C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tuning for a 3200 stall converter 99 a4 3.15s

Old 08-05-2018, 01:26 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Tuning for a 3200 stall converter 99 a4 3.15s

Folks,

I plan to buy hp tuners soon but did tune my car few years back. I never really did anything after the 3200 install. I just did you average changes most do on these cars. The engine is stock, headers, vararam, catback, z06 intake...that's pretty much it. Car runs good but perhaps I should change the tranny setting such as lockup and other tranny settings...please let me know what you guys have done with a 3200 stall...thanks very much
Old 08-06-2018, 12:23 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

YES there are several things you must do when addin a stall converter--It affects you engine more than you think
1. You need to set your TCC MIN//MAX PWM tables to 95% minimum and 99% maximum---This makes the converter lock hard without and slippage and consequent overheating--
2 I would always recccomend to delete the 3rd gear lock/unlock in your tune and to set the 4th geat lockup to freeway speeds like 53 MPH min up to around 35% TP and after that add 5 MPH to the end of the table at 100% TPS
3 In the 4th unlock table copy and paste the 4th gear lock table into the 4th gear unlock table--Then subtract 13 MPH to the entire table
4 A stall converter adds lots of heat to your trans fluid--I would reccomend an aftermarket additional trans cooler--Not a tube and fin style but a cooler that looks like a mini radiator---called a stacked cooler
5 Instal a 160 thermo in your cooling system----Then you can re set both your coolong fans to come on earlier ( remember your trans fluid goes thru your radiator in stock trim to cool the trans ) So cooling the radiator with a 160 themo and adjusting your fan settings lower will keep both your engine and trans to run much cooler
6 A stall converter creates "FALSE MISFIRES" so it is imperitive to delete all your misfire tables----( a misfire whether real or false will NOT allow your converter to LOCK UP ) Making it overheat--
7 With a 3200 stal you should be able to add lots of timing from of idle to converter stal at 3200 at WOT--This allows your engine to more rapidly accelerate before stall--as the timing will ramp in much faster--And being that the engine is almost in a no load situation there will be little chance of detonation-----Often times I can set the timing from 1000 RPM's to 3200 RPM's with a 3200 stall at WOT from 17-24* timing without any detonation and only a huge gain in throttle response--------
Old 08-06-2018, 12:05 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tblu92
YES there are several things you must do when addin a stall converter--It affects you engine more than you think
1. You need to set your TCC MIN//MAX PWM tables to 95% minimum and 99% maximum---This makes the converter lock hard without and slippage and consequent overheating--
2 I would always recccomend to delete the 3rd gear lock/unlock in your tune and to set the 4th geat lockup to freeway speeds like 53 MPH min up to around 35% TP and after that add 5 MPH to the end of the table at 100% TPS
3 In the 4th unlock table copy and paste the 4th gear lock table into the 4th gear unlock table--Then subtract 13 MPH to the entire table
4 A stall converter adds lots of heat to your trans fluid--I would reccomend an aftermarket additional trans cooler--Not a tube and fin style but a cooler that looks like a mini radiator---called a stacked cooler
5 Instal a 160 thermo in your cooling system----Then you can re set both your coolong fans to come on earlier ( remember your trans fluid goes thru your radiator in stock trim to cool the trans ) So cooling the radiator with a 160 themo and adjusting your fan settings lower will keep both your engine and trans to run much cooler
6 A stall converter creates "FALSE MISFIRES" so it is imperitive to delete all your misfire tables----( a misfire whether real or false will NOT allow your converter to LOCK UP ) Making it overheat--
7 With a 3200 stal you should be able to add lots of timing from of idle to converter stal at 3200 at WOT--This allows your engine to more rapidly accelerate before stall--as the timing will ramp in much faster--And being that the engine is almost in a no load situation there will be little chance of detonation-----Often times I can set the timing from 1000 RPM's to 3200 RPM's with a 3200 stall at WOT from 17-24* timing without any detonation and only a huge gain in throttle response--------
you are the man....tank you very much...I may actually PM you if you are cool with that. My house tuners should be here in the next couple of days...this is very good info...🌝
Old 08-06-2018, 12:11 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Just add based on your comments I do have an external tranny cooler added and it works great. The tranny really does not get hot at all. Its a pro torque 3200 stall with a STR around 2.1 or so from what I remember. I bought it used from a friend so I did not have the paperwork on it....
Old 08-12-2018, 03:14 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by tabbruzz
Just add based on your comments I do have an external tranny cooler added and it works great. The tranny really does not get hot at all. Its a pro torque 3200 stall with a STR around 2.1 or so from what I remember. I bought it used from a friend so I did not have the paperwork on it....
Beyond the false misfires witth a stall converter you MUST make the hi stall converter LOCK UP instantly or quicker o]therwise your trans fluid temps will spike up beyond 240* To help this only tuning will make the converter lock quickly without slipping and excerssive heat This is accoomplished by setting the PWM tables in your TCC lock up to 95 % minimum and 98 % maximum This makes your converter snap quickly to applied and as well to dis engaged
Old 08-12-2018, 11:07 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Beyond the false misfires witth a stall converter you MUST make the hi stall converter LOCK UP instantly or quicker o]therwise your trans fluid temps will spike up beyond 240* To help this only tuning will make the converter lock quickly without slipping and excerssive heat This is accoomplished by setting the PWM tables in your TCC lock up to 95 % minimum and 98 % maximum This makes your converter snap quickly to applied and as well to dis engaged
Just configured that last night...talk soon

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning for a 3200 stall converter 99 a4 3.15s

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuning for a 3200 stall converter 99 a4 3.15s