C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Wide Band O2 sensor mounting

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 01:13 PM
50thz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Wide Band O2 sensor mounting

2003 Z06 - I purchased an AEM AFR gauge with the Bosch WB O2 sensor. I've read multiple articles and forums on where to mount this sensor, I get it. Right now, my car is stock other than CAI, but planning on upgrading things as I go (headers, exhaust, etc.) I have HP Tuners to get a base line and modify/tweak tune as I go. So, here's the question: Reading the instructions that came with the AEM gauge for the third time and I just encountered this from the manual:

"For accurate readings, the sensor must be mounted before catalytic converters and/or auxiliary air pumps."

I understand the catalytic convertor part, but my car still has the air pump. I was planning on mounting the O2 sensor in the exhaust at about the same place it will go when I get headers (collector pipe) so I only have to route wiring once. In theory, the air pump is going to skew my AFR readings. Mounting the sensor "before" the air pump is not going to happen..... I'm guessing the only thing I can do is delete the air pump system. (Not a factor in my state). Any thoughts?
Old 11-07-2018, 09:10 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

The air pump only operates for 3 1/2 minutes after startup and below ~3000 rpm.

It won't have any effect on WOT operation and almost all of your driving, so I would not worry about it. If you get HP tuners/efilive you can easily disable it completely without removing any hardware.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:31 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

yeah since you have hptuners just unplug it and disable the codes in the meantime and when you do headers you can take everything out
Old 11-16-2018, 01:30 PM
50thz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks guys, understood.

Get notified of new replies

To Wide Band O2 sensor mounting

Quick Reply: Wide Band O2 sensor mounting