1.5 thread. In the LSseries engine, resonant knock sensorsare found under the intake manifold.

Flat-Response Knock SensorThe two-wire, flat-response knock sensor requires either an attaching bolt or stud forattachment to the engine. The flat-response knock sensor was introduced with the 2005 LS2engine and with the 2001 4.3L Vortec engine. With proper calibration changes and a littleengine wiring work, the early LS-series PCM can be configured to use the flat-response knocksensors. It’s a convenience for LS2 engine swaps into LS1 vehicles.

OK>>”With proper calibration changes and a little engine wiring work, the early LS-series PCM can be configured to use the flat-response knock Sensors”.

Has anyone out there who has performed the LS3 Crate Motor Swap using LS2 or LS3 (GEN IV) Knock Sensors got their C5 Based PCM to tune/work with these (GEN IV) Knock Sensors?Goose
Old 01-24-2019, 01:42 PM
sydneyACE
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 69
While trolling the interwebs, I stumbled across the following at https://www.lsenginediy.com/

Knock SensorKnock sensors are used by the PCM to reduce ignition timing if detonation occurs. With varyingfrequencies produced by the engine, the knock sensor vibrates to generate a small voltage thatis interpreted by the PCM as normal (no ignition timing retard necessary) to severe (retardignition timing by predetermined amount).

For best results, the knock sensor(s) should be located where detonation-related frequenciescan be detected. The sensor should be of a design that accurately generates the appropriatevoltages to the PCM when those frequencies occur. With the introduction of aftermarketvalvetrain upgrades, larger-cubic-inch engine builds, and other aftermarket parts that alterengine frequencies, matching a knock sensor, its location, and PCM calibration details can bedifficult.

There are two types of knock sensors used with the LS-series PCMs: resonant and flatresponse. The resonant sensor is a single-wire connection to the PCM and the flat-responsesensor is a two-wire connection to the PCM.

Resonant Knock SensorThe single-wire resonant knock sensor was introduced with early small-block engines. This sensor typically threads into one of the coolant plug holes near the center of the block justabove the oil pan. TPI engines use only one knock sensor and, with the exclusion of theCamaro and Firebird, LT1 engines use two knock sensors.

LS-series engines use a similar knock sensor with a straight M10x1.5 thread. In the LSseries engine, resonant knock sensorsare found under the intake manifold.

Flat-Response Knock SensorThe two-wire, flat-response knock sensor requires either an attaching bolt or stud forattachment to the engine. The flat-response knock sensor was introduced with the 2005 LS2engine and with the 2001 4.3L Vortec engine. With proper calibration changes and a littleengine wiring work, the early LS-series PCM can be configured to use the flat-response knocksensors. It’s a convenience for LS2 engine swaps into LS1 vehicles.

OK>>”With proper calibration changes and a little engine wiring work, the early LS-series PCM can be configured to use the flat-response knock Sensors”.

Has anyone out there who has performed the LS3 Crate Motor Swap using LS2 or LS3 (GEN IV) Knock Sensors got their C5 Based PCM to tune/work with these (GEN IV) Knock Sensors?Goose
I would also like to know this...
Just finished an LS3 swap into my C5, was wanting to use the LS3 knock sensors but didn't know how to make the 2 wire setup work with my ECM. So I'm running the single wire ones currently.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:30 PM
sydneyACE
Racer

Anyone?
Old 02-18-2020, 05:18 AM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Going through this now. Anyone find a solution?
Old 02-18-2020, 10:48 AM
sydneyACE
Racer

I've been running an LS3 in my C5 for about a year now.

I ended up just putting the factory, LS1, single wire sensors into the side of the LS3 block.
There are a couple of unused, threaded bosses on each side of the block that you can use.
Then just extend the factory harness to reach them.

They seem to be working perfectly. We listened for knock with headphones, and the knock sensors seem to pick it up just a fraction of a second before we could hear it in the headphone setup.

Obviously your mileage may vary, but I haven't had any issues.
2001 ECM for reference.

Last edited by sydneyACE; 02-21-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:44 AM
PNW_C5Z
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronc7
email tuning is getting more and more popular so I'm sure theres lots more these days, but here are a few that I have used that have been doing it for a while:

https://www.tunedbynishan.com/support.html

https://www.guerragroup.com/efi-tuning
Originally Posted by sydneyACE
I've been running an LS3 in my C5 for about a year now.

I ended up just putting the factory, LS1, single wire sensors into the side of the LS3 block.
There are a couple of unused, threaded bosses on each side of the block that you can use.
Then just extend the factory harness to reach them.

They seem to be working perfectly. We listened for knock with headphones, and the knock sensors seem to pick it up just a fraction of a second before we could hear it in the headphone setup.

Obviously your mileage may vary, but I haven't had any issues.
2001 EMC for reference.
Same. 42k miles on the LS3 (PO put it in). Not sure what all this talk is about "you can't put an LS3 in a C5."
Old 02-21-2020, 07:49 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Coming up on 2 years with my L92/LS3 swap and drives awesome.
The following users liked this post:
BrianSco (03-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Remote Tuning an LS3 swapped C5