C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Po 2138

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 10:44 PM
visionary
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Po 2138

I have been chasing this code for a few weeks. I have a scan tool and can remove the code even while driving. So today I decided to take off the throttle body. The car has 16000 miles (2006 C6 base coupe) and although the throttle body was not really dirty I did notice the throttle blade was not exactly tight. You could hear it rattle slightly when moving the blade. Tightened the 2 small set screws and so far no code. Could it really have been that easy?

Mike Fesi
Old 08-27-2018, 08:44 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by visionary
I have been chasing this code for a few weeks. I have a scan tool and can remove the code even while driving. So today I decided to take off the throttle body. The car has 16000 miles (2006 C6 base coupe) and although the throttle body was not really dirty I did notice the throttle blade was not exactly tight. You could hear it rattle slightly when moving the blade. Tightened the 2 small set screws and so far no code. Could it really have been that easy?

Mike Fesi
Remember that a drive by wire throttle as on your car does NOT have an idle air control valve that adds airflow during start up ---rather it opens the throttle blade somewhat when the key is turned on-- so the throttle should be opened slightly and that aids in starting Now there are other issues that can cause that code but they are rare on a stockish bolt on engine ---Having the throttle bolts loose would add extra airflow which is un metered by your MAF and would pop a code--so if the code does not come back your golden--
Old 08-27-2018, 11:28 PM
visionary
Instructor

Originally Posted by tblu92
Remember that a drive by wire throttle as on your car does NOT have an idle air control valve that adds airflow during start up ---rather it opens the throttle blade somewhat when the key is turned on-- so the throttle should be opened slightly and that aids in starting Now there are other issues that can cause that code but they are rare on a stockish bolt on engine ---Having the throttle bolts loose would add extra airflow which is un metered by your MAF and would pop a code--so if the code does not come back your golden--
Thanks for the reply. I haven't had the code pop up since tightening the throttle body blade attachment screws. It is still hard to believe it could have been that simple, and there was no way to diagnose this particular problem. I'll take credit for being lucky instead of good on this one! The car does run better since I did the work and I hope you are correct. Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2020, 09:29 AM
Jorge Leija
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any update

Originally Posted by visionary
Thanks for the reply. I haven't had the code pop up since tightening the throttle body blade attachment screws. It is still hard to believe it could have been that simple, and there was no way to diagnose this particular problem. I'll take credit for being lucky instead of good on this one! The car does run better since I did the work and I hope you are correct. Thanks again!

any update on what happened I just got the same problem with my car.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:30 PM
visionary
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jorge Leija
any update on what happened I just got the same problem with my car.
Yes my problem has been fixed. The throttle control that is on the gas pedal was the culprit. It's a whole unit that includes a new pedal assembly. I attempted to order one from GM Parts Direct, but they were on back order with an unknown re-stock date. I waited for over a month then went to my local Chevrolet dealer. They asked for the vin number so they could could source the correct the part. Two days later with the aid of a small flat blade screwdriver and a 10mm socket it was fixed. It never reoccurred and I have had zero problems since. This is a very easy job just make sure you disconnect the battery before you remove and replace. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Mike F.

Get notified of new replies

To Po 2138

Quick Reply: Po 2138