C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C5 Z06 stumbles when hitting third

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 11:45 AM
seebobgo
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default C5 Z06 stumbles when hitting third

So, if I take it to fuel cut off and shift to third gear, it hits a dead spot or stumbles. What would cause that?
Old 11-07-2018, 12:14 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Sounds like you are hitting the "safety rev limiter" Which shuts down fueling creating a stuttering sound--A C5 Z06 has a safety rev limiter of about 6600 RPM's So you need to shift it BEFORE 6600 RPM's to avoid hitting the rev limiter----If this is not what's happening then it can be another issue--What RPM are you shifting at ? And in 3rd is it stuttering or just laying doen on throttle response?
Old 11-07-2018, 09:52 PM
seebobgo
Racer

I'm shifting before rev limiter, but close to it. Feels like an old school carb load up for a brief moment.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:38 AM
MRc5z
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I had an issue too once with the car breaking up sporadically before redline and after shifting. Turned out I had a loose ground wire on the engine block, which was hard to see with the long tubes. Check all your engine grounds on both sides of the block and behind the driver side head.
The following users liked this post:
seebobgo (11-10-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 03:48 PM
seebobgo
Racer

Originally Posted by MRc5z
I had an issue too once with the car breaking up sporadically before redline and after shifting. Turned out I had a loose ground wire on the engine block, which was hard to see with the long tubes. Check all your engine grounds on both sides of the block and behind the driver side head.
It's not breaking up. It's like the throttle peddle looses communication with the throttle body. It just falls on it's *** for a second or so.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:53 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Sounds like MAYBE a glitch in your TPS signal...can’t know for sure unless you put a scope on it...you can try backprobing both TPS signal wires with a DVOM with KOEO and see if the voltage increases then decrease smoothly as the accelerator is pushed down and then released...I did a short video of my ‘01’s TPS signal waveform...I’ll include it here !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 11-11-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:31 PM
seebobgo
Racer

That sounds like a good tip. I'm going to give it to a shop I am using. I'll have him check out the throttle position sensor
Old 11-13-2018, 03:40 PM
seebobgo
Racer

Originally Posted by rwobs777
Sounds like MAYBE a glitch in your TPS signal...can’t know for sure unless you put a scope on it...you can try backprobing both TPS signal wires with a DVOM with KOEO and see if the voltage increases then decrease smoothly as the accelerator is pushed down and then released...I did a short video of my ‘01’s TPS signal waveform...I’ll include it here !!

https://youtu.be/a00TKvi9cWY

Thanks all, problem solved. It was user malfunction. This is a recent procurement. Only had the car a few months. Special thanks to FIVE BAR in Fort Myers.
Turned off traction control and problem solved. I guess the light didn't respond to the split second or I wasn't paying attention. Didn't think it would spin third and I peddled second.
It was putting the brakes on. I feel foolish but not out any coin.

Last edited by seebobgo; 11-13-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 stumbles when hitting third

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 stumbles when hitting third