SCT X4 won't tune 1999 C5 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo

SCT X4 won't tune 1999 C5

Old 06-24-2018, 07:57 AM
toughmandave

Default SCT X4 won't tune 1999 C5

Bought a SCT X4 tuner (not married, 5 tunes left) for 1999 Corvette. Continually get error code 110B8 when tuning. Called SCT. They said make sure battery has 12.0+ volts. Pull a number of fuses (about 25 different ones). Did a battery disconnect and hold brake pedal for 3 minutes. Cleared DTCs. Still cannot program it. Sent it back and tried another one. Same problem. Any suggestions? Maybe the SCT X4 isn't compatible with the 99 Vette? Now I am trying to get SCT to download new firmware. Have to wait until they are open on weekdays.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:42 AM
toughmandave

Update: SCT's advertisements are deceiving for their X4 tuner. First of all on my 99 Corvette requires a custom tune once I get the tuner to even work. I have spent several hours working with SCT just to get this tuner even to connect to my vette. It's not as simple as they lead you to believe. I have heard that the car is too old to simply hook up the tuner to pulling about 25 fuses and that might not even work. A firmware update will not work. They suggest I bring the car to one of their tuner dealers and see if they can fix it. At $80.00 per hour to try to make it work and at $250.00 for a tune plus $399.95 for the tuner is absolutely nuts. I will just have out local speed shop do a dyno tune and be done with it for about $150.00 - $175.00. I would not recommend an SCT tuner unless the selling dealer guarantees you can return it with no expense occurred! And I hope one works for you.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:41 AM
DrLs7

Hate to hear of your situation. I got the same x4 tuner from RDP, for my 2000. Had to pull a few 3 fuses under hood and 11 under dash to get it to sync up. I got tune sent to me. loaded it, After that all has been great.

Last edited by DrLs7; 06-27-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:24 AM
toughmandave

Originally Posted by DrLs7 View Post
Hate to hear of your situation. I got the same x4 tuner from RDP, for my 2000. Had to pull a few 3 fuses under hood and 11 under dash to get it to sync up. I got tune sent to me. loaded it, After that all has been great.
I wasn't about to go through all that plus pay for a tune for an unknown amount of performance increase. So I sent it back to the seller. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by toughmandave; 06-30-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:39 PM
tabbruzz
CF Senior Member

Is this a one time thing with pulling the fuses or everytime you want to play with the tune?
Old 08-04-2018, 01:54 PM
DrLs7

Originally Posted by tabbruzz View Post
Is this a one time thing with pulling the fuses or everytime you want to play with the tune?
Anytime you change the tune.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:06 PM
monteholic
CF Member

I purchased an X4 from RDP last week and had the same issues with my 2003, after 45 minutes with the SCT tech and jumping thru all their hoops with no luck....I sent it back to RDP, waiting on the refund as we speak
I call Diablo and they said I may have the same issue with their's too
I just wanted to play with my shift points/firmness and change the torque management

not sure if I'll even try a Diablo, if I do...I get it from Amazon so the return is easy if needed

Last edited by monteholic; 08-04-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:25 PM
toughmandave

I finally gave up also. Sent the tuner back for a full refund. I did check with our local speedshop who is a SCT tuner facility. $85.00 per hour to do the diagnostics. Once they have figured it out a custom tune is $450.00. They said since I have a cold air induction and aftermarket exhaust I would have to have a custom tune put in the X4, otherwise the tuner would be useless for performance. The only thing the X4 is good for for me is it clears and identifies error codes. I have a manual trans with standard tires so that part of the tuner would not be applicable to my car either. SCT doesn't tell you all this when you buy their tuner so if you get one make sure you can send it back to the seller. I was lucky and the seller took it back for a full refund.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:01 PM
DrLs7

I bought the x4 and love it, Steve is always fast with any changes I need or new custom tunes and you cant beat the price. It takes about a min to pull fuses, that's no big deal. I have saved a lot of money so far going this route, not to mention gains I've achieved on my ets. If you want something to plug and make gear changes and temp changes , any small changes then yes get a regular programmer. If you are making engine component changes i.e. heads , cam, intake etc theb ScT x4 is it!
Old 08-05-2018, 10:44 AM
tabbruzz
CF Senior Member

Anytime you change the tune.
thank you..perhaps hp tuners is the better option..still inquiring
Old 08-10-2018, 07:00 PM
99blackvert

Hello everyone,I had the exact same problem with my X4.But,I did resolve the problem and was able to get it to work.I made a bench top harness,and it (X4) works perfectly.Like everyone else I was pissed I sunk the money into the tuner only to get the download error please return to stock message everytime.Pulling fuses,waste of time,calling SCT produced no good results-even though I am very happy with their customer service team.Great group of people.Making the harness was easy.less than 30.00$ and only about an hour of time to make it.Just my .25 cents
Old 08-11-2018, 02:41 PM
tombrammer
CF Senior Member

Can you please tell the rest of us who have to keep pulling fuses how you made the harness? What schematic did you use? Would be a great help, thanks.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:56 PM
99blackvert

Old 08-11-2018, 05:00 PM
99blackvert

Let me know if you need more info.I acquired all the parts from my local Pick a Part.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:32 AM
tombrammer
CF Senior Member

Thanks, you plug this straight into the computer right? I just dont understand why SCT doesn't make this. I wish you would make them and sell them, I don't know if I could swing this, how much electronic skill does it take if I could figure out the schematic? Is the power source the car battery?

Last edited by tombrammer; 08-13-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:12 PM
itsonlyairandfuel
CF Senior Member

Do you go into the fender , remove the wheel etc. to use this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SCT X4 won't tune 1999 C5

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: