C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Need a tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 10:44 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Need a tune

I just threw a set of headers and need a tune to accomadate the changes made. I deleted the AIR system, and the rear o2 sensors.

I look to have basically 3 options for tuning the car. I can use a local tuner(LSxKilr), tune it myself(not sure whats needed), or do a mail order tune. Mail order tune is the cheapest of all the options, but I am looking to add Nitrous later this year. Would it make sense to start to learn to tune the car now or not?
Old 09-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Signal_Hack
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO learning how to tune is invaluable. I dont know what you're budget is, but plan on north of $1k for the essentials. I'm planning on buying HP Tuners again as I've had it previously. I bought a book by Dan Maslic that's been a decent help. There's several videos on YouTube also that are good.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:45 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

whether or not you have a desire to tinker or dabble in tuning makes a difference I think. If you have the desire to learn....then it makes sense to buy the software first and start playing around before you add serious mods. I bought the full efilive software and have used 'email tunes' or 'etune', from tuners which I think is a great way to go these days. I can datalog and send it to the tuner and he will make tune adjustments or give me advice based on that. Basically paying the tuner for his time and expertise, but I get to be involved in the process and learn as I go. Which can be helpful in taking care of small stuff yourself, and being able to diagnose issues in the future.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:41 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Are all of the tuning setups about $1000?

When I had my old ZR-1 with the LT-5 a lot of people would just run an ostrich and datalog with a laptop. I assume the process is similar except the C5 can be changed on the fly using HP Tuners or EFILive?

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:00 AM
Signal_Hack
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by billy mild
Are all of the tuning setups about $1000?

When I had my old ZR-1 with the LT-5 a lot of people would just run an ostrich and datalog with a laptop. I assume the process is similar except the C5 can be changed on the fly using HP Tuners or EFILive?

Thanks for the info.
by the time you buy the actual tuner, be it hpt or efi, and a good wide band, you're just shy of 1000.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:07 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

ECS mail order tunes still only $149 with return shipping...
Old 10-04-2018, 12:30 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

My personal recommendation especially if you've never done it before, Doug at ECS. He knows what he is doing and is one of the best you will ever find. Best part, he stands behind his work. If you need help, he will be there. BTW, this is my way of telling Doug my car is running better since the check up you did on it this past Monday. Running good and mpg's are climbing too. Thanks for your help.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (10-10-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 12:14 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

With HP or EFILIVE yes you can make tuuning corrections on the fly however they are only for testing abd not permanent changes--Called "dynamic vehicle testing " yo can make changes to test only but then must interpret the data and install it permanently into your tune
As others have mentioned you best option wou;d be a mail order tune initially to delete the rear 02's etc---Going to NOS depending on how big a shot you have planned is nore complicated---A small shot like 50-75 HP would require little changes But go above 75 would require to remove some timing to prevent detonation--However if you get a re tune for NOS specifically and the tuner removes 3-6* of timing then your car will be lazy before you use the NOS as the timing deducts would be all the time
There are several NOS controllers out on the market that allow you to use your best tune and once NOS is activated it will remove the needed timing for you automatically---If you are serious about using NOS then you need to look into a hi dollar NOS controller

Get notified of new replies

To Need a tune

Quick Reply: Need a tune